Status
Not open for further replies.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
If the cap and tank sleeve are not stainless steel...what's the point?

And had a clear (preferably Pyrex) tank.

See the post above on whether it is stainleess or not. I would hope that acrylic or polycarbonate tanks will be available for the Hydra shortly, but forget about Pyrex - it needs to be threaded on the inside ends. The threading appears to be M18 x 1.5mm (from my own crude measurements), I'm going to see if I can find some appropriately sized tubing.

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
See the post above on whether it is stainleess or not. I would hope that acrylic or polycarbonate tanks will be available for the Hydra shortly, but forget about Pyrex - it needs to be threaded on the inside ends. The threading appears to be M18 x 1.5mm (from my own crude measurements), I'm going to see if I can find some appropriately sized tubing.

Thanks...I may look into one of these if/when a clear tank is available. If you look at alibaba, there appears to be quite a few more genesis attys out there. I may just wait and see what others become available. I really like the size of the Griffin/DID clone (it fits perfectly on my slant top 18350 P+)...maybe we'll get a stainless steel version soon...

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Thanks...I may look into one of these if/when a clear tank is available. If you look at alibaba, there appears to be quite a few more genesis attys out there. I may just wait and see what others become available. I really like the size of the Griffin/DID clone (it fits perfectly on my slant top 18350 P+)...maybe we'll get a stainless steel version soon...

Yes, the size is just about right on the Griffin - good on most any size battery, Ego and above. I'm hoping for a stainless version, also; just need more time (and probably money).

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I can confirm that the Hydra is not all SS :( The tank sleeve and top cap aren't:( You can't get a glass tank for a Hydra since the tank section has threading and screws into the tank sleeve portion:(

I just drilled out the air hole on 3 Hydra top caps this morning. I can confirm that it's the same metal all the way through. It's not plated brass. It's not magnetic, it's too heavy to be aluminum. It's stainless. I have no way to check the tank sleeve, but it also is non magnetic, and by all appearance, it appears to be the same material as the top cap.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
I just drilled out the air hole on 3 Hydra top caps this morning. I can confirm that it's the same metal all the way through. It's not plated brass. It's not magnetic, it's too heavy to be aluminum. It's stainless. I have no way to check the tank sleeve, but it also is non magnetic, and by all appearance, it appears to be the same material as the top cap.

I concur. No signs of plating on tank threads, either.

pounder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2011
tucson,az
I was told (and sold as) that the Hydra is all stainless steel, if someone can actually confirm that it isn't I'd like to know, it looks and feels like it is to me, but I am not a metallurgist or anything.
Cant speak for anyone else,but the first thing i did was sand and polish the the top cap,topand bottom plates and the tank body all are stainless steel. I used to be a metal polisher and know stainless steel when i sand and polish it.The hydra i got from Eric is stainless steel.

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Cant speak for anyone else,but the first thing i did was sand and polish the the top cap,topand bottom plates and the tank body all are stainless steel. I used to be a metal polisher and know stainless steel when i sand and polish it.The hydra i got from Eric is stainless steel.

thanks for clarifying for me :) :)

pounder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2011
tucson,az
thanks for clarifying for me :) :)
Not a prob. Eric.Thanks for being one of the first to bring the Hydra and Tiamat to the vapeing community,you have saved me a lot of money. I have 1 Hydra and 2 Ttamats and am still 40 to 60 dollars less than i would have spent on 1of the very hard to get Zens,AC9 or DIDS.By the way all 3 of these are putting out tons of vapor and flavor. If the expensive hard to get R.A.T'S put out any more vapor than these i would be in a vapeing coma.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York

I did the same thing on mine. Since you were a metal polisher, what speed should the polishing wheel be at for stainless. I have it on a regular grinding pedestal and I think it may be spinning too fast for stainless - I don't know. Maybe I should put the wheel in my drill press and lower the rpm? I use a stainless polishing compound and get a good polish, but it becomes extremely hot while burnishing.

pounder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2011
tucson,az
I did the same thing on mine. Since you were a metal polisher, what speed should the polishing wheel be at for stainless. I have it on a regular grinding pedestal and I think it may be spinning too fast for stainless - I don't know. Maybe I should put the wheel in my drill press and lower the rpm? I use a stainless polishing compound and get a good polish, but it becomes extremely hot while burnishing.
Your bench grinder should be fine.I finish mine off with jewlers rudge on a hard cloth polishing wheel. looks like a mirror when your finished. Good luck dsy5.

Barto

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2011
Kapetown
Your bench grinder should be fine.I finish mine off with jewlers rudge on a hard cloth polishing wheel. looks like a mirror when your finished. Good luck dsy5.
glare.gif
Those are some great tips :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread