Coil builds to use at 70 watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
For 120 watts would that make the voltage higher than 5? The person at the store said you shouldn’t go above 5 volts
I don't remember off hand if it was over 5 volts, but probably not. Maybe. But it was not some kind of crazy cloud contest build, wasn't too hot, flavorful and cloudy. Just took a high amount of wattage to fire it.
You can definitely vape comfortably over 5 volts, although most are happy around 4.2.
Coil placement in relation to the airflow is critical for flavor. Wicking also can play a big part. Keep playing with it and you'll find a good way of doing things on your deck.
Consider what I think of as the easiest non-basic wire builds: twisted wire. Take multiple strands of wire and twist then together and make coils from that. I use a large coffee cup and pliers to twist up wire. Easy. Increases surface area and vaporizes more liquid. Longer ramp up time with thicker wire, so thinner gauge is often used.
You are using 24g, 3 strands of 26 gauge isn't very different size and resistance wise but has a lot more surface area.
I like to do mixed twisted wire, 26g provides a little stiffness, 28g has less ramp up time, and a flat wire makes some serious flavor. Almost always 7 wrap coils.

Reactions: Kingrex00

Kingrex00

Dec 14, 2018
I don't remember off hand if it was over 5 volts, but probably not. Maybe. But it was not some kind of crazy cloud contest build, wasn't too hot, flavorful and cloudy. Just took a high amount of wattage to fire it.
You can definitely vape comfortably over 5 volts, although most are happy around 4.2.
Coil placement in relation to the airflow is critical for flavor. Wicking also can play a big part. Keep playing with it and you'll find a good way of doing things on your deck.
Consider what I think of as the easiest non-basic wire builds: twisted wire. Take multiple strands of wire and twist then together and make coils from that. I use a large coffee cup and pliers to twist up wire. Easy. Increases surface area and vaporizes more liquid. Longer ramp up time with thicker wire, so thinner gauge is often used.
You are using 24g, 3 strands of 26 gauge isn't very different size and resistance wise but has a lot more surface area.
I like to do mixed twisted wire, 26g provides a little stiffness, 28g has less ramp up time, and a flat wire makes some serious flavor. Almost always 7 wrap coils.

Thanks! I may try the twisting technique tonight, is the large coffee cup used to put the wire around?

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Thanks! I may try the twisting technique tonight, is the large coffee cup used to put the wire around?
Yes. You can take one long length of wire and put it through the handle of cup and double the wire, hold the cut ends with pliers up in the air and let the cup hang down, and spin the cup until the wire is twisted pretty tightly together, let go with the pliers and then cut the end near handle. You will have one long straight length of twisted wire ready to coil. The cup could be any weight you can attach a wire to. Safety first: wire can snap, watch your eyes. Generally doesn't need to be that tight though.
Wick it tight! Twisted builds like a tighter wick, or they tend to pop at you a bit more than some other coils.

Kingrex00

Dec 14, 2018
There is actually a bigger danger with the cup twisting method. I've had the wire come off of the cup handle resulting in cup smashing my bare foot. Saved the wire though.
:shock:

Oh wow that’s crazy, I’ll try the cup technique and do it over my couch just to be safe. It’s my first day on this build and it’s losing its flavour already so hopefully the twisted coil works better for my RTA

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Oh wow that’s crazy, I’ll try the cup technique and do it over my couch just to be safe. It’s my first day on this build and it’s losing its flavour already so hopefully the twisted coil works better for my RTA
I won't say it will work better, but it will work different, and you may like it.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Last edited:

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    ^^-- Adding a wrap makes a larger coil suited to higher power. Reducing a wrap makes the same power setting act like a higher one, by running the coil hotter. It would also send more power to the coil ON A MECH MOD but as he isn't using one, resistance is all but irrelevant (although in this case we can work backwards from it to find out more about the coil, since so little info is provided).

I'm guessing the OP is using a dual coil though he hasn't said specifically as one coil .28 ohm even in 24 ga. would be tiny. Steam Engine shows this build suited to about 50 watts. Of course, coil size is but one limitation on power. Any of airflow, wicking, technique also limit the power as well.

dom qp

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2015
    South Central... Ontario
    If you want to vape at that wattage i'd recommend NI80.

Kanthal is higher resistance. To get a resistance suitable for 70 watts you're going to need to have a lot of cores. Kanthal already warms up slowly, with the added mass it's not going to be a fun time.

A twisted or parallel NI80 round wire build could take 70W and perform well.

If you're after flavour, which I think you mentioned, you can completely forget about the 70W. Just get some dual or triple core clapton spools and go to town for 50-90W.

Kingrex00

Dec 14, 2018
    ^^-- Adding a wrap makes a larger coil suited to higher power. Reducing a wrap makes the same power setting act like a higher one, by running the coil hotter. It would also send more power to the coil ON A MECH MOD but as he isn't using one, resistance is all but irrelevant (although in this case we can work backwards from it to find out more about the coil, since so little info is provided).

I'm guessing the OP is using a dual coil though he hasn't said specifically as one coil .28 ohm even in 24 ga. would be tiny. Steam Engine shows this build suited to about 50 watts. Of course, coil size is but one limitation on power. Any of airflow, wicking, technique also limit the power as well.

Yeah I’m using a dual coil not a single, it was 24 Kanthal at 6 wraps each.

However last night my RTA did break so any suggestions as to the best RTA to purchase?

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    The stores near me don’t carry the Aromamizer, so I may just get another Zeus dual for now?
    I bought mine direct from Steamcrave. It came with different sized glass and chimneys to convert it to anything from a dripper with no glass, 5ml tank, ten ml, and the big boy in my profile pic 20ml tank. 60$

Reactions: Kingrex00

Kingrex00

Dec 14, 2018
    I bought mine direct from Steamcrave. It came with different sized glass and chimneys to convert it to anything from a dripper with no glass, 5ml tank, ten ml, and the big boy in my profile pic 20ml tank. 60$

Nice that’s a lot! I will definitely check it out and see, thanks!

I personally would look into a nice single coil rta.

The main reason I chose the dual was because it would just be more powerful, but can a single coil built correctly hold the same against dual coils?

dom qp

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2015
    South Central... Ontario
    The main reason I chose the dual was because it would just be more powerful, but can a single coil built correctly hold the same against dual coils?

You make it more powerful by pressing the up wattage button on a regulated mod.

& yes, it can

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread