Status
Not open for further replies.

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Congrats to both of you and enjoy.

Thanks for the fun contest Rick and best of luck getting all your orders out.
Thanks Debra - and thanks to everyone

Orders are going well - just about back on schedule to finish everything up by the 15th. Mailed off a handful yesterday :)

I'll try and put a few pics up of newer holders here and in the gallery at AW. I'll share a new product I designed while trying to come up with Christmas gifts for a pair of friends of mine. It's a holder - of sorts... small, a little smaller than the size of a pack of cigs...

I'll start back up on new orders starting on Jan 2. If you would like a holder, the first step is to fill out a Detailed Contact Form or Custom Holder Request on the Absolute-Wood website. If necessary, the order in which the forms are received will be the order in which the jobs will be placed into the production schedule.

In order to discourage abuse by "getting in line just in case I want one", I'm going to start sending a $10 "down payment" invoice to all whom fill out the forms to request a holder be made. This will also discourage someone deciding against the holder after I've almost finished it, but haven't collected any money for it yet. Sorry, but I've been burned a few times this way, and this was the most equitable solution to it. If requested, I'll refund the $10 - two weeks after the refund request if I haven't started on the holder at the time of the request. This will allow you to back out of the upcoming order if you like with a full refund.

Thanks!

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hey everyone-

Here's a couple pics of a "In Stock Holders" design #1 that was originally in Zebrawood. This design has become quite popular as this is the fourth one I've made, and the first with Wenge and bright red flocking:
11246078716_7840bfe17c_c.jpg

A close up of the end:
11246034425_78c0ee4b96_c.jpg

I'll get these and a few more placed in the Gallery on the AW website.

Thanks,

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
I love zebra woos very nice

Thanks Windy-

The one above is made with Wenge (pronounced win-gay) as the top wood, the one pictured on the website is in Zebrawood:
instock-01-lg.jpg

Both very striking woods. On the one above with red flocking, I thought the contrast of the dark Wenge against the bright red flocking looked awesome.

I'm making another one right now with Zebrawood - but it's a little darker overall and has a couple darker streaks running through it - very different and rare for Zebrawood - I'll post pics when it's done.

Here's a couple more display stands done recently:
11264527074_10bea8c460_c.jpg

This big boy holds over 30 mods! and a whole lot more - 26" long; 10" deep; 3-1/4" high, Walnut & Oak with black flocking.
A closer view:
11264527234_e091c4b0ef_c.jpg

The following is a bit of a departure from a Charger Holder, split in two with magnetic attachment. The "charger" space is just a general storage area.
11264525924_6092809ac4_c.jpg

11264526004_05bbbb9827_c.jpg

Finally, a #10 Charger Holder variation in Purple Heart, Oak, Zebrawood & Wenge with Royal Purple flocking:
11264473625_8b460e27e0_c.jpg

The five "dimples" on the right side are for holding Kanger coils.
11264472685_c0c6da20fa_c.jpg

Rick

Last edited:

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
Good question.... when will the contest be over?

About a week and a half ago

Hello!

Welcome back to the thread. I've had a couple sick days so I apologize for the delay.

This was really hard to decide. I mean hard.

But, without further adieu-

The runner up is: "Natures Alternative to Plastic" by loxmythe! Congrats on your prize of a $25 Gift Certificate
Nice reversal of a familiar saying

And the winner is... "Go with the Grain" by hangdude! You're the recipient of a $50 Gift Certificate
Simple and short, a familiar saying with a "wood" reference; nicely done!

Thanks to everyone whom participated, I appreciate the time you took.

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Sorry for any confusion - I've left it open so people could still comment if they wanted to. Plus, I've been locked away in my shop till just yesterday, when I finished up the last of the orders for 2013. Should ship out tomorrow.

I'm taking the rest of the year off (at least from making holders) and will resume on Jan 2, 2014.

If you would like to "get in line" for a holder next year:
Please fill out one of the contact forms on my website, I'll send you a $10 down payment invoice, and you will be placed on the schedule for 2014 in the order in which I receive contact forms. The $10 is refundable so long as we don't start a holder by making drawings, selecting wood, etc...

More new news will be coming in the weeks to follow. I'll start a new thread, and probably have some drawings of new designs. I'm also going to slow the pace down a bit in 2014, as the 100+ hours a week I'm doing now just can't continue! I knew it would be needed for a year or two to get things going, but I need to slow down a bit. I'll detail it all shortly.

Thanks to everyone who has participated and purchased holders in the past, I really appreciate your time and business!

Happy Holidays & Happy New Year to all my Vape family out there!

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
I'm looking forward to placing an order next year. Do you ever use Mahogany? If so, what is the price difference compared to Red Oak?
Hi - and thanks for the inquiry,

Yes, we can use Mahogany. There are over 100 varieties of it, and about a dozen or so that are fairly common. Tonight, I'll look up what I have available to me, and give a price comparison to Oak.

Thanks,

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
I'm looking forward to placing an order next year. Do you ever use Mahogany? If so, what is the price difference compared to Red Oak?

Hi again- sorry for the late reply. It seems finishing everything off took a bit longer with shipping and packing - the last holder went off in today's mail - heading for Hawaii! Wished I could have delivered it personally...

I looked up some prices on some Mahogany species, and generally speaking, they are about 1.8 to 2.2 times the cost of Oak. That would place them in the Walnut or Exotic/Lams category, pricelist wise. So a $40 Oak holder would be about $50-60 in Mahogany. Honduras Mahogany, when available, is considerably more expensive, 4-5x the cost of Oak. About twice the price of an Oak holder.

Thanks,

Rick

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Good evening all,

Thought I'd pass along some text I've placed on my home page on my website talking about some changes that will occur for 2014 with Absolute-Wood:

Hello fellow vapers and friends -

Important Information: 2013 has been a great year for AW. Many holders have made their way out the door. If you've followed along here and on ECF, you know the effort it has taken to get this far. My schedule has been 100+ hours a week, 7 days a week for over a year now.

It's time to slow down a little in 2014 - no more 5am to midnight weekday marathons or 16+ hour weekend days. I'm going to quit at a reasonable hour during the week, do a big weekend day, and take a day off a week to catch up on everything I couldn't fit into my previous schedule.

Unfortunately, that means that lead times could stretch to 4-6 weeks and there's the distinct possibility of a waiting list developing. Mostly, I don't believe both will occur together, but we could see this during the next holiday rush.

As we head into 2014, I'll continue to work to develop and implement methods and tools to streamline the process - allowing me more production capability. I look forward to a fun and creative new year - for us all!
Thanks,

Rick

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
Hi again- sorry for the late reply. It seems finishing everything off took a bit longer with shipping and packing - the last holder went off in today's mail - heading for Hawaii! Wished I could have delivered it personally...
Hey, no problem, I'm in no hurry. I'm thinking about buying a tube mod. If I do, that probably won't be until next year, and I'll want to incorporate that into the design.

I looked up some prices on some Mahogany species, and generally speaking, they are about 1.8 to 2.2 times the cost of Oak. That would place them in the Walnut or Exotic/Lams category, pricelist wise. So a $40 Oak holder would be about $50-60 in Mahogany. Honduras Mahogany, when available, is considerably more expensive, 4-5x the cost of Oak. About twice the price of an Oak holder.

Thanks,

Rick
Excellent, that sounds great!

I've always loved mahogany. To me there's nothing more beautiful than a nicely polished piece of plainsawn mahogany. I love the deep grain, in the light it almost seems to glow from within.

Way back in my early 20's I managed a warehouse and did furniture repairs for a large antique company in Kansas City MO. One day I was unloading a shipment from Europe and I came across the most beautiful mahogany s-curved bowfront armoire you've ever seen. I fell in love with it on the spot. So I hid it in the warehouse for a couple of weeks and bought it myself, lol! I had it for over 25 years, and ended up giving it to a girlfriend's daughter who loved it as much as I did for a wedding present.

Glad to see you're slowing down and can take more time for yourself and your family. I remember what it was like when I started my business. It's great to get to the point where you take it a little easier, you'll enjoy the work much, much more.

I hope you have a great Christmas, and enjoy that time off!

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
I've always loved mahogany. To me there's nothing more beautiful than a nicely polished piece of plainsawn mahogany. I love the deep grain, in the light it almost seems to glow from within.

Way back in my early 20's I managed a warehouse and did furniture repairs for a large antique company in Kansas City MO. One day I was unloading a shipment from Europe and I came across the most beautiful mahogany s-curved bowfront armoire you've ever seen. I fell in love with it on the spot. So I hid it in the warehouse for a couple of weeks and bought it myself, lol! I had it for over 25 years, and ended up giving it to a girlfriend's daughter who loved it as much as I did for a wedding present.

Glad to see you're slowing down and can take more time for yourself and your family. I remember what it was like when I started my business. It's great to get to the point where you take it a little easier, you'll enjoy the work much, much more.

I hope you have a great Christmas, and enjoy that time off!
Sounds great -

If you like that quality of Mahogany, there is a species called Grenadillo that is a deep reddish brown like Honduras Mahogany, but it has this pattern in the grain that runs perpendicular across the grain that looks like grooves in a vinyl record. Very small and close together, just like an old record. Some pieces of it looked 3D, like you could reach into it. Lately, I've only seen small pieces like blanks for making pens available, but I used to buy it in reasonable sized 1" thick planks years ago. I haven't looked extensively for it, but it would make an awesome holder.

The next time I go and stock up on some wood, I'll keep my eye out for some nice Mahogany to add to the stock pile.

I knew I was in for a Herculean effort to get the ball rolling, and can back off a little now. Plus I just got a design/prototype job on a new, non PV item I might be selling for motorcycle officers. My next door neighbor is a LA Motor Officer and want's me to build him a nice Walnut and Padauk accessory box to go under his storage lid just behind his seat. He says as soon as the other guys see it, they're probably going to beat my door down... We'll see. All 300 of them are getting the same bike in the next couple of years. Yikes!

Hope everyone had a safe and Merry Christmas. Santa was very good to me this year: (good idea I sent that free holder to the North Pole...)

11560236174_91bf62c3db_c.jpg

That's the entire lot... from the left:

A RIA M1911 A1 .45ACP, cleaning kit, a Droid 4, the Smok Magneto MOD, a really nice tank that I need to learn about, a bunch of drip tips and a carto tank filler, a small case of Altoids (I like Altoids!), a Vivi Nova, a Kanger ProTank II, a Smok DCT and some cartos for it, an iClear 30, a couple really cool Kobalt parallel vice grips, and a new reversible photo umbrella.

Here's a couple closer shots of what most want to see:
11560364125_c6150ca69c_c.jpg

That's all the PV related stuff. What a great Christmas!

And a close up of the new MOD and the hand made tank. I need to learn what it is exactly. It appears to use Kanger coils ( I hope), and it has double O-rings everywhere. It looks really well made. It was purchased at a local vape shop and the guy said it was made in the USA, and said the guy making it says to wet all the O-rings with juice when first assembling it, and it will be leak free. The fit and finish are top notch, can't wait to try it:
11560363895_40e255bb33_c.jpg

I'll close this thread soon, and start a new Design and General Talk thread soon. I'll put drawings of new designs and prototypes, and take input and suggestions for features, and produce drawings showing concepts for some of these ideas and suggestions. Should be fun.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread