A Vapers Journey Into Sub Ohm Vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

E Money

Aug 30, 2013
Boise, ID
Approximately six months ago I decided to take up vaping in order for me to help quit Copenhagen. I watched a few videos from a guy I followed on car audio forums, twistedchild420. I gathered up enough knowledge about various products since I knew there had to be a better option than the Blu e cigs I see in gas stations.

Did my research and ordered a KGo starter kit and some juices from NW Vapors. At this point I was excited and didn't think that I would go any further from there equipment wise. The juices I picked were alright at first, but by the time I needed to order more I thought I would try carto tanks and vivi novas. Since I had started I had not had one dip and felt better as my gums and lips were back to normal.

I started branching out into different juice vendors, trying brands like Moon Mountain and Mt. Baker. Around this time I had ordered an iTaste SVD. I wanted customization for power output and I thought the SVD was just so cool and had so many features. The Protank 2 came into my life at that point. I liked what I was getting out of it and that was what I would stick with for a month.

I kept watching all of these videos by different youtubers of RBA/RDA builds. As someone who loves electronic devices and likes to tinker, I went ahead and ordered an IGO-L and some ribbon kanthal wire. There is an abundance of cotton that I never use so I figured I would just make cotton wicks since I hear they wick very well and have great flavor reproduction.

I got my stuff in the mail along with orders from AVE and Velvet Cloud. Started a wrap of ribbon kanthal on a punch set and got anywhere from 1.5 ohms to 2.5ohms. Finally got a really good wrap at 2.2ohms. Knowing the limitations of the SVD I went with this. Bah! Didn't get the vapor production I wanted and felt disappointed. I assumed that the ribbon wire didn't want to play nice at higher resistances. Here was where I decided it was time for my first mechanical mod. Did a little research and being a poor college student, decided I should get a Smok Magneto. Also got some Sony green batteries for the 30A discharge.

I patiently waited, still using the beloved yet boring SVD+Protank combo. Now with the Magneto in my hands I wasn't afraid of going into sub ohms. My first build was okay, I think around 1 ohm may have messed up the coil or wick, but it did alright. Today I got a wrap of .8 ohms. The vapor and flavor is UNREAL! The raspberry juice I had sitting around from NW Vapors tasted amazing once again, as well as AVE Hype. I still need to bore out the air hole a little more, but I feel like I am close to getting that near perfect vape for myself.

I have spent so much in the past several months on vaping supplies, but it has been very successful in keeping me away from tobacco. I quit smoking with dip, and the thing I loved the most about smoking was blowing the smoke. Just a fascination with it. Sub ohm vaping allows me to get as close to that without using tobacco.

tl;dr I started with a KGo and worked my way to sub ohm vaping, which gives me amazing vapor and flavor. I also have spent more money than I like to admit.

Thanks for reading. Not sure where to go from here device and build wise. I wanted to make this post for new vapers or anyone looking into upgrading their equipment.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
That microcoil video was great. Can't wait to test that out. Not sure how well ribbon wire will do with microcoils though. Guess it wouldn't hurt to have some regular kanthal as well.

Glad you enjoyed it. I know people have experimented with ribbon wire in these, but I don't know how it turned out. Check out some of the neat stuff these guys are doing with micro coils here. I suspect everything you could possibly imagine has already been tried :smokie:

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
All of my standard res stuff is sitting in my tackle box and has been since I bought my first mech. Maybe I'll clean it all out and give it away. :p

I want to get some regular atty's to test liquis without changing out wicks on my RDA's. :laugh:

Where are you getting your Kanthal? TemCo and eBay are pretty much the best places. But eBay is evil since they're against vaping.

I get my Kanthal here: Lightning Vapes - All the RBA Materials you need! Silica Wick, Ekowool, Kanthal Wire, Stainless Steel Mesh and more!

E Money

Aug 30, 2013
Boise, ID
I kind of want to get a Trident. I'm not sure how much of a benefit I will get from dual coils though. I know clearomizers are different but, I don't care much for the iClear 30 which is dual coil.

I'm a little excited for the Protank 3, other than the price tag. Since I still carry the SVD when I'm running errands or hanging out with friends.

Going to try and master the IGO-L and wraps before I splurge on a new RBA. Otherwise I don't know where I will upgrade as far as mods go. I definitely don't want to drop $200 on a mech right now nor in the near future. The Magneto seems to just offer some of the best bang for the buck. Plus, magnets are cool. Will those expensive mechs offer more? I really like the MC Vapes videos, those guys do some crazy wraps on their setups.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
And I'll start doing micro coil when I get Kayfun clone in my hands, hope to get it real soon. :banana:

I put in my order for a Rocket RBA from FT last night along with a couple more goodies. Looking forward to getting it too. Heard great things about it and it will be fun to experiment with this puppy. There are a lot of different ways to set this thing up too :smokie:

Hope you enjoy yours!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I kind of want to get a Trident. I'm not sure how much of a benefit I will get from dual coils though. I know clearomizers are different but, I don't care much for the iClear 30 which is dual coil.

I've got a Trident clone coming, soon hopefully. I'm going to modify it for bottom feeding and put it on my Vmod XL. Looking forward to playing with dual coils, but if it suites me better with a single coil, that's good too.

Going to try and master the IGO-L and wraps before I splurge on a new RBA. Otherwise I don't know where I will upgrade as far as mods go. I definitely don't want to drop $200 on a mech right now nor in the near future. The Magneto seems to just offer some of the best bang for the buck. Plus, magnets are cool. Will those expensive mechs offer more? I really like the MC Vapes videos, those guys do some crazy wraps on their setups.

I've never bought a lot of vape stuff. I like to figure out how to get the best out of the gear I have and that has always worked pretty well for me and kept me satisfied. You know, if you read the forum for a while you'll find there are always people who dislike a device and other people who love the same device. IMO almost every device can be made to work well, unless it's one of the ones that's just plain bad. I have not found many like that though.

The IGO-L is a good one. I've got mine on the Vmod. IMO it's a great RDA that you can really learn with and it can give you a great vape. It's really all about the build. And what you learn from this RDA you can take with you to all the other RBA's you'll ever move on to.

And speaking of crazy wraps, check out the micro coil thread here. Great stuff there.

Vape on :smokie:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
The logical progression for some would be cigalike > eGo > regulated mod > rebuildables.

But honestly, and this is only my opinion, sub-ohm rebuilding is the "extreme sports" of vaping. It is not the eventual "end game" for most vapers. While I am fully aware of the benefits of sub-ohm vaping and chasing clouds, it's merely just a "subgenre" of vaping.

Not everyone will gravitate towards sub-ohms or rebuildables. Me, for one. Not because I'm lazy, not because I haven't read up on battery safety, amperage limits, etc., but because it's just not something I want out of an e-cig. I have no need to blow dragon clouds to get kudos from my friends. It's neat and all, it's fun, but it's not something I need on a day-to-day basis.

One thing these sub-ohm vapers aren't telling you...... Blowing those HUGE clouds? You're gonna burn through juice about twice as fast as you did before.

vicflo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2009
Virginia
other than initial cost of the RDA/RBA it should be substantially cheaper than off the shelf atomizers. ~$8 for 100ft of kanthal from amazon and $2.50 for a lifetime supply of pure cotton balls from beauty section of [insert store here]. thats ~1000+ rebuilds (given you dont use too much excess when building). So $10.50 vs $2000+ of atty head/carto replacements.

me personally... i maybe make a new coil once or twice a month and just change the wicks out when i change flavors, which takes like 10 seconds.

micro/nano coils with or on cotton seems to be the newest movement in RDAs. as far as my local vape scene, people still sub-ohming (~.5 or lower) are a dying breed. LR coils are just more versatile.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
The logical progression for some would be cigalike > eGo > regulated mod > rebuildables.

But honestly, and this is only my opinion, sub-ohm rebuilding is the "extreme sports" of vaping. It is not the eventual "end game" for most vapers. While I am fully aware of the benefits of sub-ohm vaping and chasing clouds, it's merely just a "subgenre" of vaping.

Not everyone will gravitate towards sub-ohms or rebuildables. Me, for one. Not because I'm lazy, not because I haven't read up on battery safety, amperage limits, etc., but because it's just not something I want out of an e-cig. I have no need to blow dragon clouds to get kudos from my friends. It's neat and all, it's fun, but it's not something I need on a day-to-day basis.

One thing these sub-ohm vapers aren't telling you...... Blowing those HUGE clouds? You're gonna burn through juice about twice as fast as you did before.

Id like to give the OP a big Atta boy for doing his research before diving in to sub ohming.
Rocketpunk
I can agree with most of what you said but I have never taken my drippers out of the house. I would say most do it because we like to fiddle and find we like the awesomeness of great flavor and vapor.

Its all good and dandy its not for you but why do you have to belittle the people who enjoy it?

Its kind of insulting for someone to say people who like this set up are just showoffs. I also would argue about going threw juice twice as fast its more like percentage wise Id say its only 199.99999999999999999999 % faster so your twice as fast is a gajillionth of a percent exaduration. Over the course of 50 years we are talking 10ml! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread