Absorption of nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabelle49

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2015
Not long after Nicorette gum came out, a study was done about nicotine absorption via the membranes of the mouth. The study had to do with acid/base conditions of the mouth. Drinking liquids that were high in acid (coffee being one) decreased absorption of nicotine. I am a big coffee drinker and imagine that is the case with vaping nicotine. Any input appreciated.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I don't have any data, and I am not in the biomed field. However, if the study you cite is correct, the I suspect it would have the same effect with aerosol delivered nic versus than in solution with saliva. I do think, though, it would be limited to the mouth; that is not apply to the lungs. Unless the acid somehow neutralizes the nic by changing locking it up in a compound or breaking the molecule or something. Sorry, I just don't know. I'm not a chemist, either :)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
If it's true, then it might well be the same for Vaping, but I don't know.
Either way, I smoked and drank coffee. Now I vape and drink coffee.
Maybe if I'd quit coffee altogether, then I might not have needed to vape so much in the early days...but we all vape to self-titrate, so it's not really a question I'm going to think about.
It would be an interesting experiment though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread