The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

BOTTOM FEEDERS= a place for everything modified and/or custom made

Discussion in 'Bottom Feeder Mods' started by turbocad6, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. TheWestPole

TheWestPole Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    The high point of this cheapo Icarus clone is several very nice pieces of anodized aluminum. Unfortunately, those nice pieces fit too loosely, and with otherwise sub-par components, the mod simply didn't work well. Rather than scrap it, I used the frame and made new doors and button, swapped in a few better components, and tuned it all up.

[​IMG]

IMG_20170922_010039_picmonkeyed.jpg

IMG_20170922_010048_picmonkeyed.jpg

IMG_20170922_010211_picmonkeyed.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  2. TheWestPole

May 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Removed the black anodizing. Better IMO.

IMG_20170923_140151_picmonkeyed.jpg IMG_20170923_140113_picmonkeyed.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  3. EddieAdams

EddieAdams Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    New York
    Is the inner part of the body insulated? Or is just the contact insulated? I'm assuming the battery goes in positive down like most of these style mods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. TheWestPole

May 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Right, the contact strip is insulated, and positive down for the battery.

• Like Like x 1
  5. badinfluence357

badinfluence357 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2012
    NYC
    So many modders and no-one has given me info on how to revive and polish old derlin.. Almost seems top secret. Ive see modders scuff and dirty white derlin while making mods. At the end it looks flawless. Whats the secret?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

6. b.m.

b.m. Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    I've heard you can use Micromesh in various grits to get a nice finish on Delrin.I have 2 that i got a decent polish on with a simple 4 sided nail buffer,it cost like $3 at Walmart haha.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Obi Wan Vapori

Obi Wan Vapori Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 4, 2013
    Saco,ME,USA
    Flitz? The stuff is amazing for putting a shine on things.

[​IMG]

8. TheWestPole

May 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Taking a break and experimenting with the look of two-layer mod buttons: clear polycarbonate outside, wood inside.

IMG_20171003_145849_picmonkeyed.jpg

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. badinfluence357

Jun 17, 2012
    NYC
    Looks nice i like it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. badinfluence357

Jun 17, 2012
    NYC
    You mean that 4 side color buffer thats used for nails? I think my wife has one laying around the house..( evil grin) What do you use with it?
    Im looking for the magic fix... I mean i seen modders scuff sh...up with the files and the end result is like magic.
    I have read so many things but i want the sure thing. Not looking to mess my sh..up...

• Like Like x 1
  11. b.m.

b.m. Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    Yeah those are the ones.I just used it by itself,i didn't use anything else with it,i also didn't use all 4 sides.The 2 roughest sides i skipped over and just the finest grit side and the smooth buffing side.I didn't get a great shine,but it took the swirls and such off and gave it a sort of a dull shine.I probably could have worked it more and got a better polish,but the swirls were the main reason i did it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  12. badinfluence357

Jun 17, 2012
    NYC
    Cool, thats the first step i guess. Removing the swirls then shining. I read some were that a piece of jeans is used for the polish part......we'll see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Itasquonker

Itasquonker Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    This is awesome! Do you have some more pic of the modification? How does it fire now (isn't it like the billetbox where below the tank there's the positive connection of the atom/head?) Great job!

14. TheWestPole

May 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    • Like Like x 7
  15. badinfluence357

Jun 17, 2012
    NYC
    Whats the best sub-ohm mosfet board out today?
    Feeling like one of my mods isnt pushing power like it use to...It could be the battery but I'm looking for something good anyway.

16. badinfluence357

Jun 17, 2012
    NYC
    Another subject that I dont see modders posting much on is types of paint used on mods. Its more like trial and error....
    What paints are good to use on die cast, aluminum and derlin mods? Enamele, ceramic or acrylic?

After painting a few bottem feeders I learned that oders will seep into the bottles. So what are the best paints to use that will work well, endure and most importantly not smell bad..... Is there an oder neutralizing processes after using paints that smell?

17. badinfluence357

Jun 17, 2012
    NYC
    ???????

18. turbocad6

turbocad6 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jan 17, 2011
    brooklyn ny
    honestly when it comes to mods I don't think paint really has any place on them. paint is just never going to be durable enough unless you really baby the mod. now powder coating on a metal mod may not be so bad I guess, but even there it's prolly only a matter of time before it starts to get chipped and scratched.

for mods I would say it's far better to do something that is more durable, like anodizing for a metal mod, or dying for some plastics.... delrin can be dyed with cloth dye in boiling water and this will at least give some penetration of color into the material and be much more durable than a paint that is only going to lay on top and try to stay stuck on something that almost nothing really sticks well to.

if you do insist on painting a mod then I would suggest that only for the more harder materials like steel and some of the high grade aluminums... paint on plastic can of course be done but really it's just not going to be so durable in most cases. if you are going to try to paint plastics then I'd recommend at least using a paint that is specifically designed for plastics, that will at least give you your best chance of it lasting a bit at least. I'm NOT looking to put anyone down who does paint a mod, I'm only sharing my own personal opinion and of course there will always be exceptions to the rule too, it's actually not impossible to do paint that can be durable but that is going to take some trial and error and the right prep work...

• Like Like x 2
  19. badinfluence357

Jun 17, 2012
    NYC
    Thank you for your response mate. That's good information....

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

20. Bdubd

Bdubd Full Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Here's mine I just printed it today . It's my First time trying it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.