Advise on flavour combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
South Africa
Hi all,

I'm new to mixing juice. Some advise please.

Looking to start with a couple of fruit flavours with a fresh after taste (almost like menthol without the mint).

Is certain fruit flavours stronger that others, taste wise?

What do i use to 'bind' the fruits, cream or sweet or something else?

Also the fresh effect, do i use ice?

Any advise is welcome.

Reactions: stols001

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Might like to look at the flavor wheel below:
DLG Verlag Shop - Aroma Wheel Poster DIN A1 Sensorik-Poster-A1-englisch
What do i use to 'bind' the fruits, cream or sweet or something else?
Some folks bind and others are happy with the standalone taste. Suggest you experiment to see what you like.
Also the fresh effect, do i use ice?
Might take a look at the WS and Koolada cooling agents.
re:Bull City and ecigexpress.

Reactions: jusu

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
South Africa
Reactions: BrotherBob

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hi,

Ok so I got some flavours and started mixing. it's not a walk in the park more like running blindfold through a forest lol.

I got a lot of fruit flavours, Cotton Candy and Bavarian Cream, it seems like no matter how I mix them there's always an acid taste.

What can I add to get to get rid of it?

Are you using a sweetener?

What percentages are you using?

It's usually better to follow a recipe that others enjoy and have rated, that way you have some kind of an idea of what might be good..

this is a cheesecake recipe:

c43ac96d-f7c5-48c2-9e6c-89809ce01216-jpeg.843489

1% Graham Cracker (TPA)
2% New York Cheesecake (CAP)
3% Yes We Cheesecake (INW)

(INW is Inawera)
(CAP is Capella)
(TPA is The Flavor Apprentice)

That's a simple recipe if you like cheesecake.. the percentage is the percentage of your mix. You can find an ejuice calculator here:

E-Liquid Calculator - Best DIY Vape eJuice Calculator

You can look in the DIY section for more recipes.. recipes are far easier when your new to mixing..

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
South Africa
Are you using a sweetener?

What percentages are you using?

It's usually better to follow a recipe that others enjoy and have rated, that way you have some kind of an idea of what might be good..

this is a cheesecake recipe:

c43ac96d-f7c5-48c2-9e6c-89809ce01216-jpeg.843489

1% Graham Cracker (TPA)
2% New York Cheesecake (CAP)
3% Yes We Cheesecake (INW)

(INW is Inawera)
(CAP is Capella)
(TPA is The Flavor Apprentice)

That's a simple recipe if you like cheesecake.. the percentage is the percentage of your mix. You can find an ejuice calculator here:

E-Liquid Calculator - Best DIY Vape eJuice Calculator

You can look in the DIY section for more recipes.. recipes are far easier when your new to mixing..

Thx, i looked at what is in my favorite commercial juices and brought favours accordingly but didn't take into account the 'secret ingredients' like the sweeteners and enhancers.

It makes sense what you are saying to get a recipe as a starting point and tweak from there.

What flavours/binders/enhancers would you consider to be must haves?

Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thx, i looked at what is in my favorite commercial juices and brought favours accordingly but didn't take into account the 'secret ingredients' like the sweeteners and enhancers.

It makes sense what you are saying to get a recipe as a starting point and tweak from there.

TPA Marshmallow and Capella Supersweet...

Often if a flavor has a sweetness of its own all you'll need to add is some marshmallow, other times you may like a drop or two of Supersweet..

EM is Ethyl Maltol which is what your cotton candy is (10% EM), it has a tendency to mute flavors (which sometimes is appropriate but not always) so it doesn't usually make a good sweetener..

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Also, many fruits require more than one brand of the same flavor.. take strawberry, you might get better results using Strawberry Ripe (TPA) along with a Real Flavors (RF) Strawberry or a Capella (CAP) Sweet strawberry... (Just a for instance)

Read flavor notes, some brands etc. are jammy, others are candy flavor, others are natural fruit.. so sometimes mixing a natural with a jammy and so forth might give you a more desirous result..

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Absolutely.

More than a Few Drops of say Pineapple can Overpower a Fruit Mix. Whereas it can sometimes be Hard to make a Strong Pear or Peach Mix.

What I think you will find the More you do Fruit Recipes is to get a more Retail Taste, you need to use 2 of More flavorings. One as the Base Flavor. And the Others to give it things like "Body" or "Pop" or "Aftertaste".

A pure Cheery recipe might taste kinda Bland. But add a few Drops of Strawberry and a Drop of Pear and it is Great.

Because Very Few things in Foods are Single Flavors. But a Blend of usually Multiple Flavors.

ETA: The Entire Key to doing New DIY Recipes is to keep Detailed and Accurate Notes on EVERTHING you do to a Mix.

That, and I would Never suggest Tweaking a Recipe until it has sat for at Least 3 ~ 5 Days in a Cool Dark Place.

Freshly Mixed Recipes will usually taste different from what it will taste in 3 ~ 5 Days.

So I would Suggest that you Taste a New Recipe when you 1st Mix it. But then wait for 3 ~ 5 Days to taste it again. And then make whatever Adjustments you think are Needed.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hi,

Ok so I got some flavours and started mixing. it's not a walk in the park more like running blindfold through a forest lol.

I got a lot of fruit flavours, Cotton Candy and Bavarian Cream, it seems like no matter how I mix them there's always an acid taste.

What can I add to get to get rid of it?
Inawera cactus or a meringue can help with softening the sharp notes. I find adding a meringue rather than a cream leaves the fruits tasting more as I intended. To make them truly mesh TFA dragon fruit or FA kiwi are my go to's. I'm not a big fan of sweeteners so I use FA pear, TFA honeysuckle, or Cap hibiscus to add a sweet note.

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
South Africa

i
Absolutely.

More than a Few Drops of say Pineapple can Overpower a Fruit Mix. Whereas it can sometimes be Hard to make a Strong Pear or Peach Mix.

What I think you will find the More you do Fruit Recipes is to get a more Retail Taste, you need to use 2 of More flavorings. One as the Base Flavor. And the Others to give it things like "Body" or "Pop" or "Aftertaste".

A pure Cheery recipe might taste kinda Bland. But add a few Drops of Strawberry and a Drop of Pear and it is Great.

Because Very Few things in Foods are Single Flavors. But a Blend of usually Multiple Flavors.

ETA: The Entire Key to doing New DIY Recipes is to keep Detailed and Accurate Notes on EVERTHING you do to a Mix.

That, and I would Never suggest Tweaking a Recipe until it has sat for at Least 3 ~ 5 Days in a Cool Dark Place.

Freshly Mixed Recipes will usually taste different from what it will taste in 3 ~ 5 Days.

So I would Suggest that you Taste a New Recipe when you 1st Mix it. But then wait for 3 ~ 5 Days to taste it again. And then make whatever Adjustments you think are Needed.

thx, feel kinda lost in the search for recipes that'll work.

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
South Africa
Inawera cactus or a meringue can help with softening the sharp notes. I find adding a meringue rather than a cream leaves the fruits tasting more as I intended. To make them truly mesh TFA dragon fruit or FA kiwi are my go to's. I'm not a big fan of sweeteners so I use FA pear, TFA honeysuckle, or Cap hibiscus to add a sweet note.

cool, I'll give it a go.

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
South Africa
What fruits do you have? Please include brand names.

Pear (The Flavour Apprentice)
Kiwi (Flavour West)
Guava (The Flavour Apprentice)
Pineapple (The Flavour Apprentice)
Lychee (The Flavour Apprentice)
Passion Fruit (The Flavour Apprentice)
Black Current (The Flavour Apprentice)

Espresso (The Flavour Apprentice)

Cotton Candy (The Flavour Apprentice)
Bavarian Cream (The Flavour Apprentice)
Smooth [Unsure, writting to small to read]

This is everything I have

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
i came across this 'AAA Magic Mask Flavour (FA)'. Sounds like a good option.
Some have great success with it, I personally haven't found a need for it. If you want to try it try the recipe without it after steeping; if the mix is still harsh add by the drop. Like EM it will mute over time. Honestly time is your greatest ally imo. It is hard to wait when you are new to mixing, believe me I know! As you gain experience you will learn what tricks work for your personal tastes.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
thx, feel kinda lost in the search for recipes that'll work.

Being Lost is OK. It just means you Haven't started yet.

If you are Lost after 2 or 3 Months of doing DIY, that's when we will Start to Worry.

:)

All joking aside...

Searching for Recipes is Fine. But there is No Guarantee that what someone Else Likes is what You will Like. So I tell people Don't get too Hung Up on finding a Recipe. Work More to what you think you would Like.

Also, Many Food Flavorings are just that, Flavorings. And are meant to go in a Recipe that uses Sugar as a Sweetener.

So (to Me) if you are going to do Fruit Recipes, you Have to Have a Sweetener. Cookies or Candy can be Yummy. But think what they would taste like if you Didn't put any Sugar in them?

I like to use this as a Sweetener...

Flavor Apprentice - Sweetener - 30mL

Just know that a Little goes a Long Way. That, and you Don't Need to let this sit for 3 ~ 5 Days. So if a Mix is Not sweet enough, just add 1 or 2 Drops to a 30ml Mix, Shake and Vape.

BTW - If you do a Order from One Stop DIY, be sure to get a Bottle of this...

One Stop Flavors - Blue Raspberry Slush - 30mL

It is a Fantastic Flavor. And one that can be used as a Stand Alone. So it is Nice to Start on.

This is also a Good Stand Alone if you like Hawaiian Punch...

Flavor Apprentice - Hawaiian Drink - 30mL

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Pear (The Flavour Apprentice)
Kiwi (Flavour West)
Guava (The Flavour Apprentice)
Pineapple (The Flavour Apprentice)
Lychee (The Flavour Apprentice)
Passion Fruit (The Flavour Apprentice)
Black Current (The Flavour Apprentice)

Espresso (The Flavour Apprentice)

Cotton Candy (The Flavour Apprentice)
Bavarian Cream (The Flavour Apprentice)
Smooth [Unsure, writting to small to read]

This is everything I have
Well the TFA pear is the only one of those I have; it is a good pear but dry, I like pairing it with FA pear for a well rounded pear; the FA adds a juiciness and light sweetness. WF starfruit is also great to boost pear or apple. MB (molinberry) shape up pear is good too. I pif'd the TFA pineapple, can't remember why honestly. My favorite pineapples are INW, SC (super concentrate), FLV (flavorah), and HS (hangsen).

I would pair the black currant & pear, if a bit harsh add 0.5 of the lychee.
The pineapple, guava, passion fruit, and kiwi should make a nice tropical mix. I can't recommend % as I don't have those brands. Might try the pear, guava, and bavarian. If it's a bit bland add in the black currant for a deeper taste or the pineapple to brighten. Keep in mind using flavors as an additive can be effective using as low as 0.2-0.5%.

Ellick_

Sep 26, 2019
South Africa
Well the TFA pear is the only one of those I have; it is a good pear but dry, I like pairing it with FA pear for a well rounded pear; the FA adds a juiciness and light sweetness. WF starfruit is also great to boost pear or apple. MB (molinberry) shape up pear is good too. I pif'd the TFA pineapple, can't remember why honestly. My favorite pineapples are INW, SC (super concentrate), FLV (flavorah), and HS (hangsen).

I would pair the black currant & pear, if a bit harsh add 0.5 of the lychee.
The pineapple, guava, passion fruit, and kiwi should make a nice tropical mix. I can't recommend % as I don't have those brands. Might try the pear, guava, and bavarian. If it's a bit bland add in the black currant for a deeper taste or the pineapple to brighten. Keep in mind using flavors as an additive can be effective using as low as 0.2-0.5%.

Great, thx a mil. This sounds like a good reference point. A lot of times % feels like a guessing game but I've noticed it's true that less is more.

I'm shaking and vaping atm :/ Think I'll buy juice tomorrow and let mixes steep for ahwile. Problem is I vape 20/30 ml a day.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Great, thx a mil. This sounds like a good reference point. A lot of times % feels like a guessing game but I've noticed it's true that less is more.

I'm shaking and vaping atm :/ Think I'll buy juice tomorrow and let mixes steep for ahwile. Problem is I vape 20/30 ml a day.
Nothing wrong with snv, just hold back 10ml of everything to taste test at 2, 3, and 4 weeks to judge for fade or increased strength. Another thing to keep in mind is some flavors seem to completely fade but make a surprising comeback in a week or two. This is what makes sft (single flavor test) especially important at first. I keep my sft up to 3 months since I like to mix ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread