Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all

I have been vaping for a year or more with a smok Gx 2/4 sub and really enjoy it but I think it is about at the end of its production life and I am afraid the coils will become impossible to find soon. I don't built coils or really want to. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what setup I should buy next. Thank you for you time.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Robert Francis, if your tank uses TFV8 coils Vaporesso GT core coils may well fit.

And rebuildables aren't that scary, there's ones that use mesh, there's pre built coils, RTA's (Rebuildable Tank Atomisers) that are single coil and easier on novices and a whole load of folks that can help you out here.

I myself am getting my first RTA's, Geekvape Ammit 25. Wish me luck, I'll need it. But it'll be cheaper and better in the long run.

I'm thinking of using flat wire or ribbon to make the coil, can go old school and use a drill bit for that. And using ekowool (silica fibre) for the wick, which at least you can't burn.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Robert Francis, if your tank uses TFV8 coils Vaporesso GT core coils may well fit.

And rebuildables aren't that scary, there's ones that use mesh, there's pre built coils, RTA's (Rebuildable Tank Atomisers) that are single coil and easier on novices and a whole load of folks that can help you out here.

I myself am getting my first RTA's, Geekvape Ammit 25. Wish me luck, I'll need it. But it'll be cheaper and better in the long run.

I'm thinking of using flat wire or ribbon to make the coil, can go old school and use a drill bit for that. And using ekowool (silica fibre) for the wick, which at least you can't burn.
I’m not big on silica fiber myself. It’s what all the really small microcoils used back in the day. It has some advantage in that you can actually dry burn the wick so you basically don’t need to rewick at all. Folks moved away from it though primarily because of the possibility of silicosis.

Reactions: Mordacai

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
I hear you bombastinator, but glass is a relatively inert substance. And besides.
odds-of-dying-death-kill-living.gif

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I hear you bombastinator, but glass is a relatively inert substance. And besides.
View attachment 797037
That’s the thing. A lot of the “science” we’ve had up till now is quick and dirty single studies funded by anti-vaping interests and frequently hand composed to make ecigs look as bad as possible. Now a few large studies by respected groups are starting to come out and the information is totally different. It’s entirely possible that the silicosis risk from silica wick is actually ridiculously low. Time will tell.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Recent developments in the past year in Squonking make it something to consider. Now there are regulated devices and Attys that have replaceable Coils(Including Wicking)

The Eleaf Pico Squeeze 2 is a regulated squonker. It has a low profile design and very good for vaping at
up to 78 watts. I'm using 1 21700 battery per day. But you might want to consider a Dual Squonking regulated mod. There are plenty out there.

I just checked and you are used to 2 -4 batteries. There are plenty of regulated squonkers that will use 2 batteries.
This one might be a worthy contender
LUXOTIC DF BOX with Guillotine V2 - Wismec Electronics Co.,Ltd

There are two squonking attys on the market that you might consider.
The Vandy Vape Maze. All you have to do is to replace the circular Atty by unscrewing and screwing in the disk.
My sweet spot is 68 Watts. The disks are available for 3 for $7.00 delivered from Fasttech.

The second is the Ijoy SRDA Atty.
It also gives a great vape and has the advantage of being a dual coil atty. I found my sweet spot at 40 watts.
I bought a box of replacement Attys but was very unimpressed because 2 had the wicking extending to be in front of the holes but the third when you look through the two holes in the bottom looked empty. So the build quality on the replacements are suspect.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Your mod is no longer being made, true, BUT the coils for the tank (Smok Big Baby Beast) will be around for a loooooong time. Not only from Smok, but from Advken and Vaporesso and A leaf and more... There are 2 RBA sections available for it. One specific to the Big Baby Beast/Baby Beast (uses a taller glass to accommodate the taller RBA section) and the newer Smok Baby Prince RBA.

TL;DR your rank is fine for the long run.

Your mod? If it ain't broke (yet)...

If, on the other hand, you just want a new mod/kit Innokin is making some nice ones... The Proton is nearly universally beloved. A lot of Asmodus mods are really nice, too. Vaporesso and Smoant also make some nice mods. Of course, a DNA250C would be top o' the charts.

On the cheap, iJoy recently released the Mystique Mesh kit which ships with a disposable mesh coil tank... You can probably find one for around $35, and the replacement tanks are about $7 per 3 pack (or you can continue to use your existing tank). The downside to the tanks are, of course, they're disposable... More trash...ugh. The benefit is that the tanks are nigh on indestructible. And, the flavor ain't too shabby. Oh, yeah, and they're relatively low power... I'm running mine happily at 43 watts and getting 2+ days out of a set of Samsung 25Rs.

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I’m not big on silica fiber myself. It’s what all the really small microcoils used back in the day. It has some advantage in that you can actually dry burn the wick so you basically don’t need to rewick at all.

There's a lot of misinformation around regarding silica wicks--even on this forum. There are two kinds of silica--amorphous and crystalline. The amorphous silica, used initially in cigalikes, is perfectly safe and OK to be used as a wick. The dangerous kind is the crystalline silica--the kind that causes silicosis.

The discussion about safe and unsafe silica started after Aspire introduced a mystery "ceramic" wick (ca 2014) that crumbled to dust when touched (Busardo showed it in his video). There was a suspicion that those tiny, respirable fiberglass particles (under 5µ) could get into our lungs. This chart made by @Boden shows the size of amorphous silica fiber used in silica rope (22-32µ)--the safe kind--in comparison to the unsafe, crystalline silica fibers. :)

micron-size-comparison-jpg.183440

Folks moved away from it though primarily because of the possibility of silicosis.

We moved away from silica rope to cotton when rebuilding became popular (ca 2010-11). It was a pain to wind a coil around a piece of slippery silica rope--we had to stick a needle through the rope to stabilize it first. I hated that process and never could get it quite right. With cotton, you made a coil first (toothpicks and skinny drill bits were handy) and then just cut the wick to fit the coil. We started with organic cotton balls from Walgreens. :)

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
HI all

I have been vaping for a year or more with a Smok Gx 2/4 sub and really enjoy it but I think it is about at the end of its production life and I am afraid the coils will become impossible to find soon. I don't built coils or really want to. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what setup I should buy next. Thank you for you time.

Do you prefer high wattage, DTL kind of vaping? Tell us more about your preferences and we'll be better able to advise you. There are many tanks with drop-in coils that are suitable for DTL, MTL and MTL/restricted DTL vaping.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
There's a lot of misinformation around regarding silica wicks--even on this forum. There are two kinds of silica--amorphous and crystalline. The amorphous silica, used initially in cigalikes, is perfectly safe and OK to be used as a wick. The dangerous kind is the crystalline silica--the kind that causes silicosis.

The discussion about safe and unsafe silica started after Aspire introduced a mystery "ceramic" wick (ca 2014) that crumbled to dust when touched (Busardo showed it in his video). There was a suspicion that those tiny, respirable fiberglass particles (under 5µ) could get into our lungs. This chart made by @Boden shows the size of amorphous silica fiber used in silica rope (22-32µ)--the safe kind--in comparison to the unsafe, crystalline silica fibers. :)

micron-size-comparison-jpg.183440

We moved away from silica rope to cotton when rebuilding became popular (ca 2010-11). It was a pain to wind a coil around a piece of slippery silica rope--we had to stick a needle through the rope to stabilize it first. I hated that process and never could get it quite right. With cotton, you made a coil first (toothpicks and skinny drill bits were handy) and then just cut the wick to fit the coil. We started with organic cotton balls from Walgreens. :)
I always wound the coil just like I do for cotton wicks, then threaded the silica wick onto a large needle and threaded and re-threaded the coil until I was happy with the amount of wick. Easy, but still not as easy as cotton. Still have several spools of silica around, too.

• Agree
Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thank you for all the replies I use a .15 coil and stay about 60w.

I"m a MTL vaper so I can't be of much help, but I have read good things about Freemax Mesh Pro and Horizon Tech Falcon--please don't take my word for it, though. Read and watch Youtube reviews. And, as Mordecai noted earlier, Vaporesso GS coils may fit your Smok tank. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Also, I agree with Shawn--you'll have no problems finding coils for your tank, if you like the tank and don't want to part with it yet.
Your mod is no longer being made, true, BUT the coils for the tank (Smok Big Baby Beast) will be around for a loooooong time. Not only from Smok, but from Advken and Vaporesso and A leaf and more...

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Katya, I've seen folks using ekowool without a core and just folding it in half and then pull it through the coil with a wire and then trim it.

Yeah, we did what we could, but since I got my first coil winder (Kuro) and some KGD cotton, I never looked back. I can make coils of any diameter I want and wick them in my sleep now. Well, almost in my sleep. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread