About Low Resistance and Specific batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jctennis

ECF Veteran
make one of their box mods...heck the kit is only $8 and is predrilled so you only need basic solder skills (technically not even that since they now have wire glue) .....fit that with a AW IMR 14500 (or a cheaper *fire 14500 til you can afford the AW)...cheap and improved performance...
+1 on that.:laugh:

perfect thread for me to read, but I think I was a couple of days too late, I have a 016 that I was using both reg and LR attys on it, yesterday I went to charge it like normal and when I took it off the charge and put an atty on it, it started blinking right away, when I take the atty off and press the button it stays on, either way it does not fire up the attys anymore. Is this what happend to me, and the battery I so love is now trash????:confused: I do love dripping on the LR attys and that is what seems to keep me off the cigs, I also love doing buisiness with madvapes, they have been great.:) What do you suggest I do as I am very tight on funds also????

The symptoms you are describing exactly match the way a few of my NJoy batteries died. I did a postmortem autopsy on them and confirmed it was the circuit that fried. The actual lithium cell was still in fine condition.

If you are not able to get warranty replacement or other solution, I would like to see an 016... dissect it, etc. But try to get it replaced first.:(

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Wire Glue?

OH NO YOU DIT-ENT...

Learn to solder, folks... Wire glue is no substitute in high current situations.

WIRE GLUE? :laugh:

lol... well yeah I did....soldering would be most preferable....but let's face it there are those out there that either can't or won't....
and I'm sure you're not likely volunteering to do the soldering for those folks...
so while it's not anywhere near the best solution it is a solution...

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
mwa, thats sort of like asking why Kia doesn't put Ferrari engines in the Sportage...

Eastmall makes the Indulgence to fit the bill for the guys that choose to not spend the money on the bigger bucks, USA made stuff.

The class of folks that will buy the higher priced stuff still will. And some will buy both, as is evidenced by your avatar. If I was looking for an eGo sized device with a quality battery in it, I would get an Icon, a used Protoge' (I did that, actually) or one of the smaller Precise models... The Indulgence is probably the closest thing to an Asian answer to what you have proposed.... and it just seems like a cheap substitute on so many levels.

BUT... The Original Post that started all this of still is important... We can surmise all day and all night about what motivates an Asian manufacturer, but no matter what we gather together in this collective brain-trust, one fact remains the same: the devices fitted with Mosfet switching are prone to failure, and Hoogie was being a great supplier in bringing this to the attention of those that are less informed, or don't have the interest or expertise in electronics to sort it all out.

Oh, and the more people that read this, the fewer folks that will buy LR attys or cartos... THAT can't be good for business... so lets give the hoog-meister a big hand for putting on his big boy pants and bringing all of this all to our attention... he could have remained silent and laughed all the way to the bank as his customers were popping eGo and 510 power units.

I really enjoy LR Cartos on 510's and eGos... will they pop? Some already have... today it happened to me, and I'm sure it will happen again... If it does it does... I know the issues and the risk involved... but I never purchased a 510 battery and expected it to last long enough to become a family heirloom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well put Zen~ as hoog should be applauded for his posting and business way (Kudos to you Hoog ) and I mean it. I was just on a bit of a rampage of why we cant get QUALITY FOR THE LR USE and what I think would be awesome is if someone could produce the type of Batt I was speaking of and sell just the skin and we drop the AW batt in it. I have an Indulgence and heck every type of Mod as you can see some of them in my Avatar, I was just thinking it would be a cool way to go, heck a nice big Ego type skin with the same style and built with an AW would be a sweet mod IMHO.

The fact remains the same however and these Manufacturers are selling Batts that cant carry the draw of the Atty's that they are selling to go with there Batts. It makes me think it is part of the marketing and sales scheme of things and they know darn well these Batts will fail, and faster using the LR's and this will raise sales for sure as people repurchase if they do. But wouldn't it make sense to sell a more quality Batt is all I was trying to say and the resources are quite available to do so that's for sure.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
lol... well yeah I did....soldering would be most preferable....but let's face it there are those out there that either can't or won't....
and I'm sure you're not likely volunteering to do the soldering for those folks...
so while it's not anywhere near the best solution it is a solution...

This kinda has nothing to do with the thread topic, so a discussion of wire glue and its attributes should be a new thread in the Modders section, if there isn't one already.

But anyway, I'm not volunteering to solder for people, but considering I learned to solder at 10 years of age, I find it hard to believe that anybody that would take on a mod project wouldn't at least be interested in learning to do it correctly. When alternatives like wire glue are suggested by an otherwise intelligent guy such as yourself, that could be read by many as an endorsement of the method and folks will feel in some way that it's a good solution.

Wire glue was created for use in emergency repairs, and really not as a permanent fix by any means. If you're in the woods, away from electriciy and your mod breaks... whip out the wire glue and limp home on it. If you want something to have a reliable electrical connection... solder it.

Soldering is easy, anybody can learn it in ten minutes and there are lots of tutorials on you tube. Wire glue isn't even a close substitute. A person can find a usable soldering iron at the dollar store, less money than wire glue.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
I love the smell of flux in the morning.
At any rate, there are plenty of PV devices floating around that will accommodate a low resistance atomizer/cartomizer. Just spend the extra few minutes learning about the device you have or intend to buy. If a manufacturer doesn't post such information then ask. If they don't answer, move on.

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
Wow!!! Information overload here! lol Great thread! Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge.
But... Can all you smart folks dumb it down for this dumbass? lol I think I have the jift of all this from reading this thread but I'd feel better if someone could summarize all of this by telling me if the below is correct as I'm sure many others out there would like a clear simple answer as well. If I have this wrong please feel free to copy and paste it as it should read. Also because the EGO is such a common pv used by others could you advise for it's proper use in the same fashion? I think this would be very helpful for the average joe's like me out there reading this thread. And thanks again to all of you for all the great info and work.

STANDARD 510 Power supply (or what ever you want to call the thing that holds the battery)
You CAN use a LR 2ohm atty/carto but it will shorten the life of the battery.
You SHOULD use a standard 3ohm atty/carto

Silver bullet w/ 3.7v TR18650
You CAN use a LR 1.5 - 2ohm atty/carto but it will shorten the life of the battery.

Silver bullet @ 6v
NEVER use any LR atty/carto's

Last edited:

guitardedmark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.myspace.com
Wow!!! Information overload here! lol Great thread! Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge.
But... Can all you smart folks dumb it down for this dumbass? lol I think I have the jift of all this from reading this thread but I'd feel better if someone could summarize all of this by telling me if the below is correct as I'm sure many others out there would like a clear simple answer as well. If I have this wrong please feel free to copy and paste it as it should read. Also because the EGO is such a common pv used by others could you advise for it's proper use in the same fashion? I think this would be very helpful for the average joe's like me out there reading this thread. And thanks again to all of you for all the great info and work.

STANDARD 510 Power supply (or what ever you want to call the thing that holds the battery)

You CAN use a LR 1.5 - 2ohm atty/carto but it will shorten the life of the battery.

Silver bullet @ 6v

I'm not electrician but it looks about right to me!

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
STANDARD 510 Power supply, and nearly every other Asian made e-cig (or what ever you want to call the thing that holds the battery)
Zen~ Says, this device has a mosfet, so there is a chance of mosfet failure from use of ANY atty/carto that is below 3 ohms... the lower you go, the better the chance of failure.

Ego/Riva/Tornado/Hello-016 and all varients Power supply (or what ever you want to call the thing that holds the battery)

Zen~ Says, this device has a mosfet, so there is a chance of mosfet failure from use of ANY atty/carto that is below 3 ohms... the lower you go, the better the chance of failure.

Zen~ Says, this device has no mosfet, so there is no chance of mosfet failure from use of ANY atty/carto

Silver bullet @ 6v
Zen~ Says, this device has no mosfet, so there is no chance of mosfet failure from use of ANY atty/carto, however, a LR atty/carto will burn wickedly hot and the atty/carto will fail

See above...

Last edited:

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
Just to make it a bit more complicated, standard ecig power units (510, 901, etc) and ego-like units actually use a crude PWM circuit to run at ~3.2 volts. This means the batteries are actually under less stress than the calculations thus far provided would indicate - both because of the lower effective voltage and because li-ion batteries "prefer" to discharge in a pulsed fashion.

What is the exact difference? Damned if I know. LR attys are still probably more than the units can handle. But the pedanticist in me felt compelled to point it out.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
Let me add in another $0.02 to the discussion re: why did they design/make the ego, etc with the silly mosfet design?

My guess, they already had the design and circuitry handy. After all its exactly the same circuitry that's in the 510, 901, 801, 401 etc. Just added a bigger cell (battery) to the mix.

I'd change this to say You CAN use a LR 2.0 ohm atty/carto bit it most likely will fry the electronics killing the device. If it doesn't die the life of the battery will be shortened.

Last edited:

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
It has the ''silly" MOSFET in there to allow you to charge off the same ''port" you put your atomizer/cartomizer on. Without the electronics you cannot use the single port for power in/power out. It also incorporates high limit and low limit battery state. I.e. the stuff that keeps your battery from going boom.

Last edited:

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
JonnyVapΣ;2098842 said:
It has the ''silly" MOSFET in there to allow you to charge off the same ''port" you put your atomizer/cartomizer on. Without the electronics you cannot use the single port for power in/power out. It also incorporates high limit and low limit battery state. I.e. the stuff that keeps your battery from going boom.

What? You mean people want to CHARGE the battery after using it? How silly!

The eGo is designed the way it is so it will emulate the user experience of the standard e-cig power supplies. And as Johnny vape stated, without the circuit which includes the mosfet for the switch, a charger bypass diode, low/high voltage cutoffs and timer cut-offs, you would need to hold the power switch the whole time the battery is charging.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
I still wonder why something like an eGo couldn't be designed to take a regular 14500 battery instead of being designed around a proprietary design. I'd think a thin wall design could be done that's only 1.5-2ml larger in diameter than the eGo. And a simple switch with no other circuitry. But instead the more complicated approach.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
I still wonder why something like an eGo couldn't be designed to take a regular 14500 battery instead of being designed around a proprietary design. I'd think a thin wall design could be done that's only 1.5-2ml larger in diameter than the eGo. And a simple switch with no other circuitry. But instead the more complicated approach.

They're all over the place. They're called flashlight mods...LOL. Throw a protected 14500 in it and vape away. This is also how many of the purpose built PVs are made. The protected battery will cut out at it's designed cut-off, then remove the battery to charge it in a battery charger.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
LOL well yes, I guess I should have spelled out what I was thinking more carefully. As in why isn't there an as-built already constructed made in China designed eGo like unit that's basically a commercial laser pointer mod? I mean eastmall came up with the Indulgence which is a rather nice variation of the basic flashlight mod, even if they decided to go with a 18350 vs the more common 14500 or 16340 cell.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
LOL well yes, I guess I should have spelled out what I was thinking more carefully. As in why isn't there an as-built already constructed made in China designed eGo like unit that's basically a commercial laser pointer mod? I mean eastmall came up with the Indulgence which is a rather nice variation of the basic flashlight mod, even if they decided to go with a 18350 vs the more common 14500 or 16340 cell.

Why not buy an Icon.... Do you have a problem with US made goods?

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
JonnyVapΣ;2100681 said:
They're all over the place. They're called flashlight mods...LOL. Throw a protected 14500 in it and vape away. This is also how many of the purpose built PVs are made. The protected battery will cut out at it's designed cut-off, then remove the battery to charge it in a battery charger.
That's not really the way it works for me. The the PCB doesn't kick in, the batts voltage will no longer fire the atty and it needs to be recharged, it hasn't been cut-off by the PCB.

These protection circuits aren't precision devices. In many CPForum drain tests they often don't kick in at the specified low voltage, even the always praised AW's.

When I pull a batt to recharge the voltage is usually around 3.3V.

I had an UltraFire 3000mAh 18650 (a poor choice which should be avoided, as are most UltraFires) trip the low volt cut off and it wouldn't take a charge after that.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
That's not really the way it works for me. The the PCB doesn't kick in, the batts voltage will no longer fire the atty and it needs to be recharged, it hasn't been cut-off by the PCB.

These protection circuits aren't precision devices. In many CPForum drain tests they often don't kick in at the specified low voltage, even the always praised AW's.

When I pull a batt to recharge the voltage is usually around 3.3V.

I had an UltraFire 3000mAh 18650 (a poor choice which should be avoided, as are most UltraFires) trip the low volt cut off and it wouldn't take a charge after that.

I abuse the crap outta my batteries. Mindlessly vape till they fail over then stick em on the charger. So far so good. 2 are UltraFire and the rest TrustFire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread