Adjustable tank feed idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izord

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2011
USA
I had a carto in my M1A1 was that was feeding too fast and flooding. Gurgling like a straw.

So I drilled a new carto. Had a couple of ideas.

To get the carto clean of the black adhesive wrapper, (it's a resurrector), I scraped off strips of the wrapper with a sharp pen-knife, took less than a minute. Then a little acetone on a paper towel took off the adhesive that was left in about 30 seconds. Old news I know, but I think easier and faster than the drill and sandpaper method. Fingernail polish remover used to be the same thing as acetone, not sure if it still is.

But here's my idea. The hole in the carto inside a tank needs to be a certain size to feed the carto correctly right? But that depends on the viscosity of the juice. And different juice has different viscosity, also depends on the temperature.

I happened to get lucky and get a perfect feeding carto this time. I made the hole a little higher than before. Before I made the hold as recommended just above the bottom of the tank, but still inside. I think that if it's too close to the bottom, it will feed directly to the coil, at least on a single coil. So the juice hardly has to wick through the filler at all, and that can lead to gurgling and flooding. So this time I made the hole (small hole with a dremel diamond tip bit) almost half an inch up. And I got a perfect tank carto.

But here's the best idea I had. How about using the tank fill screw to adjust the feed? I didn't put the hole in the right place this time to try it, but next time I'm going to put the hole right under the screw. That way I can adjust how fast the juice flows through the carto hole buy screwing the filler screw down looser or tighter over the hole.

BuzzKill have you played around with an adjustment screw like that? Feel free to take that idea and run with it.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Next time try this, take your dremel and make a score on the side wall of the carto but DONT go all the way through the carto, then take a needle and poke your hole in the score, yup a needle, it pokes right through, I've been finding a small hole works fine, creates more vacuum and pressure it seems with some cartos, I do 2 of these one on each side with my cartos, I also fill the carto before putting them in the tank. You can always make the hole bigger if need be this way too, but I run an all VG and this works fine.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Ya, if you put it to high it just doesnt make sense because your juice wont feed if it gets lower then the hole., I put mine usually 3/16'-1/4" up from the bottom and find it works fine, sometimes though I do go lower, depends on what Carto I'm using. If you make these small holes, and have them right at the bottom cap, it creates a pressure when you take a pull and acts like a vacuum and works fine with certain cartos, all depends on what Cartos your using, when the liquid pulls in it does soak the carto accept at the very top, it can make your cartos last a bit longer this way at times with certain cartos as well, all depends on the cartos again, how many coils ? how hot or cool they run ? how tightly packed the filler is in the cartos ? they all work a bit differently, a little testing doesnt hurt to find which work best with your particular set up Izord, airflow & feed can be a bit tricky and work differently with different things.

Last edited:

Izord

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2011
USA
Ya, if you put it to high it just doesnt make sense because your juice wont feed if it gets lower then the hole., If you make these small holes, and have them right at the bottom cap, it creates a pressure when you take a pull and acts like a vacuum and works fine .

As long as I have somewhere around a half full tank, the juice is bathing the bottom of my carto in my vaping position, which is approaching horizontal. So the vacuum effect would be working right? With one hole in contact with the liquid. What I'm getting at is that as long as the hole is covered in juice WHILE YOU'RE DRAWING ON THE TIP wouldn't a hole position higher from the base of the carto be better? So that more of the filler wicking material would get saturated with the juice as it's being siphoned into the carto during the draw?

Instead of the bottom-most hole position which can lead to gurgling and flooding?

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
dont u get little metal shavings up in the carto if you dremel it
I've tried them all, Drill, Dremmel, Punch, and even a hacksaw but I've never had shavings with the Dremmel (My preferred method)
I had a carto in my M1A1 was that was feeding too fast and flooding. Gurgling like a straw.

So I drilled a new carto. Had a couple of ideas.

To get the carto clean of the black adhesive wrapper, (it's a resurrector), I scraped off strips of the wrapper with a sharp pen-knife, took less than a minute. Then a little acetone on a paper towel took off the adhesive that was left in about 30 seconds. Old news I know, but I think easier and faster than the drill and sandpaper method. Fingernail polish remover used to be the same thing as acetone, not sure if it still is.

But here's my idea. The hole in the carto inside a tank needs to be a certain size to feed the carto correctly right? But that depends on the viscosity of the juice. And different juice has different viscosity, also depends on the temperature.

I happened to get lucky and get a perfect feeding carto this time. I made the hole a little higher than before. Before I made the hold as recommended just above the bottom of the tank, but still inside. I think that if it's too close to the bottom, it will feed directly to the coil, at least on a single coil. So the juice hardly has to wick through the filler at all, and that can lead to gurgling and flooding. So this time I made the hole (small hole with a dremel diamond tip bit) almost half an inch up. And I got a perfect tank carto.

But here's the best idea I had. How about using the tank fill screw to adjust the feed? I didn't put the hole in the right place this time to try it, but next time I'm going to put the hole right under the screw. That way I can adjust how fast the juice flows through the carto hole buy screwing the filler screw down looser or tighter over the hole.

BuzzKill have you played around with an adjustment screw like that? Feel free to take that idea and run with it.

All you would need to do is put your carto in the M1A1 the other way. That would put the screw near the bottom. Good Idea BTW, it would take all the guess work out of it and probably make atty tanks work better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread