Adding flavor concentrate to ejuice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Yes, your nic content will drop and your PG content will go up. You should get a juice calculator like ejuicemeup and play with it. Start with small batches and use small amounts, like 5% of flavorings to start with and work your way up

New DIYers should start with recipes already worked out until they get a feel for it. They should also use a scale because it's the simplest method and has no cleanup. You really should look for recipes that sound good and have good reviews before making up your own. Else you're going to be throwing a lot out.

Reactions: Krys1988

Larry J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Amarillo, Texas
How much flavoring you need to add depends a lot on which company's flavoring you purchased. And yes, adding flavoring will drop your nic level, but only minimally, since you'll likely be adding only 5-10% flavoring (depending on the manufacturer of the flavoring.

For more information on DIY juice: DIY E-Liquid

Krys1988

Nov 15, 2016
How much flavoring you need to add depends a lot on which company's flavoring you purchased. And yes, adding flavoring will drop your nic level, but only minimally, since you'll likely be adding only 5-10% flavoring (depending on the manufacturer of the flavoring.

For more information on DIY juice: DIY E-Liquid
Okay I get totally lost when I hear 5% ? How do I know how much 5% is...
I don't mind using one flavor to begin with either .

Could I fill my tank w the juice and just add a drop ? My vape shop has me donthat w menthol if I feel like menthol sometimes w my already made juice ....

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
A lot depends on the flavoring brand. Some brands require a higher % than other brands. TFA is one that "usually" requires more. FA is one that "usually" requires less.

Your nicotine % will decrease as you add flavoring. If you add 10ml of flavoring to a 100ml bottle of 24mg/ml bottle, your nicotine % will now be approx. 21.8.

I've never had the ez doz it so I can't help you with percentages. But, always start low and work your way up. You might start with a tank of unflavored, add a drop of sweetener and maybe 2-4 drops of both flavors. That will give you an idea of "add more of this, less of this, etc.".

Good luck and have fun.

Krys1988

Nov 15, 2016
A lot depends on the flavoring brand. Some brands require a higher % than other brands. TFA is one that "usually" requires more. FA is one that "usually" requires less.

Your nicotine % will decrease as you add flavoring. If you add 10ml of flavoring to a 100ml bottle of 24mg/ml bottle, your nicotine % will now be approx. 21.8.

I've never had the ez doz it so I can't help you with percentages. But, always start low and work your way up. You might start with a tank of unflavored, add a drop of sweetener and maybe 2-4 drops of both flavors. That will give you an idea of "add more of this, less of this, etc.".

Good luck and have fun.
Good advice :)

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014

Could I fill my tank w the juice and just add a drop ? My vape shop has me donthat w menthol if I feel like menthol sometimes w my already made juice ....

I do all the math in my head, but sounds like you could use a ejuice calculator program. If you need it, please use it.

Concentrated flavors need to be thoroughly mixed into base. You can mix ejuices (already vapable, though perhaps stronger than you'd like by themselves) in a tank. I'll even bump nicotine, say up from 3 to 6 mg, by adding drops of up to 36 mg juice in a tank, but I'm not going to try that with 100 mg nic concentrate because if somehow it doesn't mix enough it would be very bad.

Krys1988

Nov 15, 2016
    Good advice :)
    Okay I bought 7ml of each
    I do all the math in my head, but sounds like you could use a ejuice calculator program. If you need it, please use it.

Concentrated flavors need to be thoroughly mixed into base. You can mix ejuices (already vapable, though perhaps stronger than you'd like by themselves) in a tank. I'll even bump nicotine, say up from 3 to 6 mg, by adding drops of up to 36 mg juice in a tank, but I'm not going to try that with 100 mg nic concentrate because if somehow it doesn't mix enough it would be very bad.
    ok so how would u mix it ?

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    How I would do it. My method is a bit crude. I'm not selling it so make slightly odd amounts. I mix straight to the bottle. For example most 10 ml plastic bottles are actually closer to 12 ml but still need to stay below 10 for shake room, so when staying below 10% flavoring I start with 9 ml of base (about 47/53 PG/VG and 1.7 mg, shooting for a final result about 50/50; sometimes I mix from PG, VG, nic direct to the bottle but always use my premix for a little 10 ml). If the flavoring is in a dropper bottle I measure in drops, if thin it's about .02-.025 ml per drop or 2% to 2.5% per drop per ml of juice. In other words, 20 drops to make 10 ml (total) at 4 to 5% ... Since I'm only making about 9.5 ml total, not 10, call it 5%. If using a syringe or pipette, just under .5 ml flavoring. Shake well, flip the bottle a few times, shake more, try it but it's better after at least 2 hours and more shaking.

To get more exact, the trick is to get the total to work out right. For example, to make 50/50 juice with total 8% PG based flavorings and 6% PG based nic solution (if 100 mg nic, resulting in 6 mg final), the VG is easy, 50%, but the PG has to subtract the 14% of other PG based stuff, so only 36% (and even that's simplifying).

Last edited:
    Reactions: NealBJr

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    I have 125ml ejuice 50/50 flavorless 24mg

I ordered 3 flavors
    Strawberry
    Watermelon
    and sweetener

How much flavoring do I add to my solution ?

Drops ?
    I'm a new diy girl!
    I'm trying to somewhat duplicate ez doz it by ruthless
    Don't care if it's exact
    And will my nic content go down once I add the flavor ?
    What flavor company? There's a huge difference in concentration between different companies. I use mostly Sashami and Inawera and most of them require only around 2%, whereas you might need 15% or more with some companies flavorings. Also, get an eliquid calculator, will make mixing a lot easier. There are many free calculators in the android play store (I'm sure there after are calculators in the iphone app store as well).

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

daviedog

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 2, 2013
    Florida
    What flavor company? There's a huge difference in concentration between different companies. I use mostly Sashami and Inawera and most of them require only around 2%, whereas you might need 15% or more with some companies flavorings. Also, get an eliquid calculator, will make mixing a lot easier. There are many free calculators in the android play store (I'm sure there after are calculators in the
    Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
    Where do you purchase Sashami flavorings?..

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    I have 125ml ejuice 50/50 flavorless 24mg

I ordered 3 flavors
    Strawberry
    Watermelon
    and sweetener

How much flavoring do I add to my solution ?

Drops ?
    I'm a new diy girl!
    I'm trying to somewhat duplicate ez doz it by ruthless
    Don't care if it's exact
    And will my nic content go down once I add the flavor ?
    Welcome and glad you joined. Below is pretty much everything you need to know to get started.
    Might like to read:
    diy_beginners_guide - DIY_eJuice
    dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
    Hoosier's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
    http://www.thevaperstable.com/diy/
    How hard is it to get in to DIY liqiud?
    What you need to know as as far as supplies and safety for the first time juicer. | E-Cigarette Forum
    Tips for Beginners – DIY OR DIE

Krys1988

Nov 15, 2016
    How I would do it. My method is a bit crude. I'm not selling it so make slightly odd amounts. I mix straight to the bottle. For example most 10 ml plastic bottles are actually closer to 12 ml but still need to stay below 10 for shake room, so when staying below 10% flavoring I start with 9 ml of base (about 47/53 PG/VG and 1.7 mg, shooting for a final result about 50/50; sometimes I mix from PG, VG, nic direct to the bottle but always use my premix for a little 10 ml). If the flavoring is in a dropper bottle I measure in drops, if thin it's about .02-.025 ml per drop or 2% to 2.5% per drop per ml of juice. In other words, 20 drops to make 10 ml (total) at 4 to 5% ... Since I'm only making about 9.5 ml total, not 10, call it 5%. If using a syringe or pipette, just under .5 ml flavoring. Shake well, flip the bottle a few times, shake more, try it but it's better after at least 2 hours and more shaking.

To get more exact, the trick is to get the total to work out right. For example, to make 50/50 juice with total 8% PG based flavorings and 6% PG based nic solution (if 100 mg nic, resulting in 6 mg final), the VG is easy, 50%, but the PG has to subtract the 14% of other PG based stuff, so only 36% (and even that's simplifying).
    Yeah totally lost how anyone would know what 5% is without measuring l

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.

I know, I am late to this conversation, but let me explain a bit about how DIY juice making goes.

There are three main parts to an ejuice. The Base liquid (either PG, VG, or most likely both), Nicotine, and flavoring.

Nicotine by itself is dangerous in it's pure form, so they usually dilute it down greatly for ease of use. When DIYers buy nicotine, they usually buy it in this diluted form. Even in the diluted form, it is still dangerous, and gloves are usually worn. Some companies offer a highly diluted form to where all you have to do is add flavoring.

The Base is usually Propylene Glycol (PG), Vegetable Glycerine (VG) or Both. Propylene glycol has a thinner, "water like" consistency, holds flavor a bit more than the vegetable glycerine. Vegetable Glycerine has a thicker "corn oil" like consistency, doesn't hold flavor as well as Propylene glycol, but it produces more clouds and has a smoother draw to it.

The last part is Flavoring. Most of these flavors are food flavorings or extracts, but not all food flavorings will work with Ecigs. Vanilla extract, for example, would work well in an Ecig, however most vanilla extracts contain alcohol..which does not go well with Ecigs. For that reason, most flavors are limited to alchohol free extracts or flavors. Some company's flavors are stronger than others, so less flavoring is needed to have a good taste.

Most DIYers have bottles of VG, PG, Nicotine base, and an assortment of flavors to choose from. It's not really hard to mix. I use hypodermic plungers to measure the small amounts of nicotine and flavors, since they can measure fairly accurately by the milliliter. Some companies offer a pre-mixed base, which has a fairly low nicotine content, so all you have to do is add flavorings. That simplifies the juice making by a great factor, but it is more expensive that way. I'll throw some numbers to give you an example of some juice making techniques.

Pre-mixed base technique.... Jon likes a medium flavor, and he prefers a 6mg base. He buys a 6mg/ml 50/50 PG/VG base and a strawberry and cream flavors. he decides to try a %10 flavor mix and he has a 50ml bottle. %10 of 50 is 5, so he wants to add 5ml of flavors.. he decides to try 3ml of strawberry and 2 ml of cream. the rest he fills with his base. He ends up with a 5.4mg/ml solution with a 60pg/40VG(ish) result. He didn't get his exact PG/VG ratio, but he'll probably like the flavor, and it's close enough. :)

My technique.... I usually like a guava/custard mix. I like a high amount of flavors, so I choose a %15 flavor mix. I am putting them in a 30ml bottle. I like a high VG mix, so I won't even worry about the PG/VG ratio. My nicotine and flavorings come in pure PG form, and my nicotine comes in a 60mg/ml bottle... I like %10 Guava, and %5 vanilla custard. %10 of my 30ml bottle is 3ml.. so I put in 3ml of guava, %5 of 30ml is 1.5ml, so I put in %5 of vanilla custard. I like a 6mg mix. I bought the 60mg/ml for ease of math.... all I have to do is add 3ml of my nicotine base. I fill the rest of the bottle with VG and shake until it's fully mixed. The end result, is a %15 flavoring, 6mg/ml guava/custard flavor that ends up being a 75VG/25PG mix.

It sounds complicated, but it's really not. It takes me about 5 minutes to make 3 30ml bottles, and that lasts me for a while. I do have some 256ml bottles, so sometimes I pre-make my juice, and just refill my 30 ml bottles. I use a calculator called steam-engine to do the math for me.

Reactions: Mice Elf

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.

It is much easier to just get a hypodermic plunger.. you don't even need the needle, just the plunger part for measuring. for rough measurements, and not really accurate, but somewhat close, I use the 20 drops = 1 ml method if it has a water like consistency.

So, how do I get %5 of an amount? I would first know the size of the bottle you're putting the target liquid in. If you have a 60ml bottle, I usually do that in my head by taking %10 of 60 (which is 6) and then half that (3)... so, 3ml is %5 of 60ml bottle. put 3ml of flavoring in, then fill the rest with your base and you have a %5 flavor juice.

drop method... %5 flavor, 30ml bottle:

first, find out what %5 of 30 is... (%10=3... so %5 is 1.5ml) if 20 drops is roughly 1ml, then 30 drops is about 1.5ml.. I put in 30 drops of flavoring, then fill the rest with your base.

keep in mind, there's no exact measurement for what a "drop" is... there's a lot of difference between one thing or another.. but it does give a rough measurement. if the flavor is much thicker than water, then I would use less drops..by how much, I don't know.

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    That's what the calculators do for you.

1)You tell it what you HAVE:
    24 mg nic in 50/50 base
    Flavor #1
    Flavor #2

2) Then you tell it what you WANT (from a recipe - which you can make up)
    30 mls (how much)
    6 mg (strength)
    50/50 or 70/30 etc (PG/VG ratio)
    10% blueberry
    5% banana
    or whatever

3) THEN then calculator tells YOU how many MLS of each ingredient to put in a bottle and shake.
    You can use a "srynge" without a needle to easily measure mls as you draw them from the bottles.

I hope that helps!

We can give you amounts to try your first mix - but it IS important to know what strength you want.
    What strength have you been buying and vaping?
    To lower from 24 to much less (like 12 or 6 for instance) you will need, in addition to the flavors, some PG and or VG - which you can probably buy online or in a store - VG the have at Walmart or pharmacies (get "USP" grade only).

Reactions: Mice Elf
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread