Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
So this has happened to me twice now. I've over used a battery. Then, when I put it on the charger, it says fully charged. It won't charge because it says fully charged. Then if I leave it on the charger for an hour or so, take it off, then put it back on, it charges. This has only happened twice but it was the same for both batteries. Is it safe to recharge these batteries?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
So this has happened to me twice now. I've over used a battery. Then, when I put it on the charger, it says fully charged. It won't charge because it says fully charged. Then if I leave it on the charger for an hour or so, take it off, then put it back on, it charges. This has only happened twice but it was the same for both batteries. Is it safe to recharge these batteries?

A couple of questions. How low did you take the voltage when you over discharged? What charger are you using?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
What charger?

Both Pila and Xtar chargers know how to handle under voltage batteries. If a protection circuit trip or other problem isn't detected they will apply a very low current to the battery until it gets back up above 2.5 volts. (Not completely sure if it's 2.5 volts without looking it up.) If they can get the battery back up to voltage - safely - they automatically start a normal charge cycle. No removal/reinsertion of the battery required.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Its a cheap china charger. I dont own a good charger and probably wont have one anytime soon. But this cheap charger seems to have known what to do? I didn't test the battery when it was discharged because I dont own a tester. I tried to test it on my provari and it was so drained that my provari wouldn't even tell me the voltage. I'm guessing it was around 3.2v because I couldn't of let it get down further than that.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
You got a Prothingy and a $10.00 charger to go with? Do yourself a big favor and get at least an Xtar WPII 2 for twenty bucks. You just missed out on the sale on RTD Vapor but it's still a great charger at that price. Stay away from the Nitecore crap - a fast search on ECF on Nitecore will show you why.

I honesty don't know what your charger is doing. Some of them - like (blank)Fires - continue to apply more current than they should when a charge cycle is complete and the battery is on "standby". If you had to remove it and reinsert it for the battery charger to report a change in status - probably not doing what a Pila or Xtar does.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
You got a Prothingy and a $10.00 charger to go with? Do yourself a big favor and get at least an Xtar WPII 2 for twenty bucks. You just missed out on the sale on RTD Vapor but it's still a great charger at that price. Stay away from the Nitecore crap - a fast search on ECF on Nitecore will show you why.

I honesty don't know what your charger is doing. Some of them - like (blank)Fires - continue to apply more current than they should when a charge cycle is complete and the battery is on "standby". If you had to remove it and reinsert it for the battery charger to report a change in status - probably not doing what a Pila or Xtar does.

I have a Nitecore 4bay charger and it works great. Also searched for issues and came up with this thread and one other. Not sure what problems you are talking about. The thing is a champ so far.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Its a cheap china charger. I don't own a good charger and probably wont have one anytime soon. But this cheap charger seems to have known what to do? I didn't test the battery when it was discharged because I dont own a tester. I tried to test it on my provari and it was so drained that my provari wouldn't even tell me the voltage. I'm guessing it was around 3.2v because I couldn't of let it get down further than that.

Gotcha. Well, if the battery voltage went below about 2.7 I believe it would have needed a very low charge for a while to get it back above that. Below about 2.5 V and they are toast. Wherever your batteries ended up the charger handled them successfully. Each time this happens the batts are stressed and damaged somewhat. Life is lost and internal resistance probably goes up some making them a little less safe. IMO, unless you are pushing these batteries with very low resistance coils (close to their power ratings), it's safe to continue to use them. If they ever warm up during charge or use, toss them.

Once discharge reaches about 3.7 volts, the lower the voltage gets the faster the voltage drops. So, if it takes 3 hours to go from 3.7 volts to 3.6, it may take something like 1 hour to go to 3.5 volts, 30 minutes to go to 3.4, 15 minutes to go to 3.3, etc. This makes it really hard to take batteries out for recharge at say 3 volts. I try to pull my batts at 3.7 to 3.6, but have gone down to a bit below 2.7 a couple of times. My Xtar WP2 charger handled that just fine and those batteries are still powering my mechanical mods.

I do use a $10 digital multi meter. I would feel lost without it. I recommend this for anyone using mechanical mods. The ability to check the voltage of batteries and the ohms of coils without using a PV is extremely handy IMO.

HTH a bit and best of luck with it!

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I have a Nitecore 4bay charger and it works great. Also searched for issues and came up with this thread and one other. Not sure what problems you are talking about. The thing is a champ so far.

Just because you were lucky and got a good one doesn't mean the QA and QC of these chargers is up to snuff. Hey the original Trustfire TR001 charger was deemed a good charger in its day, not so in subsequent years, to the point that they couldn't and shouldn't be trusted.

What I find amusing at times is to see money spent on high end mods (at times ridiculous amounts) yet the owner doesn't have a decent charger, a DMM or even worst skimps on acquiring good batteries. It just simply blows my mind.

To reply to OP,s comment a quick check on a voltage tester (1 function of a DMM) would have told him where the battery voltage was at instead of playing guessing games as to where or what is/was happening throughout the mediocre troubleshooting of the problem. <--- no offence intended but we see this day in and day out. Safety fist! :)

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas

And if you actually read those posts you'll discover those chargers were bought off FastTech, I was one of the one that went through the counterfeit batts and chargers from DealExtreme. FastTech is just like DealExtreme, a group of conterfeiters started a site and sell the cheapest crap they can build with another companies name on it and the original company catches the flak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread