A step between clapton and fused clapton. For begginers if you mastered the clapton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I twisted two strands (my last 15' or so) of 30g Kanthal, then twisted that back on itself.

The wire is so pretty, I'm debating whether I should wrap coils with it or save it to decorate the Christmas tree.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
So I have ordered my wire and I want to do a giveaway.. a few questions is this legal do people have to age verify for coils and does there have to be any sort of dollar charge or can im just give things away?
Best to get verified for the Classifieds section. All of those participating in that sub-forum are already checked out.

Mash here.

Edit: Well, that link is broken so no joy there.

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Let's get a picture!!
Still can't upload here, so I used my own space.

20171114_083742.jpg

Then I put six wraps around a 2.75mm bamboo skewer and mounted it in my Hannya (the single coil deck masquerading as a dualie). Pico said 0.37 Ohms.

20171114_123637.jpg

It took 50 Watts before it started producing. I can't vape it--at 75 Watts the tank started getting hot.

LikelySplash710

Sep 28, 2017
Still can't upload here, so I used my own space.

20171114_083742.jpg

Then I put six wraps around a 2.75mm bamboo skewer and mounted it in my Hannya (the single coil deck masquerading as a dualie). Pico said 0.37 Ohms.

20171114_123637.jpg

It took 50 Watts before it started producing. I can't vape it--at 75 Watts the tank started getting hot.
I love twisted coils but yes they get super hot. Regardless super sexy build. I just started messing with tc. I could never get a good bit before on tc but I talked to a buddy and he said set it to 132trc at 100w did that and now I get amazing flavorful hits at 350° not sure though I'm using ss216L and I went to power mode then back and now I'm having issues

Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I love twisted coils but yes they get super hot. Regardless super sexy build. I just started messing with tc. I could never get a good bit before on tc but I talked to a buddy and he said set it to 132trc at 100w did that and now I get amazing flavorful hits at 350° not sure though I'm using ss216L and I went to power mode then back and now I'm having issues

You absolutely have to space SS coils, and be aware that the resulting coil will be anywhere from 25% to 30% longer to allow for the distance between the wraps. What you used to use 10 wraps for now only uses 6 or 7. A larger diameter can account for some of the wire loss due to spacing.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You absolutely have to space SS coils, and be aware that the resulting coil will be anywhere from 25% to 30% longer to allow for the distance between the wraps. What you used to use 10 wraps for now only uses 6 or 7. A larger diameter can account for some of the wire loss due to spacing.

Ah, just to clarify. I use SS contact coils all the time. Almost always in temp control. All I do when mounting is check for a hot leg and strum the coil to make sure it's heating up evenly from the middle out. Not saying spaced is bad, it's perfectly fine. But it's not a "absolutely have to space SS coils" build rule.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Ah, just to clarify. I use SS contact coils all the time. Almost always in temp control. All I do when mounting is check for a hot leg and strum the coil to make sure it's heating up evenly from the middle out. Not saying spaced is bad, it's perfectly fine. But it's not a "absolutely have to space SS coils" build rule.

Every contact coil I've used in my approximately one month's worth of experience has hit protection in a second or two. When I space them, I get to take the long, slow draw I like.

I'm not a hard hitter, so maybe my lack of airflow induction is part of it.

LikelySplash710

Sep 28, 2017
Every contact coil I've used in my approximately one month's worth of experience has hit protection in a second or two. When I space them, I get to take the long, slow draw I like.

I'm not a hard hitter, so maybe my lack of airflow induction is part of it.
So I had the same problem. Change your tcr to 132w and your power to 100w start with like a .25 simple dual 8 wraps ss.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Also I dry fire and make sure my ss coils are heating even before I switch to tc is that bad

No, it's not bad, although I go with a light dry burn, a little orange, just to be sure everything is heating up properly. I don't go for a cherry red glow or blinding sunlight. I do let them rest to be sure they're at room temperature before using them in TC. A warm coil will always screw up TC. There are times when I'm swapping tanks around that I'll forget that, and I keep telling myself don't do that again. and again..............

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
So I had the same problem. Change your tcr to 132w and your power to 100w start with like a .25 simple dual 8 wraps ss.
Heh. No.

I'm a 40-ish Watt vaper. I don't want or need a coil that needs 100+ Watts to produce. Not when my 40 Watt builds are good enough to roll my eyes back.

I'm gonna have to rebuild my Battlestar RTA sometime soon. My first build used 28g SS316L with a total of 0.70 Ohms. It's great at 45 Watts and temp set to 430 F--but I got lucky. The 28g is fragile material and it won't take too many more dry cleans.

I rebuilt my Moonshot with 25g 316L, 10 wraps, 1/8" ID coils, hit 0.45 Ohms and it's fan-damn-tastic just above 45 Watts.

I'll use the rest of this 30g 4x twisted Kanthal for decoration. :D

LikelySplash710

Sep 28, 2017
Heh. No.

I'm a 40-ish Watt vaper. I don't want or need a coil that needs 100+ Watts to produce. Not when my 40 Watt builds are good enough to roll my eyes back.

I'm gonna have to rebuild my Battlestar RTA sometime soon. My first build used 28g SS316L with a total of 0.70 Ohms. It's great at 45 Watts and temp set to 430 F--but I got lucky. The 28g is fragile material and it won't take too many more dry cleans.

I rebuilt my Moonshot with 25g 316L, 10 wraps, 1/8" ID coils, hit 0.45 Ohms and it's fan-damn-tastic just above 45 Watts.

I'll use the rest of this 30g 4x twisted Kanthal for decoration. :D
Changing those settings just made my tc work normally the 100w just means you will let it go that high if you crank it up all the way were it draws over 100w!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Also I dry fire and make sure my ss coils are heating even before I switch to tc is that bad

No, it's not bad, although I go with a light dry burn, a little orange, just to be sure everything is heating up properly. I don't go for a cherry red glow or blinding sunlight. I do let them rest to be sure they're at room temperature before using them in TC. A warm coil will always screw up TC. There are times when I'm swapping tanks around that I'll forget that, and I keep telling myself don't do that again. and again..............

@Eskie nailed it here ^^^ :)

I use SS in TC mode most of the time, both with contact and non-contact coils. IMO any time you build contact coils it's a good idea to dry fire them before you put a wick in them and do what you have to do to get them to fire dependably from the center out. The non-conductive oxide layer produced when heating the wire makes that happen. This is critical with TC. Any resistance fluctuation in TC mode will give you all kinds of problems in trying to set up a consistent TC vape.

I also dry burn gently with both SS and Kanthal, only going hot enough to get the coil to glow orange, not bright red. I do this in VW mode set to low enough watts so I know I won't overheat or burn out the wire while I'm doing this. Both of these wire materials have chrome in them and if you get that bright red hot you risk forming unhealthy chemicals on the wire surface.

After dry burning my coils I wick and wet them, then leave them for at least 10 minutes (15 if I can) to let them cool down to room temperature. Then I do what I have to to lock in the new resistance in TC mode on the mod. I've found with my Pico 75's I sometimes have to be creative to be able to change the old locked in resistance to the new one, but it has to be done somehow or my TC temperature calibration will be off. When temp calibration is off enough you can set your temp to [what you ususaly use successfully with that build] and you might hit the temperature limit way too early and get almost no vapor just because the system is out of calibration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread