Adding nicotine.....HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
There are shake and vape one shot flavorings, that might be the quickest way to get an enjoyable mix without steeping. A lot of fruits and berries don't require much steeping, creams, tobaccos and custard type flavors tend to need more steeping. Your mileage can indeed vary, the good news is that you have plenty of base to mix for your experiments.

I would start with smaller, tester batches personally. However, you don't HAVE to do that if you don't want to. Just make sure you keep really good notes, initially, and then along the way as you taste.

Have fun!

Anna

This was one of the flavours I selected (guessing one of the more difficult ones)?

Perfumers Apprentice - French Vanilla II Flavor

Reactions: stols001

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
There are shake and vape one shot flavorings, that might be the quickest way to get an enjoyable mix without steeping. A lot of fruits and berries don't require much steeping, creams, tobaccos and custard type flavors tend to need more steeping. Your mileage can indeed vary, the good news is that you have plenty of base to mix for your experiments.

I would start with smaller, tester batches personally. However, you don't HAVE to do that if you don't want to. Just make sure you keep really good notes, initially, and then along the way as you taste.

Have fun!

Anna

I hear you, I bought a 5-pack of 30mL bottles for specifically that purpose. And a 500mL bottle to mix the liquid and nicotine in (then add flavour). I got 4 flavours total all from the same supplier;

Red licqorice
Creme de menthe
Spearmint
French Vanilla

So I’ll be using that as my guide

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
@stols001 - I made my first batch today;

Creme de Menthe @ 6mg/mL and

I was thinking about doing more but wanted to see how this thing played out. So I’ll see how it goes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

mav_sd

Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Spring, TX
As others have stated, you can simply add your nicotine base to your 0nic liquid purchased locally... you're already ahead of the math game by buying 100mg base. If you want 24 for your nic level, you'd need 24ml per 76ml of liquid... ish... 8ml added to 30 ml... ish... (round numbers) That can be a lot to add to a freshly opened bottle though.

I've found that adding Nicotine base higher than 6-8 percent might over-dilute and mute some flavors, but my local shops sell 0mg and just pump in nicotine to whatever level and for most folks, this is fine, and a practice you see pretty commonly.

If you go full on DIY - which can be tons of fun, be prepared for some trial and error as you "dial things in" there might be some mistakes made, but in your situation, you'll save boatloads of cash along the way.

Have fun, happy mixing!

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
As others have stated, you can simply add your nicotine base to your 0nic liquid purchased locally... you're already ahead of the math game by buying 100mg base. If you want 24 for your nic level, you'd need 24ml per 76ml of liquid... ish... 8ml added to 30 ml... ish... (round numbers) That can be a lot to add to a freshly opened bottle though.

I've found that adding Nicotine base higher than 6-8 percent might over-dilute and mute some flavors, but my local shops sell 0mg and just pump in nicotine to whatever level and for most folks, this is fine, and a practice you see pretty commonly.

If you go full on DIY - which can be tons of fun, be prepared for some trial and error as you "dial things in" there might be some mistakes made, but in your situation, you'll save boatloads of cash along the way.

Have fun, happy mixing!

Thanks for that!! :) I did this one from scratch as I bought premixed VG/PG fluid and some concentrates to give it a whirl, but I have a tobacconist down the road where I can get 0mg stuff in a pinch if I’m in a bind.

I agree about dialling it in and have noticed a flavour difference even at 12/18 and 24mg levels (the Nic really is overpowering at 24). So for this batch I only did a small amount at 6mg/mL and I kept the concentrate (TFA) at a midway point to see how it would turn out. Worst case scenario I will KNOW that it’s not strong enough in nicotine and I’ll know where it would sit as far as flavour wise.

As far as next batches I’m thinking about buying a scale: there was a DIY intro video that I was watching and the scale method looks heaps easier (I was using measuring vials and syringes).

mav_sd

Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Spring, TX
Thanks for that!! :) I did this one from scratch as I bought premixed VG/PG fluid and some concentrates to give it a whirl, but I have a tobacconist down the road where I can get 0mg stuff in a pinch if I’m in a bind.

I agree about dialling it in and have noticed a flavour difference even at 12/18 and 24mg levels (the Nic really is overpowering at 24). So for this batch I only did a small amount at 6mg/mL and I kept the concentrate (TFA) at a midway point to see how it would turn out. Worst case scenario I will KNOW that it’s not strong enough in nicotine and I’ll know where it would sit as far as flavour wise.

As far as next batches I’m thinking about buying a scale: there was a DIY intro video that I was watching and the scale method looks heaps easier (I was using measuring vials and syringes).

Yeah, spend the 10-20 bux online and order a scale that you can have around. Just make sure it reads out at least 2 spaces to the right of the decimal so you can get the precision you're after...especially if you mix smaller batches.

I've said it on other places in the forum, but I like to mix in 100ml batches...so the math is even simpler, lol... For simpler, or most used recipes, I use 5ml syringes...sometimes I need more than one squeeze worth out of the smaller syringes, but they are accurate enough, and if I can use them then I am happy to leave the scale in the toolbox.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Yeah, spend the 10-20 bux online and order a scale that you can have around. Just make sure it reads out at least 2 spaces to the right of the decimal so you can get the precision you're after...especially if you mix smaller batches.

I've said it on other places in the forum, but I like to mix in 100ml batches...so the math is even simpler, lol... For simpler, or most used recipes, I use 5ml syringes...sometimes I need more than one squeeze worth out of the smaller syringes, but they are accurate enough, and if I can use them then I am happy to leave the scale in the toolbox.

Actually that brings up a question I had:

Based on the assumption that I was very confident in flavour concentrations (used them before, old faithful etc). Is there any problem with making a batch (like 1L for example) of flavourless nicotine liquid, then dispensing into smaller 30mL bottles to add flavour to? As far as I can tell it wouldn’t be an issue, but it would be nice to have at least half the process done and then give them flavours as I saw fit.

The only issue I could think of was somehow it might affect the steeping? Because the nicotine had already mixed with the PG/VG solution first and then would somehow bind differently if the flavour was added after?

mav_sd

Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Spring, TX

Based on the assumption that I was very confident in flavour concentrations (used them before, old faithful etc). Is there any problem with making a batch (like 1L for example) of flavourless nicotine liquid, then dispensing into smaller 30mL bottles to add flavour to? As far as I can tell it wouldn’t be an issue, but it would be nice to have at least half the process done and then give them flavours as I saw fit.

The only issue I could think of was somehow it might affect the steeping? Because the nicotine had already mixed with the PG/VG solution first and then would somehow bind differently if the flavour was added after?

You get into slightly fuzzy ratios by mixing up your bases ahead of time... might not be a big deal for you, but consider for example that your recipe only needs 8ml of flavor... or another one needs 12ml worth of flavor... the difference there is that you now reduce overall volume for the bases, and if your nicotine is mixed into your base then you'll be impacting the total amount of Nicotine in the final product. It's a trade-off, though... easy peasy, versus slightly variable blends. There are vendors who sell bases pre-mixed, and lots of people use them.

On the other hand... for my favorite flavors, i'll mix up a flavor blend that I know is right... with nicotine... then add that to an empty bottle, then just top off with VG and PG (pre-mixed). This lets me have full control over nicotine levels and flavoring, and is an easy way to mix. For me... maybe just me, lol... I get the benefits of steeping the flavors together, but can store my flavor blends in smaller more convenient containers.

Surely a case of potAtoe, potAHtoe... :)

• Useful
Reactions: escapetovape

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
You get into slightly fuzzy ratios by mixing up your bases ahead of time... might not be a big deal for you, but consider for example that your recipe only needs 8ml of flavor... or another one needs 12ml worth of flavor... the difference there is that you now reduce overall volume for the bases, and if your nicotine is mixed into your base then you'll be impacting the total amount of Nicotine in the final product. It's a trade-off, though... easy peasy, versus slightly variable blends. There are vendors who sell bases pre-mixed, and lots of people use them.

On the other hand... for my favorite flavors, i'll mix up a flavor blend that I know is right... with nicotine... then add that to an empty bottle, then just top off with VG and PG (pre-mixed). This lets me have full control over nicotine levels and flavoring, and is an easy way to mix. For me... maybe just me, lol... I get the benefits of steeping the flavors together, but can store my flavor blends in smaller more convenient containers.

Surely a case of potAtoe, potAHtoe... :)

I hear what your saying - your method sounds better. My logic was that I could squirt-n-go and only had to worry about the flavour profile in the individual bottles.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I hear you, I bought a 5-pack of 30mL bottles for specifically that purpose. And a 500mL bottle to mix the liquid and nicotine in (then add flavour). I got 4 flavours total all from the same supplier;

Red licqorice
Creme de menthe
Spearmint
French Vanilla

So I’ll be using that as my guide
When you buy flavors read the descriptions that are on the website. Unless it specifically states this is a one shot type of flavor then you may find that a little help is needed to get the flavoring palatable to your taste.

I would guess that the first 3 flavors you have listed could be used as standalones(no other flavors needed) but the vanilla is more of a helper flavor used to smooth or add additional flavoring to a mix. Kinda like when you are cooking or baking and add vanilla to a recipe that has many other ingredients.

The only stand alone vanilla flavor I have found in 7 years of DIY is Hansgen Vanilla and I mix it @6%.

The others may require a little sweetening, so you could add DIY sweetener, or may add a little em or marshmellow to sweeten. Many ways to accomplish, just depend on your individual taste buds.

my 2 pennies

:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

In addition to the info already provided by mav_sd, I would point out that that it already comes mixed in pg/vg originally(however your order it, one or the other or mixed.) You could make the 1 litre a little higher in strength to compensate the nic strength being lowered when adding flavors to it. TBH tho, I don't think you would notice the difference in a 30ml bottle. However, the bigger the bottle for the final ejuice the more that mg difference would show its ugly head.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
In addition to the info already provided by mav_sd, I would point out that that it already comes mixed in pg/vg originally(however your order it, one or the other or mixed.) You could make the 1 litre a little higher in strength to compensate the nic strength being lowered when adding flavors to it. TBH tho, I don't think you would notice the difference in a 30ml bottle. However, the bigger the bottle for the final ejuice the more that mg difference would show its ugly head.

Thanks for that - totally forgot about that fact. I tried to make it simpler for myself but given the feedback I’m getting it’s really much of a muchness unless I was to make one specific flavour in bulk.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I hear what your saying - your method sounds better. My logic was that I could squirt-n-go and only had to worry about the flavour profile in the individual bottles.
I’ve been mixing almost as long as vaping. So I have a lot of 8% flavor recipes that I can mix a quantity of base for, and just drop flacylike you said.

So sure, that can be done. Just not on you base mix all the details, vg/pg, nic level, and % of flavor to add.

Why it works for me is I’m fickle. I love one flavor for weeks but suddenly crave something different. I have 7 tanks full of different flavors right now lol.

toodefmark

Apr 2, 2018
London UK
in my experience, if you use something like an 18mg pure vg nic shot it will mix in nice and smooth at roughly 3mg for every 20-25ml plus the nic shot mls. However, if you instead use say a 72mg nic base for diy you will have to steep it some, so no good for on the go. Just buy nic shots pre-made i guess. Fast and simple. Hope this helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread