Advice moving from Mini to Mid size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajventi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
New Jersey
I'm very new to vaping, but have been analog free since day 1. And I would peak near 2 packs a day on analogs. So even though it's very new, I'm sold on vaping.

I started buying two eonsmoke (KR808-1 i think) starter kits. The short battery life isn't a big deal in my normal daily life as I've always got a place to charge. I plan on buying juice to refill my used cartomizers very soon. But I'm pretty sure I want to move up to a manual Mid size PV very soon as my primary and most likely retire the minis for convenience.

So I have a few questions:

1. Should I bother trying to get something compatible with the KR808 stuff I have Or will that be limiting my choice of a better medium PV?

2. It seems the 510's are much more popular, are there thread adaptors available?

3. Tanks, cartomizers, drip, coils, Ohms ... what should I know to help me decide?

I should add I don't mind doing a little work like cleaning, and maintaining equipment. I see myself going the DIY route and making my own juices in the near future as well. I also think I will probably like a manual rather than automatic.

Any advice is appreciated.

GreenEyesDon'tLie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
MD, USA
1. If you want something 808 compatible, the only thing I know of is the Smokeless Image X2. It's basically an 808 Ego. They don't do any VV stuff, but if you don't care about that then Smokeless Image is great.

2. 510 is definitely the most common threading. There are adapters to and from basically any style, but I've never used them because I've read a lot saying they can mess with draw in a bad way.

3. I like clearos personally. Dead simple to fill and most are easy to clean. I drip to try new juice but not for my normal vaping, it's too much work for that imo

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
I only recommend 808 for someone who wants the cigarette "feel" experience and doesn't think they'll move on to something bigger. Having said that, it's really not all that expensive to move over to 510 and you can still use the 808 gear for specific purposes. Whether you need adapters or not entirely depends on the next device you are interested in.

If you go with say an Ego vv with a tank system, there really is no point in buying adapters. Just get the ego, tank, and a charger with any other misc. supplies you think you might need. Since you're looking for a "mid" size device, I'd say the Ego Twist would be up your alley. It shares the same principals as an 808 device with the only difference really being size of battery and connector type.

Recommended gear for new ego user setup:

Ego Twist or the new 3-6v passthrough
Spare ego battery (even a standard ego would do in a pinch)
Fast charger (perhaps a spare just in case)
Vivi Mini Nova tank WITH spare metal tank and/or the replaceable atomizer clearomizers

Optional items:

Thread sleeve/skirt/etc to give the tank a finish look on the ego. SMALL size for mini nova needed.
Extra atomizer heads or wire and wick (nova comes with 2 spare atomizers at different ohms)
Metal drip tip that matches metal tank
A lanyard that allows you to keep the ego around your neck
Syringe with blunt needle to help refill metal tank if you are finding it difficult to fill

Tank systems (I classify clearos as tanks) are generally easy to fill and especially CLEAN. If you go with a wick tank, remember to twirl or tip the tank once in awhile to help the wicking process) The other tank option would be a carto tank system which needs no tilting but will require replacing the cartos after time. You will also have to punch holes in the carto (you can buy a simple device to do this or use a dremel). They DO make pre-punched cartos but some people find the pre-punched holes don't work so well and they end up punching them again.

You can find plenty of reviews on these setups on youtube to help you make a decision. Best of Luck!

Last edited:

cedric212

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Columbus, Ohio

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
Convenience and consistency. No more fiddling with voltage to accommodate for different atty/clearo/carto since there's always a disparity between the what's being marketed and the actual resistance. Like VV, it not a must have feature, but at that price...:lol:

So basically you set the wattage and it automatically changes the voltage based on resistance?

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I really don't understand the sensation about VW. You can only maximize your vapor and flavor so much before you're ultimately "tweaking" the numbers without really changing your vape experience noticeably. Unless I'm missing something here .... ?

Sometimes you just want a deeper, warmer vape - a better hit. Some liquid tastes better when you tweak it.

ajventi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
New Jersey
What do you find lacking with your current setup? You say battery life isn't an issue. What about it aren't you happy with?

It'll help us figure out what might be a good fit for you.

No not exactly, Battery life hasn't been an issue and isn't an issue in normal daily life. But I know there are occasions where I will find myself not easily able to plug in and charge a few times a day so I'd like to have something with a longer battery life.

I'd say the main issue is that I know I'll be buying liquid real soon to reuse my cartomizers. I'll most likely wind up making my own liquids. It seems so far in my limited education that the cartomizer is probably the least desirable setup to be refilling, where a tank or clearomizer is much better suited to someone who wants to use their own liquids.

arrowroot

Oct 29, 2012
Virginia
I started with 808, found I liked clearomizers more than carto's. Picked up a few ego's (two twists, one T) and some Kanger T's, and have been very happy. Finding the right juice has been the bigger challenge. I actually preferred my T over the twists with the juice I was trying, as I found I was setting the voltage low and the draw too airy on the twists compared to the T. Hooked up with some juice that the higher voltage has been much nicer with, and am now using my twists more.

Best of luck!

GreenEyesDon'tLie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
MD, USA
No not exactly, Battery life hasn't been an issue and isn't an issue in normal daily life. But I know there are occasions where I will find myself not easily able to plug in and charge a few times a day so I'd like to have something with a longer battery life.

I'd say the main issue is that I know I'll be buying liquid real soon to reuse my cartomizers. I'll most likely wind up making my own liquids. It seems so far in my limited education that the cartomizer is probably the least desirable setup to be refilling, where a tank or clearomizer is much better suited to someone who wants to use their own liquids.

You may want to try some clearos made to fit a mini, Smokeless Image has the Nano and CE3's made for this. They don't hold quite as much as the bigger clearos, about 1ml each, but they both work great. A Nano on a Volt 78 is what I use most of the time

ajventi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
New Jersey
You may want to try some clearos made to fit a mini, Smokeless Image has the Nano and CE3's made for this. They don't hold quite as much as the bigger clearos, about 1ml each, but they both work great. A Nano on a Volt 78 is what I use most of the time

Thanks!

That sounds like the best option to satisfy my "I need to buy juice soon but I don't want to jump into dropping more cash on a new PV problem." Although the X2 battery looks like it may also give me a pretty good charge time for a decent price. Just to make sure, it looks like the Volt is compatible with the eon 808 is 808 regardless of what digits surround it?

GreenEyesDon'tLie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
MD, USA
Thanks!

That sounds like the best option to satisfy my "I need to buy juice soon but I don't want to jump into dropping more cash on a new PV problem." Although the X2 battery looks like it may also give me a pretty good charge time for a decent price. Just to make sure, it looks like the Volt is compatible with the eon 808 is 808 regardless of what digits surround it?

As long as it says 808, it's compatible. There are some nonstandard 808 things (Mistic stuff comes to mind), but none of them actually claim to be 808's. An X2 at some point would be a good step up, better battery life without having to buy a bunch of new 510 stuff, but the Nanos & CE3's will definitely do well for now

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Smokeless Image is all 808s and everything is compatible. Their X2 650 last me 7-8 hours but I also use the regular manual 78mm batteries...and I was a heavy smoker. I know others will recommend clearos and tanks...but I've tried those and I still keep coming back to cartomizers which I refill many times. I just find cartos easier. No muss no fuss...but that's just me.

GreenEyesDon'tLie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
MD, USA
Smokeless Image is all 808s and everything is compatible. Their X2 650 last me 7-8 hours but I also use the regular manual 78mm batteries...and I was a heavy smoker. I know others will recommend clearos and tanks...but I've tried those and I still keep coming back to cartomizers which I refill many times. I just find cartos easier. No muss no fuss...but that's just me.

Have you tried the Nanos? No muss or fuss there either. Squirt some juice in it and vape, soak it in hot water maybe once a week to clean, throw it away when it starts to taste weird and cleaning doesn't help.

ajventi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
New Jersey
Thanks for everything. I've been browsing smokeless image and really like their site. The videos are quite helpful as well. I think I may try out some of the Nanos. I wish they sold sampler ejuice sets, but everything seems to be 30-mL. So I'll probably get a 30-mL Tobacco and try some of the sampler cartomizers they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread