Adding nicotine.....HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
So here I am, back again after learning about RTA’s (the payoff is worth it btw). And now I come to my biggest problem....juice.

I’ll say this...I’m vaping, A LOT!!! Like I bought 120mL last week and I’m about halfway done on both. But of a problem considering buying it overseas (my supplier is ridiculously expensive by comparison, but holy crap the flavours....them feels bro)

I get it fast but I power through it almost as fast, so I’m looking at semi DIY-ing it for those moments where my stuff will be stuck in transit and I need some juice to get me through.

I managed to get a bottle of nicotine (undiluted) in a 100% PG base, so as far as buying the juice they have in Australia (which is 0mg by law) I was hoping for the best-case scenario of being able to just add to the juice and away I go.

Is it that simple or do I need to go completely from scratch? I can buy the VG/concentrates here in bulk so no problems there, also if it’s undiluted would I be able to make it as simple as 1mL = 1mg?

Reactions: stols001

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I managed to get a bottle of nicotine (undiluted) in a 100% PG base,
I am highly skeptical that is undiluted (Pure nicotine = 1,000mg/mL nicotine. 100mg/mL is NOT pure/undiluted nicotine.). Pure nicotine is extremely dangerous to work with; requiring commercial ventilation equipment, as well as personal protective equipment. Please post all label details, or take and post a legible photo (front and back if necessary) of the bottle's labeling. Then we can offer informed advise.
also if it’s undiluted would I be able to make it as simple as 1mL = 1mg?
DIY nicotine concentrates come in a variety of strengths (24mg/mL to 100mg/mL is a common range). This concentration (strength), along with your desired target strength, will dictate how much (per mL being adjusted) concentrate to use.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
I am highly skeptical that is undiluted (Pure nicotine = 1,000mg/mL nicotine. 100mg/mL is NOT pure/undiluted nicotine.). Pure nicotine is extremely dangerous to work with; requiring commercial ventilation equipment, as well as personal protective equipment. Please post all label details, or take and post a legible photo (front and back if necessary) of the bottle's labeling. Then we can offer informed advise.

DIY nicotine concentrates come in a variety of strengths (24mg/mL to 100mg/mL is a common range). This concentration (strength), along with your desired target strength, will dictate how much (per mL being adjusted) concentrate to use.

Ok then I’ve probably referred back to the 100% PG part and interpreted it wrong.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Ok then I’ve probably referred back to the 100% PG part and interpreted it wrong.
I hope so. If by slight chance, it actually is pure/1,000mg/mL nicotine, do NOT open the bottle... especially around children, pets, and the infirm. Airborne toxicity can not be stressed enough.

From ECF Forum Rules:
Rule 35: Nicotine Strength
[3] It became obvious that some members joining in discussion of pure nicotine did not have any idea of the danger, or any knowledge of working with hazardous chemicals, or even any basic knowledge of measurements. Pure nic is as dangerous as cyanide - just opening a bottle in a room can result in all present being poisoned. It must be handled in a fume cupboard, with hazmat precautions. Pure nic can be theoretically defined as: Nicotine 100%, 1000mg, 1000mg/ml, but is more likely to be found as 998mg, 997mg/ml or 990 mg (99%). We consider anything over 90% / 900mg to be 'pure nic'. No discussion of use or links to suppliers whatsoever are allowed

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
I hope so. If by slight chance, it actually is pure/1,000mg/mL nicotine, do NOT open the bottle... especially around children, pets, and the infirm. Airborne toxicity can not be stressed enough.

From ECF Forum Rules:
Rule 35: Nicotine Strength
[3] It became obvious that some members joining in discussion of pure nicotine did not have any idea of the danger, or any knowledge of working with hazardous chemicals, or even any basic knowledge of measurements. Pure nic is as dangerous as cyanide - just opening a bottle in a room can result in all present being poisoned. It must be handled in a fume cupboard, with hazmat precautions. Pure nic can be theoretically defined as: Nicotine 100%, 1000mg, 1000mg/ml, but is more likely to be found as 998mg, 997mg/ml or 990 mg (99%). We consider anything over 90% / 900mg to be 'pure nic'. No discussion of use or links to suppliers whatsoever are allowed

Ok I definitely think I’ve gotten it waaaaaay wrong. I’m back home now so ill have a look-see.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
70FCB261-1917-481F-BB89-0DCEE8ADD3F4.jpeg
Here’s the front of the bottle, 100mg....I think?

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
BE476E94-032F-438F-B4CA-F12868ED2006.png
Yes, 100mg pg base.

Ok, so that makes more sense then, looks like this is how I need to mix it (pic related)?

Also based on that calculator I didn’t add any flavouring profile BUT would it affect things if I had a bottle of 0mg liquid (flavoured) and added this stuff to it?

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
It's probably 100 mg/ml base. Juice makers often label their products as X mg when they mean X mg/ml (a fact that infuriates me) and I suspect your nic supplier has done the same. However, it's also possible that the label means that 100 mg of nic is dissolved in whatever volume of PG you have.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
View attachment 731455

Ok, so that makes more sense then, looks like this is how I need to mix it (pic related)?

Also based on that calculator I didn’t add any flavouring profile BUT would it affect things if I had a bottle of 0mg liquid (flavoured) and added this stuff to it?
It will affect the unflavored mixes percentages. Why don't you just add the nic to the 0mg flavored juice? It will dilute the flavor some at 24mg.

• Agree

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
It's probably 100 mg/ml base. Juice makers often label their products as X mg when they mean X mg/ml (a fact that infuriates me) and I suspect your nic supplier has done the same. However, it's also possible that the label means that 100 mg of nic is dissolved in whatever volume of PG you have.

It’s a poor bottle, I had to put it in a separate container due to it leaking.

• Optimistic

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

To find out how much nic to add to a pre-flavoured juice, tell the calculator you want 100% PG. Then enter the volume of pre-flavoured juice as your PG. It should spit out the amount of nic to add.

Then there's an easier way to do it:

Nic base to add = Volume of flavoured juice * 0.316

The above formula assumes you're using 100 mg/ml base and aiming for 24 mg/ml juice. To work it out for any other combination, replace the 0.316 with:

Final Concentration /[(Base Concentration) - (Final Concentration)]

I wouldn't worry too much about the nicotine base diluting the flavour. Your pre-flavoured juice will be over three quarters of the mix, so the flavour should come through without much trouble. Besides, it can be a bit of a nightmare trying to match store bought flavours, so you're probably better off keeping things simple.

Good luck!

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
To find out how much nic to add to a pre-flavoured juice, tell the calculator you want 100% PG. Then enter the volume of pre-flavoured juice as your PG. It should spit out the amount of nic to add.

Then there's an easier way to do it:

Nic base to add = Volume of flavoured juice * 0.316

The above formula assumes you're using 100 mg/ml base and aiming for 24 mg/ml juice. To work it out for any other combination, replace the 0.316 with:

Final Concentration /[(Base Concentration) - (Final Concentration)]

I wouldn't worry too much about the nicotine base diluting the flavour. Your pre-flavoured juice will be over three quarters of the mix, so the flavour should come through without much trouble. Besides, it can be a bit of a nightmare trying to match store bought flavours, so you're probably better off keeping things simple.

Good luck!

Thanks brother, the formulae you provided works for me, it’s a bit daunting as I don’t want to over concentrate the mix. Seems keeping vaping simple is complex

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There are shake and vape one shot flavorings, that might be the quickest way to get an enjoyable mix without steeping. A lot of fruits and berries don't require much steeping, creams, tobaccos and custard type flavors tend to need more steeping. Your mileage can indeed vary, the good news is that you have plenty of base to mix for your experiments.

I would start with smaller, tester batches personally. However, you don't HAVE to do that if you don't want to. Just make sure you keep really good notes, initially, and then along the way as you taste.

Have fun!

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: escapetovape
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread