Acrolein from VG?... Simple Test results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I think I got to experience the smell of acrolein when I did my "kenmore mod" video for the funny video contest....I put some vg on a pan heated to high....it was very very very very rank....and smelled as wikipedia describes it "a piercing, disagreeable, acrid smell similar to that of burning fat."....

Maybe it was something else....I do know I have never tasted or smelled anything of that nature in an ecig of any wattage...ever.

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
I think I got to experience the smell of acrolein when I did my "kenmore mod" video for the funny video contest....I put some vg on a pan heated to high....it was very very very very rank....and smelled as wikipedia describes it "a piercing, disagreeable, acrid smell similar to that of burning fat."....

Maybe it was something else....I do know I have never tasted or smelled anything of that nature in an ecig of any wattage...ever.

Well, it mind sound ridiculous, but that puts me at ease lol. Thats my type of experiment right there. "I dunno man, throw it in a pan and see what happens!"

capevette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2009
DISCLAIMER: I just had an idea to test if we're fully safe. NOTE: I am not in physics, healthcare or chemistry, so everything I write below could be totally wrong. This is a best effort from my part with the little I know about the topics discussed her. If you keep reading below it is at your own risk!!!

I agree the way to vape totally safely is to verify the coil cannot go above 280C and I personally think VG may be safer than PG in the long term.

hREMOVETHISttp://wwREMOVETHISw.tripanswers.orREMOVETHISg/answer.aspREMOVETHISx?criteria=&tagtrail=%2Fsafety%2FRespiratory+disease%2F&qid=3517&src=0

NOTE: I've no idea if the above website is legit or trustworthy, but that plus the fact that one can safely have more VG than PG per day make me generally prefer VG to PG.

If you go ahead reading this post, you understand that putting my idea into practice is very risky for your health and that you're doing the test at your own risk only if you understand all the risks involved in doing it. I am not recommending it and I think it's hazardous. But I'd be personally interested to know the result of my idea. NOTE: THE ATOMIZER WOULD NEED TO BE THROWN AWAY IMMEDIATELY IN THE TRASH AFTER THE TEST AS IT WOULD BE CONTAMINATED BY THE TEST FLUID. THE ATOMIZER USED FOR THE TEST COULDN'T BE USED FOR VAPING EVER AGAIN!!

I think I want to be sure for myself of the max temperature of my coils when not dry, so my simple idea would be instead of trying to measure the temperature of the atomizer, to put into the atomizer some liquid that has a boiling point between 240-260C. If it won't manage to generate vapor I think it'd be a very nice further verification that I fully safe from from the acrolein potential hazard of VG.

Search "DOWTHERM A" on google, first link is a PDF (I can't post links..).

I suppose flash point and fire point means the temperature the gas will catch fire if it is ingnited with flame, and that "autoignition temperature" is the temperature the coil would need to reach for the atomizer to catch fire. The autoignition temp is 599C. Clearly to be safer, one would need to put just a few drops of it in the atomizer, and run the test away from any other potentially ingniting material with low flash point, so if things go bad and atomizer catches fire, nothing very bad might happen (the atomizer has to be thrown away regardless if test is positive negative or destructive).

I know nothing at all about this fluid other than what I read in the above pdf from dow.com.

DOWTHERM A boiling point at 257C, so it should not generate vapor if the atomizer coil cannot heat above 257C. It is also liquid at temperatures above 12C which makes life easy to fill the atomizer with it.

Clearly the vapor generated by DOWTHERM A might be very hazardous (I didn't check its toxicity at all!) and it definitely shouldn't be inhaled, so this test should be done outside and with a power supply and making sure not to inhale any vapor produced (but we obviously hope no vapor will be procuded at all, that is what we want to be 100% safe from acrolein!).

A test with 100% VG and verifying that (VG is liquid above 17C) might also be interesting, even if it won't guarantee the atomizer isn't heating up to 289C... Perhaps we should start testing with 100% VG on an ambient with temperature above 17C, and verify it won't generate vapor without mixing it with water.

I wonder what people thinks about this, and

1) if people agrees this may be the simplest and cheapest possible way to verify we're safe from acrolein, or if you've better ideas than mine (I have no equipment to measure the coil, furthermore I am afraid the measurement may not be accurate enough if some liquid sticks in between the atomizer coil and the temperature sensor, I think my test of checking no vapor generated is more trustworthy than measuring temperatures, besides requiring no equipment other than the liquid and a power supply with voltage equal to the battery of the ecig)

2) I wonder if there's anything better than DOWTHERM A to use for my no-acrolein-atomizer-test-not-dry

3) if it turns out I was lucky and DOWTHERM A is the ideal liquid to run the test, I wonder where I could find some of it to run the test myself to validate the brand of choice of my atomizers at home...

I think it's important for people to be as safe as they can so a simple way to test for coil not heating above 280C that everyone could do at home on their atomizer brand of choice would be very nice.

Let's say to me the only thing that matters is that ecigs are safer than real cigs, I still try not to smoke but I usually fail and I simply try to vape as little as possible... but I want to be sure I did everything I could to ensure it was a lot safer than real cigs.

Thanks for this great forum :)

This could be an alternative fluid to use Spec and MSDS available right on the site. 450 degree heat transfer fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread