Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I have 4 of these smelly mods.
The smell of the mod permeates the taste of the juice on inhale.
Ive given one a soapy wash and sat it out for a few weeks now but the smell of the mod is still coming through the inhale and taste of the juice Im vaping pretty clearly.
It is the mods, not the juice. I have many other mods to compare. The vape tastes like the mod smells, y'knowwhatImean?

How long does it take for the stink to go away :) Or is there something I can do to destink it?

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
Ive given one a soapy wash and sat it out for a few weeks now but the smell of the mod is still coming through the inhale and taste of the juice Im vaping pretty clearly.
It is the mods, not the juice. I have many other mods to compare. The vape tastes like the mod smells, y'knowwhatImean?

How long does it take for the stink to go away :) Or is there something I can do to destink it?

I don't think mine smell? Best way to destinkify things is put them in a sealed bag with activated charcoal (sold for fish tanks). A wipe down with white vinegar sometimes works, but since you've already washed it, and that didn't work, maybe not.

Reactions: Jebbn

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
gave what exactly a wash? The mod? Your tank?
It is the mods, not the juice.
what about the atty?
I have many other mods to compare. The vape tastes like the mod smells, y'knowwhatImean?
no. I quite specifically don’t. What kind of smell?
Assumptive.
1. This is the first I’ve heard of anyone even implying there was some sort of odor. No one else has made this complaint at all that I know of at all. Ever. Why are you assuming that everyone has this issue?
2. The mod doesn’t touch the juice at all. At most it sits nearby it. There isn’t even much air travel between a mod and the juice inside it. I could see air passing by the mod and into the air inlet hole on inhale but it would have to be a really heavy odor. have you removed the atty from the mod? Used different attys?
3. You don’t describe this smell at all. You just assume that it is something on every instance of the solo. What kind of odor is it? Do your mods come from separate orders? Separate resellers?
4. You’re an ultra member. You have other devices. Attys have not been mentioned at all in this post. It sort of sounds like you’re talking about solo kits where people assume the atty and the mod are a single thing. Your listed experience would imply this is not the case though. Odors, especially persistent ones like you describe, have to come from something. You’ve washed one (of 4 only?) but you seem to be claiming there was no reduction. The only thing I can think this might be is some sort of outgassing of some adhesive or material the atty is made out of. It should be happening to other people besides yourself then though.

• Agree
Reactions: Opinionated

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
gave what exactly a wash? The mod? Your tank? what about the atty? no. I quite specifically don’t. What kind of smell?
Assumptive.
1. This is the first I’ve heard of anyone even implying there was some sort of odor. No one else has made this complaint at all that I know of at all. Ever. Why are you assuming that everyone has this issue?
2. The mod doesn’t touch the juice at all. At most it sits nearby it. There isn’t even much air travel between a mod and the juice inside it. I could see air passing by the mod and into the air inlet hole on inhale but it would have to be a really heavy odor. have you removed the atty from the mod? Used different attys?
3. You don’t describe this smell at all. You just assume that it is something on every instance of the solo. What kind of odor is it? Do your mods come from separate orders? Separate resellers?
4. You’re an ultra member. You have other devices. Attys have not been mentioned at all in this post. It sort of sounds like you’re talking about solo kits where people assume the atty and the mod are a single thing. Your listed experience would imply this is not the case though. Odors, especially persistent ones like you describe, have to come from something. You’ve washed one (of 4 only?) but you seem to be claiming there was no reduction. The only thing I can think this might be is some sort of outgassing of some adhesive or material the atty is made out of. It should be happening to other people besides yourself then though.
LOL! I didnt think that it would be so hard to understand!!! :D

I will try and be brief here.

The Aegis Solo is a mod. I have 4 of them. They stink. I washed one of them down with dish soap and it has been sitting out of its packaging for 2 weeks. It still stinks.
When I inhale through my atty, any atty I have, I have many, I get the odour of the Aegis Solo mod it is sitting on.
Its a rubbery, chemically, glueish type odour.

Last edited:

Tinker Ray

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I wonder if the smell is from contact cement used to bond the leather grip to the case. I'm reminded of Pliobond, an industrial contact cement which looks like rubber cement but very strong and really stinky. If that's the case the glue may not have fully cured. My guess is the best fix is to set the mod out in open air for quite a long time until the adhesive fully cures and stops outgassing. Just a guess, however

Reactions: Iron Molly

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State

The Aegis Solo is a mod. I have 4 of them. They stink. I washed one of them down with dish soap and it has been sitting out of its packaging for 2 weeks. It still stinks.
When I inhale through my atty, any atty I have, I have many, I get the odour of the Aegis Solo mod it is sitting on.

I bought 4 total 2 for me and 2 for my son. Neither one of has had any smell. My wife can smell anything and I just let her give them the sniff test and she said nothing. I haven't a clue what you are smelling.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
I wonder if the smell is from contact cement used to bond the leather grip to the case. I'm reminded of Pliobond, an industrial contact cement which looks like rubber cement but very strong and really stinky. If that's the case the glue may not have fully cured. My guess is the best fix is to set the mod out in open air for quite a long time until the adhesive fully cures and stops outgassing. Just a guess, however
Yeah. I just did a bit of a google search and found a few people have had a similar problem with Aegis mods, not just solo's. Just leave them out until they dont smell seems to be the answer.

Heres one I found in an ECF search.
Geekvape Aegis Legend, A Must-Have Mod in 2018

• Agree
Reactions: Blitzdonlife

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Authenticity verified.
I had a similar issue with some Wismec Luxotics I bought a couple of years ago. I tracked it down to the packaging foam. Left the out of their boxes in fresh air for a few days and it went away.
Its true that some people react very strongly to the smell of cetain chemical compunds that others just don't notice. Good luck with a solution

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas

The heavy plastic smell it had out of the box went away on mine after less than a day. I just sniffed (lol) my mod now, yep no plastic smell.

• Useful
Reactions: Jebbn

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I didn’t think I did misunderstand at all. Still don’t.

The Aegis Solo is a mod.
I know what a mod is. Sometimes people say mod when they mean kit. You didn’t speak of attys at all so it sounded a bit like that was what you might be saying. Still haven’t seen word one about attys. Haven’t read all the way through this yet though.
I have 4 of them.
yes. You said that. Were they all bought at the same time from the same place or was it separate?
They stink.
yes. You said that too. Stinks like what? Feces? Rotten fruit? Chemicals? Feet? “Stinks” is not specific. It’s like the least specific possible word.
I washed one of them down with dish soap and it has been sitting out of its packaging for 2 weeks. It still stinks.
implying it’s not some sort of external substance but not confirming it. Highest likelyhood imho is outgassing from materials it’s made of. Adhesives are sort of famous for doing this
When I inhale through my atty, any atty I have, I have many,
so they ARE mod only and you have tried different attys. That’s useful to figuring out the problem.
I get the odour of the Aegis Solo mod it is sitting on.
Aha! A chemical smell! This is also useful. So very possibly an adhesive. It’s not impossible for chemical outgassing to take months to disperse. It can occasionally be dangerous too. Does it smell like brand new silicone? Silicones have solvents and softeners in them sometimes. I just bought a brand new legend for vaping day and gave it a good whiff specifically because of this thread. There was some vague light odor of silicone but not much.

One problem may be you could possibly just have a really really good sense of smell and what you are smelling is what other buyers are smelling it’s merely that you can notice it while others can’t. Unlikely but not totally impossible.

Another issue is IF they all came from the same lot (so far undetermined) that lot may have used a bad adhesive or too much adhesive. This is something GeekVape may need to be made aware of.

I don’t have anything to do with GeekVape other than being a user of some of their stuff. A post in the GeekVape company thread might yield more.

If they’ve got an adhesive or other outgassing issue caused by some sort of change in their manufacturing it could be a safety issue. There are many chemicals that are unsafe to breathe in even small amounts.

Materials possibly at fault could be the silicone armor, the plastics, or an adhesive used somewhere.

Reactions: Blitzdonlife

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
I didn’t think I did misunderstand at all. Still don’t. I know what a mod is. Sometimes people say mod when they mean kit. You didn’t speak of attys at all so it sounded a bit like that was what you might be saying. Still haven’t seen word one about attys. Haven’t read all the way through this yet though. yes. You said that. Were they all bought at the same time from the same place or was it separate? yes. You said that too. Stinks like what? Feces? Rotten fruit? Chemicals? Feet? “Stinks” is not specific. It’s like the least specific possible word. implying it’s not some sort of external substance but not confirming it. Highest likelyhood imho is outgassing from materials it’s made of. Adhesives are sort of famous for doing this so they ARE mod only and you have tried different attys. That’s useful to figuring out the problem.
Aha! A chemical smell! This is also useful. So very possibly an adhesive. It’s not impossible for chemical outgassing to take months to disperse. It can occasionally be dangerous too. Does it smell like brand new silicone? Silicones have solvents and softeners in them sometimes. I just bought a brand new legend for vaping day and gave it a good whiff specifically because of this thread. There was some vague light odor of silicone but not much.

One problem may be you could possibly just have a really really good sense of smell and what you are smelling is what other buyers are smelling it’s merely that you can notice it while others can’t. Unlikely but not totally impossible.

Another issue is IF they all came from the same lot (so far undetermined) that lot may have used a bad adhesive or too much adhesive. This is something GeekVape may need to be made aware of.

I don’t have anything to do with GeekVape other than being a user of some of their stuff. A post in the GeekVape company thread might yield more.

If they’ve got an adhesive or other outgassing issue caused by some sort of change in their manufacturing it could be a safety issue. There are many chemicals that are unsafe to breathe in even small amounts.

Materials possibly at fault could be the silicone armor, the plastics, or an adhesive used somewhere.
Its been solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread