About triacetin

Status
Not open for further replies.

stOfus

Sep 16, 2019
Norway
I've been wanting to ask and thought this would be the best place to go about it - and I don't doubt this has been asked before, but about flavor shots containing triacetin, are there any added health risks by using them? I've heard something about them degrading plastic o-rings in tanks and got thinking, because it's an acetil compound, are there any risks for, say, lung issues?

Thanks,
stOfus

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Triacetin is an ingredient in things like TFA smooth and Vape Wizard, and is used in such tiny quantities of mixes that it's hardly there...

for instance, if you use TFA smooth, you'd normally use it at a half a percent of the mix, and triacetin is only a small percentage of Smooth, so the amount your getting is very small..

As such, and as it's FDA approved as food safe, I don't see it being an issue at all..I've never worried about additives as a result.

Cinnamon flavoring and other additives was known to crack plastic tanks in the early days of vaping, but I believe that was a reaction between the type of plastic used back then and some flavorings..it doesn't seem to be an issue with modern or more recent plastic tanks.

I don't recall triacetin having that issue, but it could just be my memory..

At any rate, there are millions of long time vapers who have never had any lung issues, so I don't see that changing..

the recent spate of lung illnesses was due to vitamin e acetate being added to illicit THC products and not nicotine e-juices..so no worries.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I've been wanting to ask and thought this would be the best place to go about it - and I don't doubt this has been asked before, but about flavor shots containing triacetin, are there any added health risks by using them? I've heard something about them degrading plastic o-rings in tanks and got thinking, because it's an acetil compound, are there any risks for, say, lung issues?

Thanks,
stOfus
I ordered some duplicate DIY flavours with and without the Triacetin. (fruits mostly iirc)
My mixes tasted better to me without the Triacetin.
It's been a while so I don't recall exactly why I didn't like the mixes with the Triacetin. I somewhat remember the mixes with the Triacetin came out a bit dull, dim, or muted. The sharp, bright notes of the mixes never seemed to developed fully, imo.

HTH
I

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
Triacetin - Wikipedia
Never heard of this stuff before. Wiki says it’s GRAS
From TFA:
Triacetin is a flavor carrier used widely throughout the Food Industry.
It has been rated as GRAS (generally recognized as safe),
and inhalation tests have shown no outstanding issues.

However, it is not as water soluble as propylene glycol, and
it can separate out in some blends.
We recommend that you experiment with small amounts before purchasing in large sizes, just to see if it will work with your application.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I ordered some duplicate DIY flavours with and without the Triacetin. (fruits mostly iirc)
My mixes tasted better to me without the Triacetin.
It's been a while so I don't recall exactly why I didn't like the mixes with the Triacetin. I somewhat remember the mixes with the Triacetin came out a bit dull, dim, or muted. The sharp, bright notes of the mixes never seemed to developed fully, imo.

HTH
I

It rounds out mixes and causes flavors to blend together better, but using too much will mute all the flavors in your mix so you have to be careful with the amount used..

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
It rounds out mixes and causes flavors to blend together better, but using too much will mute all the flavors in your mix so you have to be careful with the amount used..
Good to know. :thumbs:
I was on a quest for a sweet creamy blueberry vanilla tobacco and the mixes that contained the Triac based flavours just didn't seem to pop.
I've not used the chemical as an additive, only flavours that had it listed as an ingredient.

Cheers
I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread