Status
Not open for further replies.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
It's posted, but losing ground because everyone is posting here
Are there rules on bumping here?
Bumps happen all the time Doc. No rules against it as far as I'm aware. That being said, do you have any plans to take this further? I see this possibly being a big thing.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I don't have privileges to post in the medical professionals private forum.
You could try "Starting a Conversation" with @rolygate, ECF's Forum Manager, and find out what you need to do to gain access to that Forum.

It may take a few days for him to get back to you.

Reactions: Jode

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
It's posted, but losing ground because everyone is posting here
Are there rules on bumping here?
AFAIK, Doctor, there are no rules about bumping anywhere except in the classified ads section. Your report is posted in the second of your posts, I simply did not see it as the link is blue instead of the normal orange, and in tiny type. But I just loaded it and am about to begin reading.

EDIT: No it isn't. I mistook the "report bad post" link for the report you mentioned.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Welcome Dr. Cranfield. I hope you hang around some and let us pick your brain. Lots of people here are politically active and anything you can teach is will be leveraged.

One of the comments I've made on news stories where comments are allowed is, there are millions of people who have been vaping for years. Please find a report of a doctor treating an illness caused by using e-cigs. I have yet to find that and it surprises me. There have to be a few risks for at least some former smokers.

An interesting variation on your study might be a comparison of people who quit cold turkey with those who quit and vape instead. The problem with that study is most of the cold turkey quitters would relapse. (My last relapse was after 10 YEARS.) My view is protection from relapse is what distinguishes ecigs from everything else.

Again, welcome.

Reactions: DC2

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I've shared my report with Dr. Farsalino. This report will probably never be publishable quality. He suggested I blog post it. So I did

I am unclear as to why you are calling it a study. It is a survey.

"was an electronic survey distributed through social media to groups of electronic cigarette users"

That is not real science, but it is an anecdotal survey. That is probably why Dr. F. said it is not "publishable quality"

There is no doubt in my mind that vaping is good harm reduction and better than smoking. However, your admission that you are part-owner of a vaping store, as well as the fact that you took a survey and are calling it a study...

..well lets just say that as an anecdotal, it's a fun read.

As *science* it doesn't pass. ;) Not to mention small sample size of 99 participants (strangers who were culled from social media.)

Hope you will not be offended, since I'm sure I'm not telling you something that as a doctor, you don't already know. A peer reviewed study, with all the right protocols in place, is a far cry from an internet survey.

I have asked my doc to treat me a few times with "anecdotals off the internet", you know, those things people say work for them. He laughed and said "as long as I don't think it will harm you in any way, I'll be glad to work with you......but I can't suggest internet cures to my patients, when I have peer reviewed studies......"

By the way, besides owning a vaping store, what is the nature of your practice? family medicine, chiropractic, etc.?

It is interesting that people will "vet" somebody who comes on here and has a minimal concern about vaping.....something negative.....but if somebody posts something positive, they aren't given the same level of scrutiny.

I'm just giving equal consideration to both types of posters. Since both have something to say IMHO......but you will all get equal vetting as well. :lol:

By the way, I"ve vaped for 3 years and agree with most of everything the other vapers in your survey said.

Last edited:

Dr. Robert Cranfield

Jun 28, 2015
Welcome Dr. Cranfield. I hope you hang around some and let us pick your brain. Lots of people here are politically active and anything you can teach is will be leveraged.

One of the comments I've made on news stories where comments are allowed is, there are millions of people who have been vaping for years. Please find a report of a doctor treating an illness caused by using e-cigs. I have yet to find that and it surprises me. There have to be a few risks for at least some former smokers.

An interesting variation on your study might be a comparison of people who quit cold turkey with those who quit and vape instead. The problem with that study is most of the cold turkey quitters would relapse. (My last relapse was after 10 YEARS.) My view is protection from relapse is what distinguishes ecigs from everything else.

Again, welcome.
True enough. We can predict that there will be delayed consequences of smoking. If there is a difference in health events between cold turkey and Vaping, is it significant? Remember, many who finally make the leap to quit, regardless of the method they use, make that decision because of significant adverse health events. That's why I chose to dwell on the 3 year or more group. By then the adverse consequences of smoking will begin to smooth out.

Reactions: Sirius

Dr. Robert Cranfield

Jun 28, 2015
I am unclear as to why you are calling it a study. It is a survey.

"was an electronic survey distributed through social media to groups of electronic cigarette users"

That is not real science, but it is an anecdotal survey. That is probably why Dr. F. said it is not "publishable quality"

There is no doubt in my mind that vaping is good harm reduction and better than smoking. However, your admission that you are part-owner of a vaping store, as well as the fact that you took a survey and are calling it a study...

..well lets just say that as an anecdotal, it's a fun read.

As *science* it doesn't pass. ;) Not to mention small sample size of 99 participants (strangers who were culled from social media.)

Hope you will not be offended, since I'm sure I'm not telling you something that as a doctor, you don't already know. A peer reviewed study, with all the right protocols in place, is a far cry from an internet survey.

I have asked my doc to treat me a few times with "anecdotals off the internet", you know, those things people say work for them. He laughed and said "as long as I don't think it will harm you in any way, I'll be glad to work with you......but I can't suggest internet cures to my patients, when I have peer reviewed studies......"

By the way, besides owning a vaping store, what is the nature of your practice? family medicine, chiropractic, etc.?

It is interesting that people will "vet" somebody who comes on here and has a minimal concern about vaping.....something negative.....but if somebody posts something positive, they aren't given the same level of scrutiny.

I'm just giving equal consideration to both types of posters. Since both have something to say IMHO......but you will all get equal vetting as well. :lol:

By the way, I"ve vaped for 3 years and agree with most of everything the other vapers in your survey said.
I love scrutiny. A survey becomes a study when the data is analyzed. So this is both. What I'm putting up here is preliminary. It's not done. I have more than 500 surveys returned so far. More than the 99 you mentioned I'm expecting to get around 1000. I'm not sure where that number 99 came from. I have 120 people with 3 or more years vaping. There are always going to be different ways to ask questions that might get different answers. There are different questions that can be asked. The different ways to ask questions can introduce bias. Asking questions on vape active sites can introduce bias. Asking different questions can change results of any study. The goal here is to introduce information in a way that hasn't been done before hoping to stimulate those with greater resources than mine to do it more effectively and professionally. Dr. Farsalinos didn't say my information wasn't publishable. Those were my words and opinion. I'm not a research scientist, just a humble urgent care physician with 35 years in practice and degrees in biology, chemistry and medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread