Advice and Experiences on Reducing Nic Level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for people's experiences at cutting down nicotine level. Primarily, is it usually best to reduce all your liquids at the same time, how fast do you usually taper, that sort of thing.

One problem that I have is that I currently vape 24mg nic all the time as I was a very heavy smoker. I've been doing that for about 3 months and feel I'm ready to start cutting down, I don't even think about analogs anymore. I basically have one lemon and lime juice which I vape about 70% of the time and a tobacco liquid about 25%. Very occasionally I also have some cherry or coconut flavour. The thing is that I have about 40ml of the tobacco flavour in stock at the moment but I'm needing to order some more lemon and lime. Do I order some 18mg of the lemon and lime or wait until next time when I'll probably also be low on the tobacco liquid? I'm wondering if people tend to just start gravitating towards the higher nic juice if there's a discrepancy.

Throat hit is something that is important to me and is one reason I can see myself struggling a bit with cutting down although I've got a feeling that the lemon and lime flavouring adds to it to some degree or other. But anyone had problems with regard to that and lack of satisfaction at lower nic levels? Finally I know that there is strong evidence to suggest that tobacco users do an excellent job of self-titrating their nicotine levels. I'm wondering if people have found they simply end up vaping more liquid when they lower their nic level?

JaxMike

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Jacksonville FL
" Primarily, is it usually best to reduce all your liquids at the same time, how fast do you usually taper, that sort of thing."

I'm fairly new myself, but have cut from 18 to 12 and now experimenting with 6 (all since the first of the year). I don't see why you'd change all at once... you're setting yourself to fail, IMO.

If I were you, I'd maintain a supply of 24 mg, but buy some 18 and try using that as much as possible. But have the 24 as a fallback.

I used low nic while "idly" vaping at my computer (chain vaping) and a higher level when I really wanted some satisfaction... after a meal, out playing, etc. But gradually became comfortable that I could stop ordering the higher level.

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
yea i was vaping at the 24mg strength as well and just ordered some more eliquid and was wanting to cut back. i got some 18mg strength now and i did that to help cut down and also to see if it makes the flavors taste better without being overpowered by the nicotine. i ordered

lemon 18mg 30ml bottle
Pineapple 18mg 10ml bottle
coffee 18mg 10ml bottle
ordered all this from dfwvapor.com so i can't wait to see how these vape. also way cheaper than what i was paying for e-liquid from volcanoecigs.com they were just insane on prices at volcanoecigs. dfw had real good prices. also i like the same flavors as the op love lemon and lime but wasn't much on the tobacco flavors but i do want to try the coffee flavors i think i might like those.

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Seattle
I'm looking for people's experiences at cutting down nicotine level. Primarily, is it usually best to reduce all your liquids at the same time, how fast do you usually taper, that sort of thing.

One problem that I have is that I currently vape 24mg nic all the time as I was a very heavy smoker. I've been doing that for about 3 months and feel I'm ready to start cutting down, I don't even think about analogs anymore. I basically have one lemon and lime juice which I vape about 70% of the time and a tobacco liquid about 25%. Very occasionally I also have some cherry or coconut flavour. The thing is that I have about 40ml of the tobacco flavour in stock at the moment but I'm needing to order some more lemon and lime. Do I order some 18mg of the lemon and lime or wait until next time when I'll probably also be low on the tobacco liquid? I'm wondering if people tend to just start gravitating towards the higher nic juice if there's a discrepancy.

Throat hit is something that is important to me and is one reason I can see myself struggling a bit with cutting down although I've got a feeling that the lemon and lime flavouring adds to it to some degree or other. But anyone had problems with regard to that and lack of satisfaction at lower nic levels? Finally I know that there is strong evidence to suggest that tobacco users do an excellent job of self-titrating their nicotine levels. I'm wondering if people have found they simply end up vaping more liquid when they lower their nic level?

I started cutting after the first week. Kept 12mg, 6mg and 0mg on hand. Cut some 12 with 0.

Throat hit is a basis of heat (wattage) in the device, and amount of pg in the liquid. I can get throat hit on 6mg 70/30, and 0mg 80/20, and no throat hit in 24 mg 100 vg.

Had some 18 mg for first thing in morning, replaced that with 12. Maintenance switched from 12 to 6. (started on basis of 18 for urges, 12 for maintenance; then 12 for urges, 6 for maintenance; then half and half time in 6mg and 0mg.)

All the juice I am ordering now is 0nic. I can cut some uncut 12 (or sell the 30 ml bottle), still got enough 6 to last.

I approached it the same way I timed myself to 4 - 5 cigs a day. Right now, content to have one topper with 6, and ine topper with 0. Have a few carts and disposable 12s can use if necessary.

I wanted to do it rather quickly, so started trimming back after one week. As always, YMMV.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I DIY so I had a bit of an advantage. When I was getting close to the end of a bottle I would make the next bottle one mg less and mix the two in the tank until the higher bottle was gone. Then just vape the lower one. Honestly I went from 12 mg to 1 mg without even really noticing it.

One big caveat though. I run rebuildables so I can setup my RDAs for more TH to some extent. 0 nic is NEVER going to have the TH of juice with nic. It is a matter of getting used to not having it.

cbrite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I started with 12 mg a couple of months ago. Just ordered new juice at 6 mg, but have a boatload of 12, so I vape some 12 and some 6 for now. I don't notice any difference if I just vape 6 all day OR if I vape 12. I plan to get some 0 nic and use it to cut the nicotine in the 12 mg as time goes on. I really don't think anyone should be in a hurry to cut back on the nicotine because better a little higher than having cravings or going back to a cig. You will know if you are getting too much nicotine. Whatever you decide, don't get rid of the higher nicotine juice in case yo need it.

emily n portland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
portland, OR, USA
Hello. I think you've gotten great advice, I'll just add my experience.

I started out at 24mg, dropped to 18mg just maybe a month later. Dropped to primarily 12mg, after maybe another 2 months. Maybe a month later, I switched to 6mg at night, for when I was chain vaping, b/c I was having trouble falling asleep.

I still have a couple 18mg on hand, for any cravings/stressful times.

Appreciate the replies, since others have succeeded this way, I think I'll order some 18mg of the lemon and lime one and try and vape that the majority of the time as I do now.

also i like the same flavors as the op love lemon and lime but wasn't much on the tobacco flavors but i do want to try the coffee flavors i think i might like those.
Oh believe me I had no end of problems finding a tobacco flavour that I liked and even now I've only got one, but that particular one is pretty nice. I must have sampled at least 20 different tobacco liquids during this process. The one I found in the end was Hermano Rubio by T-Juice, I'd say its pretty unconventional for an e-liquid tobacco flavour and definitely worth a try but probably only available from the UK.

jwag1973

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Saint Louis, MO.
I started at 24mg dropping to 18 a few months later. When dropping my levels, I lowered nic with my favorites first. Worst case you'll vape more. As the others got low they were dropped as well. I'd did the same thing going down to 12mg and it was pretty much painless. I've still got some 18mg I've not finished yet. When I do vape the 18 it's not that drastic, if that makes sense. I'm happy at 12mg for now, I feel like it's a good place for me personally. Though I'd like to get to 6mg, I'm in no rush. I've dropped levels more on a whim than creating a deadline. Move at a comfortable pace, at it should be a relatively easy.

VAscooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Springfield, MO
Have you ever considered mixing your own? I pretty much mix all of my juices and have for several years. I still buy some premix when I find a flavor I want to try. The nice thing about mixing your own is that you can adjust the nicotine level on each bottle and step down slower. You can buy some 5 or 10 ml empty bottles from suppliers to make small batches. Just a though. If you want some additional information just pm me.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Buy an 18 and a 12 of the lemon lime. Take a couple puffs on the 18 then switch to the 12. If you use tanks fill one with 18 the other half way with 12. Go back and forth. Try a day just of the 12. If you need more hit the 18.

I usually vape 3-6mg. I have a 18mg that I use after work on the way home. I get a few puffs on it and switch to my 3-6mg tank.

I hope to be 0 mgs at the end of this year.

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
i started vaping at 18mg and have stayed at that level. the plus side is that since i started off at a realistic nic level for me i was able to quit smoking entirely. i had my last tobacco ciggie the day my e-cig starter kit arrived. though i plan on experimenting with stepping down to 12mg soon just to see if that can be my new normal.

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
One trick that helps is to have a low nic night juice. Find a new flavor you like and only use it after say 6pm. That way you start to ween down when its easier at the end of the day and still get your morning kick.

^^This. I started with 24mg/ml myself, and had 12 and 18 on hand for "evening" vaping (I tend to vape more at night, and we know some of us have a hard time sleeping with a lot of nic before bed). I ran out of the higher nic and just vaped the 12mg/ml stuff all day after about a week or two into vaping. I discovered it "did it" for me just fine at that level.

A few months later, I find myself gradually cutting the level, first, lowering the "nighttime" vape strength, then transitioning to lower for the day time. My body just "needs" less and less. I'm at 6mg (and even some diluted down to 3mg at night) presently, and it works just fine for me.

So, the short story is, if you're looking to cut the strength, I suggest trying a lower mg/ml in the evenings and gradually introduce it to the day time vape. No rush, though, and you can always stay where you're at, too, if need be. Or even keep one bottle of "high nic for emergency" stress vapes.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I'm at 0 nic, and have been for awhile. Moving down was easy, and looking back, I think I could have moved down a lot faster.

I didn't try to save all my juice. I still have juice in 30mg and 24mg from a couple of years ago. But that juice was mostly stuff I tried and didn't really love. The juice I liked and vaped all the time all got used.

As I moved down, I did half steps. I'd be at 24, for instance, ready to move to 18. I'd buy juice in 18, and I'd mix the last of my 24 50/50 with some of the 18. Use that (it essentially gives you 21) for a week or two, then go to the 18. Then I'd do the next level (18 in this example) for two or three months, then move down another level using that "mix it half-and-half" thing again.

When I dropped to 3 mg, I stayed there for awhile. Mostly, I think, because I was very nervous about the idea of no nic. But the lack of nic never really bothered me much.

The biggest thing about going to 0 was the lack of throat hit. I'm more or less used to it now, but it would be nice to get that TH again.

If you get some very low nic juice, you can use that to "lower the level" of any higher nic juice. Do a little math and you can mix it to any level you want.

mvroman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Texas
What I would do is stick with your 24mg, but also buy the same flavors in 18mg and do a 50/50 mix between the two to drop the level down just a bit. Then once you get comfortable with that, drop to 18mg.

Then 18mg+12mg, etc. Also look into some other flavors that you might like, for me it was so e of the sweeter fruit flavors that got me to drop my nic level. Also when I am home I primarily use RDAs which made me drop my nic level too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread