A Wood 18500 Mechanical Bottom Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonar505

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Until now the bottom feeders I had made used a catch cup. So I was limited to the size of the atomizer I was able to fit on top. With this in mind I set about designing a new mod. I knew I wanted it made of Wood (No Surprise If you have seen my others) and I wanted it to be of a compatible size to an Igo W atomizer I already had. So I drilled out the positive pin on the Igo W and made a glass top cap for it (wanted to be able to see how much I was squonking). I also wanted it to be mechanical with a wooden switch. This is what I came up with.

It was very hard to photography the true colors of the mod so I am showing 2 versions 1 with flash and 1 without.

Front
Rt4LODD.jpg

Front With Flash

zDSZmcc.jpg

Back

PPJrZcX.jpg

Back With Flash

45wWA6F.jpg

KPRrumD.jpg

Inside

GOvzt4J.jpg

And to give a size perspective.

In hand

cXmaSOs.jpg

In hand With Flash

V1Pbhzt.jpg

Front With Chana 30W and 18650 Battery.

EKgFXkI.jpg

Side With Chana 30W and 18650 Battery.

VY27iY7.jpg

Thank you for Viewing.

As Always all Questions, Comments and or Critiques are very much appreciated.

Reactions: thetrucker

Sonar505

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
nicely done! I just love the wooden button
what did you use for contacts? and 510 connector? and the 510 washer? what contenance is the bottle?

Thanks I will try and answer your questions.

For contacts I used brass plate

The 510 connector is from madvapes one of there open ones with a stainless steel tube inserted (a 16 gauge needle will do also).

The 510 washer was a 1/2" sweat adapter from home depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...rass-Female-Sweat-Adapter-RP3A2B2FS/203320540 The 510 lays perfectly on the bottom of the cup and the stem still allows you room to epoxy it in.

Cut down originally like what I have on these boxes

yXcF8nX.jpg

After accidentally breaking one of them I re-purposed it for this box by carefully grounding it flush with the top of the 510.

The bottle shown is a 5ml

erwincl56

Verified Member
Jan 25, 2015
Hot Springs, SD, USA
Nice design. I'm looking into doing a mech box mod bottom feeder once I figure out the basics. I,ve been tring to find some simplified designs so I can get an idea of where to start. If you don't mind, how does your battery and fire button work on this design. It's most likely staring me right in the face but I'm not seeing it. Again, great mod, thanks.

Sonar505

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Nice design. I'm looking into doing a mech box mod bottom feeder once I figure out the basics. I,ve been tring to find some simplified designs so I can get an idea of where to start. If you don't mind, how does your battery and fire button work on this design. It's most likely staring me right in the face but I'm not seeing it. Again, great mod, thanks.

No I don't mind at all.

Here is what I used have you ever seen a wood furniture plug they are shaped like a mushroom and used to cover screw heads on furniture.Well I took one and sunk a brass nut in it. Then made a spring that fits around the narrow stem. Drilled a hole in the black cap and secured it to the hole on the side of the mod. I then cut a brass bolt to length and ground down the threads near the head. Drilled a hole through the plate coming from positive battery. Inserted brass bolt through positive plate then through black cap and threaded it on to wooden button. Connected a separate plate to positive pin of 510 and guided it down the side of wood block. Now when button is pushed it completes the circuit and spring pulls it back. Neg is a brass plate that goes from bottom of battery to outside casing of 510. It's a little more involved but works basically the same as a Top Fire button with a leaf spring. But I wanted a side fire button and that is what I came up with.
Thanks for the compliment much appreciated. All questions are very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread