AGA Hydra Atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoncqb

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2011
Louisville Ky
I will be getting another Tiamat for sure also Pounder they are great. Dsy5 I always liked the silica wick, I had been using ce2 type wicks for a very long time and of course the silica is in the bottom of cartomizers also. I swapped to SS mesh because of the fear of inhaling the fiberglass and you can't help from getting strings of it on you when you rebuild with it. I might be paranoid and I probably am over careful but I worry about possibly getting mesothelioma or something from overexposure do to inhaling it. Take with a grain of salt I have no evidence at all silica is harmful, just a gut reaction.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
I might be paranoid and I probably am over careful but I worry about possibly getting mesothelioma or something from overexposure do to inhaling it. Take with a grain of salt I have no evidence at all silica is harmful, just a gut reaction.

I can understand you're concern. I use 3mm Silica rope and never unravel it. I heat and twist the ends to remove any strays before rewicking. I don't hate the ss mesh - I just find it a bit overpowering and a real battery killer. I still have 2 atomizers coiled up with the ss and swap between them and the Silica ones. I can't really say one or the other is a clear winner - both have their own unique benefits and faults; I think it will be a while before I decide whether I choose one over the other (or go with both).

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
I will be getting another Tiamat for sure also Pounder they are great. Dsy5 I always liked the silica wick, I had been using ce2 type wicks for a very long time and of course the silica is in the bottom of cartomizers also. I swapped to SS mesh because of the fear of inhaling the fiberglass and you can't help from getting strings of it on you when you rebuild with it. I might be paranoid and I probably am over careful but I worry about possibly getting mesothelioma or something from overexposure do to inhaling it. Take with a grain of salt I have no evidence at all silica is harmful, just a gut reaction.
Same hear always used silica until out of being curious i brought out my jewelers eyepiece to look at things.
I tried to capture what i saw with that eyepiece with my camera but its hard to see most of it here in these pictures a few shards of silica can be seem in tank and inside drip tip.
For me i gone back to mesh like i used to use back in the day when i had my scubagenv3 and used to make U shape mesh wicks.
Look carefully you can see a few pieces but the camera did not do a good job.
dieseler-albums-emotions-2-picture149291-picture-043-large.jpg

dieseler-albums-emotions-2-picture149292-picture-046-large.jpg

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Pleasant surprise when I arrived home from work - my glass tanks are in! Very fast shipping. The DID tank fits perfectly. And the AGA-T tank does also. Thanks to IBTanked and OCD!

For anyone interested in the dimensions for the Tiamat tank, I ordered the custom cut 20mm diameter tubing with 2.5mm wall thickness. I had it cut to 23mm in length and it is a perfect fit. No need for beveling with the Tiamat.

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
Pleasant surprise when I arrived home from work - my glass tanks are in! Very fast shipping. The DID tank fits perfectly. And the AGA-T tank does also. Thanks to IBTanked and OCD!

For anyone interested in the dimensions for the Tiamat tank, I ordered the custom cut 20mm diameter tubing with 2.5mm wall thickness. I had it cut to 23mm in length and it is a perfect fit. No need for beveling with the Tiamat.

Very nice! I just got my tiamat in today. I have been having some problems with my cotton wicks on my EOD, they are fantastic for a couple of ml and then I keep burning the top of the wick somehow. So I tried 3mm silica and 32g a-1 kanthal in a U shape setup for first build. It's going pretty well. Flavor is a bit muted but it's keeping up with chain vaping while I break it in. I thought the stock draw was super tight as well so opened it up to 1.2mm which seems a touch too airy but close enough to just right not to really cause a problem.

It is a big sucker isn't it?

Last edited:

Aoi~

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Sunny So. Cal

I probably missed this at OCD's website, but did you say you find a glass tank for AGA-T (Hydra on DV)? Sorry if I misunderstood.

Brealistic0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2012
Queens NYC
I probably missed this at OCD's website, but did you say you find a glass tank for AGA-T (Hydra on DV)? Sorry if I misunderstood.

ibtanked custom-cut-tubes/16mm-20mm/20-0mm-x-2-5mm he claims that it fits the aga-t timat

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
I am seriously considering getting the Hydra, I all ready have a couple of the Griffins. I like how it works, but I really want a stainless steel genesis. Can anyone that has the Hydra confirm that it is all stainless? One of my Griffins is already kinda stripped out on the negative screw hole. I believe it's due to just being cheap chrome plated brass.

Also, has anyone got a glass tank for the Hydra from ibtanked or anywhere else? If so, can you share the dimensions?

TIA

Swarley

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Nor Cal
I am seriously considering getting the Hydra, I all ready have a couple of the Griffins. I like how it works, but I really want a stainless steel genesis. Can anyone that has the Hydra confirm that it is all stainless? One of my Griffins is already kinda stripped out on the negative screw hole. I believe it's due to just being cheap chrome plated brass.

Also, has anyone got a glass tank for the Hydra from ibtanked or anywhere else? If so, can you share the dimensions?

TIA

I can confirm that the Hydra is not all SS :( The tank sleeve and top cap aren't:( You can't get a glass tank for a Hydra since the tank section has threading and screws into the tank sleeve portion:(

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
Thanks for the reply...

I can confirm that the Hydra is not all SS :( The tank sleeve and top cap aren't:(

If the cap and tank sleeve are not stainless steel...what's the point?

You can't get a glass tank for a Hydra since the tank section has threading and screws into the tank sleeve portion:(

That's kind of a deal breaker for me...I guess I'll wait and see what other options come available. I'm cheap and don't want to spend $150 on one of the premium genesis atomizers that you have to get on someone's super secret waiting list for, and then wait 6 months till they finally get around to making more...

I would definitely spend $50 (or maybe a little more) on a good quality Chinese genesis if it was all stainless steel and decently machined. And had a clear (preferably Pyrex) tank.

Last edited:

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York

You need to go to the section that specifies 20 -0mm-x-2-5mm-Custom Cut Tubes. The size I specified is for the AGA-T only - lhe Hydra has a threaded polycarbonate or acrylic tank. I suppose there is a way to put threads in glass; jars and bottles have threads, but those threads are male, Hydra needs to be female. I don't know if there is a method to do that, especially when most tanks are cut from a length of pyrex tubing.

Last edited:

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
That's kind of a deal breaker for me...I guess I'll wait and see what other options come available. I'm cheap and don't want to spend $150 on one of the premium genesis atomizers that you have to get on someone's super secret waiting list for, and then wait 6 months till they finally get around to making more...

I would definitely spend $50 (or maybe a little more) on a good quality Chinese genesis if it was all stainless steel and decently machined. And had a clear (preferably Pyrex) tank.

You could always get the AGA Tiamat...

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Placed another order for the Griffin glass tank and another Tiamat tank (going to get another Tiamat!) - I was very impressed with the quality of both tanks. IBTanked was very fast with the turn-around; I figure they have the DUD tanks pre-made, maybe the Tiamat ones also, I don't know (but if they made the Tiamat tank to order, it was quick).

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
You could always get the AGA Tiamat...

That thing looks like it weighs 2 pounds. To see it next to the Griffin and Hydra, it's way too big. And it still only holds about the same amount of liquid. Ideally, I'd like a SS Griffin. I could probably get a DID from Greece, and pay around $120, but like I said...I'm cheap.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Very nice! I just got my tiamat in today. I have been having some problems with my cotton wicks on my EOD, they are fantastic for a couple of ml and then I keep burning the top of the wick somehow. So I tried 3mm silica and 32g a-1 kanthal in a U shape setup for first build. It's going pretty well. Flavor is a bit muted but it's keeping up with chain vaping while I break it in. I thought the stock draw was super tight as well so opened it up to 1.2mm which seems a touch too airy but close enough to just right not to really cause a problem.

It is a big sucker isn't it?

Yeah, it is big. I am using my silca wick vertically - I haven't tried a u-shaped one yet. I get that burned look at the top of my silica wicks, too, but when I clean them (soaking in water, drying, then dry burning) they return to that white color again.

I think that the burnt look might be coming from all the sputtering that goes on with the Genesis atomizers in general. A lot of carmelization/carbonizing of the juice. But at least with silica or cotton, you don't get the whole tank of juice turning brown like with the ss mesh. That is another of my pet peeves with ss mesh.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
That thing looks like it weighs 2 pounds. To see it next to the Griffin and Hydra, it's way too big. And it still only holds about the same amount of liquid. Ideally, I'd like a SS Griffin. I could probably get a DID from Greece, and pay around $120, but like I said...I'm cheap.

Yeah, but you could get about 2 1/2 kilos of them for the price of a 50 gm DID!:D

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
I can confirm that the Hydra is not all SS :( The tank sleeve and top cap aren't:( You can't get a glass tank for a Hydra since the tank section has threading and screws into the tank sleeve portion:(

If the cap is not stainless steel then what is it? It certainly isn't chrome plated metal - I drilled the cap airhole out and it's the same metal throughout - I can't say about the tank. How did you confirm this?

Swarley

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Nor Cal
If the cap is not stainless steel then what is it? It certainly isn't chrome plated metal - I drilled the cap airhole out and it's the same metal throughout - I can't say about the tank. How did you confirm this?

I shouldn't have said confirm. But what I did was just the simple magnet test to see if it stuck to all the parts separately. I know this isn't conclusive at all but it can give you a good indication of what the material may be. Please feel free to dispute this, I'm no doctor I just used to watch Doogie Houser MD lol;)

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
I shouldn't have said confirm. But what I did was just the simple magnet test to see if it stuck to all the parts separately. I know this isn't conclusive at all but it can give you a good indication of what the material may be. Please feel free to dispute this, I'm no doctor I just used to watch Doogie Houser MD lol;)

Stainless steel can be both non-magnetic and mildly magnetic, it depends on the amounts of carbon, nickel and chromium added. Besides it is also Chinese stainless steel - who knows the ratio of alloys used in their process. It is advertised as stainless and I have to agree that it is stainless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread