Adjusting flavor for 90+% VG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megs

Verified Member
Apr 10, 2014
Oswego, NY, USA
I'm primarily a flavor-oriented vaper, so I've always used a fair amount of PG whether buying or making my juice. However, I'm wanting to try making a couple mostly-VG juice because I'm curious if the PG could be aggravating some throat issues I'm having. I have an ENT appointment coming up and I want to rule out PG before I go. What I'm wondering is how everyone adjusts their flavoring percentages when increasing the VG ratio. I usually shoot for 50/50 blends, but I think my next mixing session I'm going to do only the PG in the flavorings and do the rest VG. Obviously it's subjective and I'll be testing small batches but if anyone could give me a baseline for how much they bump percentages (if at all), it'd be a great starting point.

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
I don't change my recipes for heavy VG vapes, as I've found the phrase "VG mutes flavors" to be a myth. I do, however, recommend adding a little bit (1-5%) of distilled water if your VG ratio goes above 80%. Generally, I add 2% DW for 80-85% VG, and up to 5% if the VG ratio is in the upper 80's or even goes beyond 90%.

Some people go as high as 10-15% DW, but I've found that too much water can mute flavors (certain flavors), and it tends to pop on my coils alot more often than just VG/PG, which sometimes leads to burning little driplets of ejuice making it past the drip tip.

VENAXIS

Jun 21, 2014
Abu Dhabi, UAE
I completely agree with Aheadatime. All the flavors that I make are VG based (as I only vape for the flavor and vapor), and the only PG in it is contained in the flavorings themselves. I also second that adding a lot of DW can mute flavors (tried it once and it ruined my test e-liquid), so a few drops or 1-5% of DW is sufficient in my opinion.

Good to see others who like VG based e-liquids :D

Vape on! :vapor:

Last edited:

Megs

Verified Member
Apr 10, 2014
Oswego, NY, USA
So far so good. I mixed up tiny batches of three of my go-tos (Banana Cream, Dragonberry, and a pom-lemonade my friend and I have been pretentiously calling Persephone's Kiss) and none taste any more muted than they always do on mixing day. I used roughly 5% DW and haven't gotten too much crackling yet. Thanks for the guidance guys, you're the best! I just might be a VG convert.

Transdelta

Verified Member
Jun 12, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA, USA
I don't change my recipes for heavy VG vapes, as I've found the phrase "VG mutes flavors" to be a myth. I do, however, recommend adding a little bit (1-5%) of distilled water if your VG ratio goes above 80%. Generally, I add 2% DW for 80-85% VG, and up to 5% if the VG ratio is in the upper 80's or even goes beyond 90%.

Some people go as high as 10-15% DW, but I've found that too much water can mute flavors (certain flavors), and it tends to pop on my coils alot more often than just VG/PG, which sometimes leads to burning little driplets of ejuice making it past the drip tip.

Spot on; 100% VG doesn't mute flavors in the slightest. If anything, it just changes the profile of when certain notes "pop"

I have a hard time vaping PG mixes due to throat irritation and find the reduced TH of VG mixes to allow better tasting anyway

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
So far so good. I mixed up tiny batches of three of my go-tos (Banana Cream, Dragonberry, and a pom-lemonade my friend and I have been pretentiously calling Persephone's Kiss) and none taste any more muted than they always do on mixing day. I used roughly 5% DW and haven't gotten too much crackling yet. Thanks for the guidance guys, you're the best! I just might be a VG convert.

That's great to hear! Glad you found the transition as painless as I did. I'm now at a point where I won't vape anything with more than 20% PG because it seems to irritate my throat and dry out my mouth. Try converting 1-3% of your DW into saline solution (.09% solution found on amazon and the likes). Thanks to WeR2Cool, I've found that adding a bit of saline into my mixes helps with the dryness a bit and also makes certain flavors blend well together (specifically desserts/bakery vapes).

natchez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2012
Nevada
I mix all VG a lot as the wife gets mouth irritation with anything more than the minimal PG in the flavorings. I go between 5% and up to 10% water. It depends on how thick the PG seems to me. Some of the PG is more viscous than other PG.

Also, I prefer filtered water to distilled, as distilled tastes flat to me, but we have a reverse osmosis system in the house. So, the water is pretty clean.

The atomizer popping or spitting seems not too much to me down to about .7 ohms @~ 19 watts; less ohms than that I do notice an increase in popping or spitting. I usually run a ~.9 ohm dual coil on a mechanical mod. I have been using the 454 Kryptonite atty that has a clever anti-spitting drip tip.

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
Its so nice finally hearing people agree that VG doesnt mute flavor. Its about time. Ive been saying this for a loooong time now! Ahead is right too. Too much DW can cause popping and sputtering. However it can also be caused by a loose coil. Usually I find that to be the culprit. As someone who tends to be in the 10%+ dw range and makes my own coils I usually find rebuilding the coil mostly eliminates it.

If you ever are converting a mostly pg to mostly vg recipe I have found usually no need to adjust flavoring. However if its just not right very slight adjustments are what you want to do. Usually .05% more of each flavoring is necessary.

You will find over time.too that you can even decrease your flavoring amounts and your sense of taste will adjust to it. I used to mix Golden Virginia from ecx at like 9%. Now I find the same intensity around 5% which Ive seen I can do with many flavorings as well. My guess is our tastebuds become more attuned over time to regularly used flavors.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I too had trouble with throat irritation (coughing) and thought it might be the PG. I'd been mixing 50/50 and changed it to about 20/80. That helped some, but didn't completely eliminate the problem.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered some VT nicotine. (With so many stellar reviews, I had to try it.) After making and vaping several different mixes, EVERYTHING made with the other nicotine got dumped down the drain. I can chain vape this stuff and not cough once!

I'm not saying that the other (2 different brands) was bad. It's just that they caused me to cough, whereas the VT does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread