Aegis solo, stinks. Problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I threw the one I was using in a sink full of soapy water.
Dried it of.
It smelled like sparkling lemon with an overtone of rubber.
At this stage I felt confident I was on the right track and came back to ecf and said "its been solved"

tbh, I also said it was solved because, my god! I didnt think it would be so difficult to ask such a basic question and I just wanted an out.

Then I went back and stuck it in a tupperware container and shook a box of bicarb soda over it.
I gotta be honest, it looked cool, all desert worn and dusty.
I left it in the tupperware container over night and all that was left the next morning as far as odour went was the residual scent of lemon detergent and the slightest of notes of industrial rubber.
The other three are out in the garage out of their packaging on a bench. I wiped them down with a strong dose of lemon detergent. All the packaging is in the rubbish bin.
The three in the shed have managed to change the air of the corner they inhabit but I feel like it is diminishing.

Next question:
Any ideas how to get the smell of lemon detergent off a mod?

Last edited:
Reactions: Izan

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I threw the one I was using in a sink full of soapy water.
Dried it of.
It smelled like sparkling lemon with an overtone of rubber.
At this stage I felt confident I was on the right track and came back to ecf and said "its been solved"

tbh, I also said it was solved because, my god! I didnt think it would be so difficult to ask such a basic question and I just wanted an out.

Then I went back and stuck it in a tupperware container and shook a box of bicarb soda over it.
I gotta be honest, it looked cool, all desert worn and dusty.
I left it in the tupperware container over night and all that was left the next morning as far as odour went was the residual scent of lemon detergent and the slightest of notes of industrial rubber.
The other three are out in the garage out of their packaging on a bench. I wiped them down with a strong dose of lemon detergent. All the packaging is in the rubbish bin.
The three in the shed have managed to change the air of the corner they inhabit but I fell like it is diminishing.

Next question:
Any ideas how to get the smell of lemon detergent off a mod?
I assumed you did a return. If it’s outgassing the smell may come back

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I assumed you did a return. If it’s outgassing the smell may come back
Ive had a few electric drum sets. They have rubber pads and the smell is similar to these mods.
The drum sets if left in a room could stink out the room so that it was really unpleasant to be in.
The only thing that worked after trying all kinds of industrial stench removers was bicarb soda, a bit of vinegar and time.

Reactions: Iron Molly

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Ive had a few electric drum sets. They have rubber pads and the smell is similar to these mods.
The drum sets if left in a room could stink out the room so that it was really unpleasant to be in.
The only thing that worked after trying all kinds of industrial stench removers was bicarb soda, a bit of vinegar and time.
Ah. So a powerful nose then. Not a manufacturing issue then likely. You were probably just smelling the silicone of the shock armor.

UPDATE: I apparently accidentally conflated you and @jandrew btw in another thread.

Reactions: Jebbn

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I was going to suggest it was the leather. Years ago a friend bought a new Volvo. I could hardly stand to ride in it. Smell was awful and I found out later it was the leather seats. It didn't seem to bother her and I didn't notice it with other vehicles, just that Volvo. I have ridden in a few since then, including older models and yep, smell is there. I am a super snifter though so there is that. I can smell odors that no one else can.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread