Accidently hit the protank with 15w...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwarfcat

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Grand Rapids MI
Ive got no idea how it happened but I grabbed the ole vamo and started hitting it hard. Got a huge mouth ful of vape and sucked it into my lungs. At that time I realized it tasted like burned garbage. I recoil in disgust and noticed that it was somehow set to 15w. So I turned it down to 6w and it tasted like crap still. I let it sit for a few hours and slowly the taste went away and it taste ok. Questions are, is there any reason not to continue using the coil and secondly did i scorch my lungs with vape steam? :-(

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
I really hat that about the Vamo, if you're not careful you set it to 15 watts or whatever....so my man told me to (instead of leaving it at 3w) set it 3.5 or 4 watts...that way if you accidentally hit the button it won't set to 15 but only a set down to 3 or 3.5....it was a great idea, because the resetting it happened to me all the time.

why didn't I think of that....it was so simple

Speedsix

Aug 18, 2013
Indiana
This is exactly what happened to my Vamo V3 with Kanger Protank! It happened a couple of nights ago. I'm still not sure how it happened but mine was set to 15 Watts and the taste was worse than just burning, it was horrible. I swapped coils because even though the taste faded, it would come back every so often randomly on some hits. It was weird but it was ruining my enjoyment of my juice so I swapped it out. I'm about to order some replacements now.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I let a friend of mine at work use my PV one day while I was busy at the bar, was using a SID with an EVOD on it at the time I think, and I was vaping it at 9 watts...now this girl was completely clueless about vaping, pretty much a "press the button and suck on the end" situation, she'd only ever used her little 650 ego. She gave it back, and when I went to use it later she'd somehow managed to crank the watts all the way up....on a single button menu.....swears she didn't do anything but take a couple puffs, but my choking fit after taking a big ole lungful says otherwise! :laugh:

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
Remove the offending head, wash it and then dry burn the gunk off it. Soak the head in vodka or everclear. Dry it and then replace it and you should be all good.

I do this every few days to extend the life of my heads--daily when there's a juice thats really gunking up my tanks (looking at you, boba's bounty).

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
Unless you had stacked batteries, you were probably a little under 14 watts (if V3). You can't hit 15 with a single battery.

But those small coils don't like too much power... coils get too hot and you burn juice (hence the nasty taste). Different juices handle it differently, but I found that anything over 9.5 (in an eVod, same heads) was asking for it.

You are lucky that you didn't torch it too much... you were able to burn off the residue.

Sometimes the only thing you can do is pull the coil.

Last edited:

Pathogenius

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
BC
I couldn't get 20mil through some CEV pomegranate smoothie on my first pro tank coil, 1.8ohm on a simple 900mah ego battery, before the taste went south.
I was shocked as I rolled the removed coil between my fingers and it just crumbled to dust.
I'm going back to dripping for now with coils that don't mysteriously vanish, until I get my kick in the mail

H. Hodges

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Spopkane, WA, USA
Util I recently got my Vamo V3, I only had a Prodigy V3 6v mech for 4 years. With a 2.0ohm carto, that's 18w! I'm still here and never noticed anything adverse affects even though I vape 36mg. I still vape the 36mg, but with my Vamo, I tone it down to 12 or 13w's. I get longer use out of my carto's using that setting, and still get a warm hard vape. I still use the mech as a back up.

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
I was shocked as I rolled the removed coil between my fingers and it just crumbled to dust.

I know Kanger uses NR-R-NR wire on the Protank/Evod coils... I don't know the gauge of the R wire, but it looks a LOT thinner than 32g. It would have to be a really high gauge to get anything in the 2's with NR-R-NR wire.

Being so thin, I don't think it has all that many heat cycles in it before it pretty much disintegrates.

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
I wouldn't worry about the coils, but rather the rubber grommet where the legs are. I'm pretty sure the awful taste was from the singed/burnt grommet.

I just mentioned it but that is specifically why Kanger (at least they do) uses NR-R-NR wire on those coils. It's a tiny coil and they go up to, what, 2.8 ohm? If they didn't use low resistance wire on the legs, those insulators would be burning up constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread