Adding flavor concentrate to ejuice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah totally lost how anyone would know what 5% is without measuring l
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

5% is 5%, or .05 times the total. Now that you know how much that is, to actually get that amount you have to measure it somehow, obviously. ;)

The math is simple, but can reach the point of Algebra, if that's at all uncomfortable there's no shame at all in using a ejuice calculator app or webpage. I might even do better with one.

As to the size of drops, if you really want to know you can measure them by filling up 1 ml while counting. With some of my recipes I may want to eventually (for now, I can duplicate them). Those that have have reported 40-55 drops of flavoring per ml. I have done drops from pipettes, not the same as from flavoring bottles, and this is about right.

I do not recommend the "100 drops" method as the drops are all different sizes, but it still might help picture the process. For 5% flavoring, you'd use 5 drops flavor and 95 drops base to total 100 drops = 100%. A similar method uses a graduated cylinder to make it graphically evident how it adds up.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2016
    I have 125ml ejuice 50/50 flavorless 24mg

I ordered 3 flavors
    Strawberry
    Watermelon
    and sweetener

How much flavoring do I add to my solution ?

Drops ?
    I'm a new diy girl!
    I'm trying to somewhat duplicate ez doz it by ruthless
    Don't care if it's exact
    And will my nic content go down once I add the flavor ?

Hi Krys
    Everybody that has responded to you and all their suggestions are really good and if you stick with DIY you will end up following them. Mixing ejuice is not quite as simple as it may sound, yes it's simple to mix it but whether you end up actually liking what you mixed is a totally different question.

If you start with basic flavor concentrates it is a little harder to do unlike say purchasing the flavors from a company like Vape Wild. They've already done the mixing of the flavors part and all you are doing is adding the base(s) and the nic. Kind of like the difference between buying some basic paint colors to paint a picture vs buying a paint by numbers kit.

I suspect with you having purchased only 2 flavors plus a sweetener at this stage you are looking for some very simple mixing suggestions. I'm just a newbie myself at DIY so take what I say with a grain of salt but I've found that small drops of flavoring equal about .02 grams and big drops come it at .03 to .04 grams (you will have to guess which type you are producing based on how they look to you and what size device you're using to create them). Most of the recipes seem to call for flavoring in the 10% to 15% range and normally you want to start small and test before adding more. If you want to make say 10ml of a juice then it will weigh somewhere between 10 grams to 12.6 grams depending on the VG vs PG mix (VG is heavier than PG and PG is slightly heavier than water, 1ml of water = 1 gram).
    So if you want to mix 10% of flavors into your 10ml of juice then you would want 1ml of flavors to 9ml of base. 1ml of flavoring in PG is just a bit heavier than ater so you'll want approx 1 gram of flavoring total. At .02 to .03 grams per drop that suggests you should start with about 30 to 35 drops total flavoring to 9ml of base. Since I don't necessarily trust my math if I were you I'd start with about 20 to 25 drops and then test, working upwards from there.

I will warn you in all probability you will not like what you create but look on it like a learning experience. If you want to stick with DIY then as folks recommend buy yourself a small 100 gr minimum electronic scale, look up existing recipes, then buy and mix your flavors accordingly. Nothing wrong in a few unsuccessful attempts. I've haven't yet thrown out my first attempts but I'm not vaping them either.

Another consideration is that flavors change with time, called steeping, but the two flavors you've chosen and the mixes you are likely to create with them probably need little steeping as they won't change much. However do give your creations a few days in their testing just to see. Creams and custards seem to need longer to steep.

On your sweetener add it only after you've tested your mix and only add it in small, maybe 2 to 3 drops at a time. I've little experience with them but have read they are easy to overdo.

Your nic at 24mg is pretty high and will negatively impact your juice's taste and if vaped through a decent atty will be too strong for you. 3mg juice in a good cloud chucking atty is likely more than sufficient but I'd recommend you dilute the base you've now got down to 6mg to start. To do that you need to add 3 x 125ml of 0mg base to it. You can either do it with just VG or with a VG/PG mix depending on what you prefer.

Good luck with it, have fun, and spend time following all the good advice the other responders have given you.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I do not recommend the "100 drops" method as the drops are all different sizes, but it still might help picture the process.

Just my opinion here, but...If you're referring to Bill's Magic Vapor's 100DT...I, and many others, use it each and every time we test a new recipe. Using the 100DT, I've never made a "flushable" new recipe yet, because I can always "tweak" that small amount until it's to my liking! Then, based upon the notes of any changes I made to that tiny amount...I know when I make a bigger batch, it will be a duplicate of the little sample batch, just more of it!

As he tells in his instructions for doing it...you do what you can to make the drops as close to the same size as possible. (ie. Use identical droppers or pipettes for "dropping" each liquid ingredient; or use syringes wth blunt needle tips that are the same gauge for "dropping" the liquids.)

Reactions: Krys1988

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I will warn you in all probability you will not like what you create but look on it like a learning experience. If you want to stick with DIY then as folks recommend buy yourself a small 100 gr minimum electronic scale, look up existing recipes, then buy and mix your flavors accordingly.

Again, just a differing opinion here, and especially about the underlined part above. First, when many of us started DIY we didn't just jump head first into it! We read and considered what very experienced DIYers suggested, asked questions when we had them, learned about the different measuring methods, learned about basic safety guidelines for using Nic Base, etc. Then we found recipes that interested us and bought the flavorings and other ingredients necessary to make those recipes. IF we did all of the above before jumping into actually mixing ingredients together...most usually DID like what was created most of the time! Problems seem to pop up most often when DIY newbies haven't done the above.

Second, lots of us want/plan to "stick with DIY"...and still don't use nor need a scale to make our eliquids! That's because the other methods for measuring (by volume & by drops) also work for people. It's all personal choice, and using a specific measuring method, (or flavoring company, or Nic Base supplier, etc. for that matter)...isn't required to keep DIYing and still make great tasting eliquid. :)

Reactions: Rickb119

Krys1988

Nov 15, 2016
    i have done my research and I'm asking questions it's trial and error when you start out. The only way to learn is to so it and I buy pre mixed unflavored liquid I chose not to deal w concentrate nicotine at this time.
    My question is ... is there a easier way to mix without using percentages ? I've never been great at percentages but I can measure ml very well.
    And dos anyone have a recipe for mixing the flavors I've mentioned ...[/QUOTE]

Krys1988

Nov 15, 2016
    Great I'll try this... I have tried 3ml premixed vg/pg at full strength 24mg added 2 drops strawberry 3 drops watermelon and two drop sweetener so far as one Diyer had concluded I should do and I like it . I vaped it plain as well and it was already sweet :) I like the combination I've got so far but it's totally missing something! Like a cream or marshmallow... hmmm
    I'll let you know

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    good advice I just want to know if anyone has a recipe I can try using ml in measuring :) maybe add marshmallows to it?
    Thing is, it's dependent on how much eliquid you're making. 5% of 100 ml is 5 ml, 5% of 30 ml is 1.5 ml, and so on.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Just my opinion here, but...If you're referring to Bill's Magic Vapor's 100DT...I, and many others, use it each and every time we test a new recipe. Using the 100DT, I've never made a "flushable" new recipe yet, because I can always "tweak" that small amount until it's to my liking! Then, based upon the notes of any changes I made to that tiny amount...I know when I make a bigger batch, it will be a duplicate of the little sample batch, just more of it!

As he tells in his instructions for doing it...you do what you can to make the drops as close to the same size as possible. (ie. Use identical droppers or pipettes for "dropping" each liquid ingredient; or use syringes wth blunt needle tips that are the same gauge for "dropping" the liquids.)
    VG drops are still going to be a lot bigger. Perhaps use different droppers to compensate. Or just use a better method of measuring the VG, at least -- stick to using drops for the part in small quantity, the flavoring. But then you need to know how much a drop actually is ... A bigger batch measured using another method will not be the same (although possibly just have less VG). Using drops only to measure flavoring, I would only really want to change methods if making a really big batch.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    @mcclintock - I only use Bill's 100DT to make the tiny sample amount that I tweak to my taste and take notes on the changes I've made to it. I then make any larger amounts by using mLs of the liquid ingredients, not drops. :)

That works for me and for many others, too. I've never had a bad batch yet using those methods! Others may use different methods though that "work" better for them. As long as we all end up with our desired results...great tasting eliquids...it's all OK IMO. :thumbs:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    @Smoke_too_much - If the weight method works for you...that's great!

Just wanted to point out that, "If you want to stick with DIY then as folks recommend buy yourself a small 100 gr minimum electronic scale"...is your opinion only 'cause it works for you. It's not necessary in order to "stick with DIY" longterm. There are also other methods that work for many DIYers.

For example, I use the measuring by volume method, and I also mix directly into the bottle the finished eliquid stays in. Only ingredients I measure for my mixes, are the flavorings and the Nic base. The plain VG and plain PG are each just squirted into my bottle to a designated level, and I'm done. That method works for me personally. Only time I count drops is when I do the 100DT mentioned above, with a 3mL or less sample being made of a new recipe. I also may rarely use 1-3 drops of TFA Smooth in a mix, so those I do count.

Point is, there is NO one method all DIYers have to use in order to make great eliquids. Each person should check out the various methods, and then choose which 1 works best for them. Doesn't mean 1 is any better than the other. We'll all get to the same final outcome! :thumbs:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread