About nicotine absorption with apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Yesterday in another thread I blatantly dismissed possibility of significant absorption of nic in a mouth. But I became curious and made some research – “theoretical” and “experimental”. I found out I owe an apologies to my opponents @Baditude, @pwheeler, @retired1, @JCinFLA and @afishhunter. My apologies.

In my defense I may say that my strongly negative reaction on the topic was due to some dumb statement made by some pro-vape doctor and widely accepted in a vaping community, a statement that vapor particles are so big that they cannot penetrate dip into lungs. It’s complete bullmanure.

Let’s forget about particle size once and forever, because they are small enough go whenever they want in lungs. Another thing in my defence is that as a former cigarette smoker I did remember that mouth absorption of nic is rather small and not satisfying (and it is true for cigarettes).

OK, now “theoretical” part.

Nicotine absorption through membranes (mouth, lungs) greatly depends on pH (meaning it depends on acidity/alkalinity) of environment. Alkaline environment helps. Natural environment in mouth is neutral (pH=7) and in lungs is a bit alkaline (pH=7.4). Cigarettes change environment to more acidic, it turns mouth environment to acidic state and it decrease nic absorption significantly, so for cigarettes the most significant absorption occurs in lungs. Cigars change environment to more alkaline, so for them absorption in mouth is significant (but I cannot compare it with absorption in lungs – did not find data). Snus is made to be alkaline to increase mouth absorption.

“Experimental” part

Yesterday, after all the reading was done, I decided to check if I can survive without inhaling vapor. I survived for two hours. But the main test was today in the morning: I did not inhale again for two hours and did not have cravings at all. Since then I inhaled vapor only 8 times (yes, I counted) and I am OK. And a bonus - with my new vape technique I feel flavor much better! My “technique” – exhale, draw vapor in mouth, keep it in a mouth while inhaling trough a nose, exhale through a nose.

In addition I checked pH of one of my juices, it was around 7.2-7.4, i.e. alkaline (good for mouth absorption). But for measurements I used indicator strips, not the best method for pH measurmements. I think flavors can change pH of a juice in any direction, make it better or worse for mouth absorption.

So, my point now is:

- Significant and even satisfying absorption of nic through a mouth is possible.

- Proportion of mouth/lung absorption is unknown and may depend on many things, such as time spent by vapor in a mouth and flavorings.

- For direct lung inhalers all of this is of no interest because they get by far the greatest part of their nicotine from their lungs.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I stayed out of that discussion but will now add that I smoked for over 45 years and did inhale into my lungs. Now that I vape I don't pull the vapor into my lungs. I get all the nic I want/need by drawing it into my mouth, hold it in my mouth for a few seconds (I get the most flavor during this step) and then release through my mouth and nose. It tells me that nic is absorbed through the mouth and nose. That is enough research for me.:D Might not be the same for others though. That is one more great thing about vaping. There is a way for everyone. We just each have to find what works best.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I stayed out of that discussion but will now add that I smoked for over 45 years and did inhale into my lungs. Now that I vape I don't pull the vapor into my lungs. I get all the nic I want/need by drawing it into my mouth, hold it in my mouth for a few seconds (I get the most flavor during this step) and then release through my mouth and nose. It tells me that nic is absorbed through the mouth and nose. That is enough research for me.:D Might not be the same for others though. That is one more great thing about vaping. There is a way for everyone. We just each have to find what works best.

I do the same thing mattiem! I thought I was the only one. I enjoy the flavor and still feel like I get plenty of nic.

Same here, the only time I purposefully draw into my lungs is when I don't want to exhale a cloud of vapor.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
yeah, same here, most times it's just into my mouth with maybe slight lung intake, a few percent of the vapor maybe, then back out nasal passages or mouth again, deep inhales for me are for stealth vapes only or if I haven't had a vape in a long time and I'm craving that extra hit. this is probably why I vape ~10mg nic instead of 3-6...

main reason for me is I don't do PG, I'm mainly VG and when I inhale VG into my lungs on a regular bases I feel it, I would get a bit heavy chested and wheezy when taking a lot of VG into my lungs. I def do get nic absorption through mouth, throat and nasal passages though

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
A handsome apology and well done you.

I saw the "argument" developing but didn't get into it as these things rarely end up well ( I was a Moderator on a pipe forum for many years and have seen people go to war over silly questions about pipes, daft though it may seem )

As a pipe smoker I knew well that nicotine can readily be absorbed through the oral and nasal membranes - not inhaling for nicotine is the Holy Grail of pure pipe smoking ( though most of us inhaled a certain amount of pipe tobacco )

It takes a Big Man to come out publicly and say he was either wrong or mistaken ( a lesson politicians have yet to learn ) - again well well done!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Alien Traveler - Nice write-up, but...IMO no apology was needed nor expected. We've all stood our ground on things we felt strongly and confidently about, and later found we weren't 100% right about all those things. No big deal...everyone's been there, done that. I do applaud you...for being a stand-up guy about it!

Glad that you tried the way that some of us vape, and not only found it to be satisfying, but also found increased flavor that you didn't expect, too. I love it myself, and can't see ever vaping another way in my future. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread