Advice on Temp / Variable Wattage Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caatalyst

Oct 1, 2018
Hello there,

I've been vaping quite a while now. Over the past couple of years I've been the Uwell Crown tanks 1-3 paired with a Innokin Disrupter + D50 battery. I later upgraded to the new version of the Innokin Disrupter 75 watt mod until just recently my e cig was stolen and I'm having trouble finding another as it seems like it has been discontinued.

I'm using this opportunity to invest in a new tank and mod because I was never fully satisfied with any of the crown tanks mainly due to leakage.

After a day of research watching videos and reading reviews I settled on getting the new Innokin Proton mod and I'm pairing that with a big baby beast tank from Smok. I settled on the 0.6 coils as I tended to smoke 0.5 coils at 35-40 watts with the crown 3. I've never been 1 to smoke lower resistance coils as the tanks would just get too hot when upping the wattage to 50+. I also found I saved on juice as the lower coils just pulled so much through.

Now I'm just wondering what folks recommend when it comes to using variable wattage vs temp control. It's a bit of a new area for me and I've seen quite a few people recommend temp control. Seen as the innokin proton has so much to offer including the option of either temp or wattage control I thought I'd give temp control a shot if people recommend it. Can anyone offer me some advice? Has anyone tried temp control using the smok baby beast tank with a 0.6 coil and what's a good temp to work with?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Personally I ONLY use TC now for vaping, I like it that much. However you cannot use just any coil for TC and I do not think that SMOK makes any TC capable coils. However the Eleaf HW-1 SS316 coil will work in your BBB tank and is TC capable but they are 0.3ohm.

For the record, for TC you need coils made out of Nickel, Titanium, or Stainless Steel. Most people seem to prefer SS.

Last edited:

Caatalyst

Oct 1, 2018
Much appreciated thanks. I cannot find any information on what material is used for the smok coils so I guess while I use them up I'll start with wattage and then have a hunt for some TC friendly ones to give ago.

As far as controlling the actual temperature is there anything to be aware of or to watch out for when using this function?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Much appreciated thanks. I cannot find any information on what material is used for the smok coils so I guess while I use them up I'll start with wattage and then have a hunt for some TC friendly ones to give ago.

As far as controlling the actual temperature is there anything to be aware of or to watch out for when using this function?
All the available SMOK coils for the Beast tanks use kanthal wire, which is incompatible with temp control.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Wow, the Crown tank tends to be described as uh, pretty leak proof from most users. What kind of leaking did you get? What did you do to try and fix it? Because, I want to say the Crown original actually DOES have a few TC capable coils, although I could be wrong on that. With the smok tanks you are going to have to look for cross compatible coils (the good news on that is that there are several of them from various manufacturers, and there are lists posted about if you search for them. You may be even better off than using smok coils some of them can be a bit finnicky.

I would look for a SS coil for your first TC coil, just because you CAN vape it in wattage mode, first, and get a sense for how you like the coil (as well as how to set up your TC) and that MAY make things a bit easier for you.

You can also use nickel and titanium but both of them must be vaped in TC mode ONLY as when overheated they can give off nasty byproducts in your vape, and if you go with one of those coil materials, well I'd watch a bunch of video youtubbe reviews to figure out how to set up TC with your particular vape so you can have at it more successfully than with your current vape. Highest safe setting is around 420 F.

Good luck but I'm still kind of curious about the leaking.

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Thanks for this information. Is the Eleaf HW-1 SS316 a good coil for me to use with the BBB? If so i'll grab some of these next

I don't personally have experience with either that tank or that coil. Others have said they are compatible and TC capable though. Just get 1 pack and try it out.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
All the available SMOK coils for the Beast tanks use kanthal wire, which is incompatible with temp control.

It has always bothered me that a company (SMOK isn't the only one either) will sell a mod BOASTING about it's TC capability as a selling point, then pair it with a tank that doesn't even have TC coils available for it. So of course those not in the know buy it, try to use the TC function on the kit they bought, and when it doesn't work, they think TC is junk.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thanks for this information. Is the Eleaf HW-1 SS316 a good coil for me to use with the BBB? If so i'll grab some of these next
Hi and welcome,
If you use the lower ohm coils, you may need to lower your nicotine level.
What level nicotine (mg/ml) are you using currently?
Do you have a local shop close to you?
You will need to purchase at least (2) 20amp or greater batteries for the Proton.
A dedicated external charger is also recommended.

Cheers
I

• Useful

Caatalyst

Oct 1, 2018
Well to be honest it was a while back when I last used the crown 1 tank so I cannot remember my experiences in detail.

I've struggled to identify the cause of the leak for both the crown 2 and crown 3 tanks. I've stripped them both back and cleaned them multiple times but it always ends up with juice leaking out of the air holes. All of the rubber rings were present and secured and it drove me absolutely insane. That said both tanks vaped great - I loved the crown 2 which I know many hated and used that tank for over a year despite the annoying leakage.

Because of my bad look I thought i'd try something new and because I live in the UK it is very hard to get hold of any tank that isn't in mini form due to the regulations that kicked in so I went with the Smok Big Baby after seeing it get a lot of good reviews. If it ends up not been that good I'll look at alternatives. It has become a mine field these days because there are so many new manufacturers or tanks and so many coil variations.

Thanks for all the help guys! Can't wait to get stuck in with the new kit.

Caatalyst

Oct 1, 2018
Hi and welcome,
If you use the lower ohm coils, you may need to lower your nicotine level.
What level nicotine (mg/ml) are you using currently?
Do you have a local shop close to you?
You will need to purchase at least (2) 20amp or greater batteries for the Proton.
A dedicated external charger is also recommended.

Cheers
I

I make my own liquid using heisenberg flavour from vampire vapes. I use about 0.3mg nicotene, probably a little less. I've been reducing the amount of nicotene I use over time. It ends up been about 80/20 VG/PG.

Also the shop I ordered the proton from comes with 2 samsung 3000ma batteries preinstalled.

Thanks for all the advice as well I appreciate it.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You'll like the Proton. Very nice mod with all the features,and easy to navigate. I have a BBB. Haven't used it in a long time but I used the 0.4 ohm Q2 (?) at around 40W and had a nice vape from it. Also never had any leaking issues. I do know some folks have had problems with coil variability and lifespan with Smok, but priming it well and breaking it in by slowly bringing up the wattage worked fine for me. I do remember it took a tank or do to lose the cotton taste, but it was pretty good after that.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
The Eleaf HW-1 SS316 coil fits that atty and can be used in TC. If you are sure you want a Smok tank the tfv4 and tfv4 mini (they take the same coils) have TC coils in addition to the regular wattage coils. Smok also has a TCT atty but I can't find coils for it anymore and it can only be used in TC mode. In addition Smok has a vct and vct pro that have TC coils but I haven't tried those atties so I can't personally vouch for them.
If you're into building you can get the rba for the baby beast. It's supposed to fit the BBB. Then just build the coils with SS wire or other TC compatible wire.
Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Useful

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Wow, the Crown tank tends to be described as uh, pretty leak proof from most users. What kind of leaking did you get? What did you do to try and fix it? Because, I want to say the Crown original actually DOES have a few TC capable coils
Just me, if you had leaking issues with the original Crown you'd be taking a huge step backwards into a deeper puddle with smok tanks.
The original Uwell crown is / was about as leak free as vaping gets.
I agree with the two above posts. I use the original Crown tanks and the only instance when I had leaking was when I left my setup in a hot car. The heat thinned the e-liquid to the point where it leaked a little out of the air holes. User error, not the tank's fault.

I have two standard and two mini Crowns that I use. The oldest is about three years old, and other than the above lone incidence, I've experienced no leaking whatsoever with any of them.

Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank

The original Crown offers 3 stainless steel coils and a Ni200 Nickle coil that can all be used in Temp Control.

• 1.2 ohm Single Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Coil - 10 to 30W
  • 0.5 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W
  • 0.25 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W
  • 0.15 ohm Dual Ni200 Nickel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 400 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit (temp control)
I never bought either the Crown 2 or 3 or the Valarian, so I can't speak of their quality. Why fix what isn't broken?

Last edited:

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
My Uwell Crown 1 with Ni200 Coils paired with a DNA 40/75/200 gives a great TC Vape.

My Freemax Starre Pro and Horizon Arctic Tank both have Ni200 Coils as well and Vape great in TC Mode.
Before I left I was looking for an Original Freemax Starre to buy as some say the Pro version is a bit over-made in some areas.

Have a Uwell D1 I need to try, it’s been sitting in it’s box for over a year lol Got it free pretty much. I don’t have high expectations but am hoping it’s something I will still enjoy Vaping.

Hope you find a good setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread