aga t 2 - achieving higher resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzlyshaun

Apr 10, 2013
oklahoma
i have a tesla that will only work with devices 1.5 ohm and higher and i just received as a gift an aga t2 , 500 ss mesh, and 28 gauge kanthal, new to rba's but can mae a wick and coilfine just cant achieve a high enough ohm to use it? is there away to get it above 1.2( the highest ive achieved) so i can use this without buying a different mod?

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I am sure someone more knowledgeable will jump in and give specifics.

From the reading and video watching I have been doing (I am planning to start rebuilding soon). Higher ohms is a function of the number of coil wraps and the thickness of the wire.

As I understand it more wraps = higher ohms
the wire I do not remember which way it went thicker or thinner for higher ohms

EDIT: Never mind beaten to the punch by an expert :)

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
i have a tesla that will only work with devices 1.5 ohm and higher and i just received as a gift an aga t2 , 500 ss mesh, and 28 gauge kanthal, new to rba's but can mae a wick and coilfine just cant achieve a high enough ohm to use it? is there away to get it above 1.2( the highest ive achieved) so i can use this without buying a different mod?
If you make a solid wick 6/7 or 7/8 wrap you'll be well above 1.2 ohms. Can be done ... take your time coiling your Kanthal wire, keep coils close to each other. Expect .15 to .2 ohms per wrap. 28ga is great for tons of vapor and worth the extra effort to get it on there somehow, IMHO, providing your mod can deliver the amps/watts required. Your Tesla maxes at 3 amps/15watts, so a 1.4 - 1.5 ohm resistance ... is good.

Providing I use IMR high drain (10A) batteries, I can mount my 1.2 ohm, 28ga ZAP on the Joyetech eVic (Limited to 11 watts and supposedly 2.5 amps) and vape it at 3.7 volts all hunky dory. If you want to vape at voltages much above that, then you'll have to step down to 30ga Kanthal.

Mind you, you'd get far better results using a mechanical.

Last edited:

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
If you make a solid wick 6/7 or 7/8 wrap you'll be well above 1.2 ohms. Can be done ... take your time coiling your Kanthal wire, keep coils close to each other. Expect .15 to .2 ohms per wrap. 28ga is great for tons of vapor and worth the extra effort to get it on there somehow, IMHO, providing your mod can deliver the amps/watts required. Your Tesla maxes at 3 amps/15watts, so a 1.4 - 1.5 ohm resistance ... is good.

THIS is correct!

I have a tight 500 mesh wick in my AGA-T2 right now, about 2" of mesh rolled solid. It just *barely* fits into the factory hole (some people drill them out larger). I too am using 28 gauge kanthal. I have a 5/6 wrap and it gives me 1.1 ohms. Each wrap is worth 0.2 ohms on such a wick. I took one wind off and got 0.9. Put an extra wind on (6/7) and got 1.3 ohms. A 7/8 should get you 1.5 with ease and work pretty well to boot! :) One more wind would be a 8/9 at 1.7 ohms and the coils will be VERY close together, almost touching.

jophish

Apr 26, 2013
naples Florida
I use a aga t2 and love it and im using a cheap mechanical with a high drain battery .32 kanthal wire 400*400 mesh 4/3 wrap at 0.9 ohm resistance and find my self rocking out with it. I was using my vamo vv mod with it, let me note I used the wire that came with. I forget what I had the wire wrap at I do remember the resistance was 1.7 ohms but every 4 to 5 good hits the ohms would drop to low so I gave up with the vamo and pick up a simple bult to run my aga t2 havent had a problem sence. but I must say I have my eyes on the ihybrids

I had the same problem. The following provide me with a constant 2.2 ohm reading.
Roll a thick wick (barely able to clear the sides of the wick hole)
Using 28g kanthal wrap a 6/7 beginning approx 5mm above the base of the atty (kanthal should be at an upward angle at the first wrap)
Using this method the bottom of the protruding part of the wick will be bare.

Works great!!!

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I also use an AGA-T2 and my wick is 3" of 500SS rolled completely solid. It's a tight fit but it doesn't bind. I use 30AWG Kanthal A-1 with 4/5 wraps for a final ohms of 1.2-1.3

The 28 gauge won't really be VV/VW friendly without some very small gap coils IMO. I've just had best results with 4ish wraps as far as flavor and consistency go.

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
The 28 gauge won't really be VV/VW friendly without some very small gap coils IMO.
With a properly annealed wire there shouldn't be any gaps, and mechanicals aren't any more friendly towards them either. My ZAP is done with 28ga and has no gaps or voids, and no special labors were required to get it on there either.

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
With a properly annealed wire there shouldn't be any gaps, and mechanicals aren't any more friendly towards them either. My ZAP is done with 28ga and has no gaps or voids, and no special labors were required to get it on there either.

I guess it's all just a matter of personal preference. For me the tightly clustered coils and the touching coils focused too much heat on the wick and my fruity flavors tasted burned. So yes, you could run 28 on a VV as long as you don't mind 7 coils almost or actually touching, but the 30 is more forgiving for the 1.2 ohm target.

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
I guess it's all just a matter of personal preference. For me the tightly clustered coils and the touching coils focused too much heat on the wick and my fruity flavors tasted burned. So yes, you could run 28 on a VV as long as you don't mind 7 coils almost or actually touching, but the 30 is more forgiving for the 1.2 ohm target.
My point is that a wick can be rolled uniform, 28ga coils can be wrapped without any voids, and without having to crush them in too tight. It's quite doable.

If you are running a good high drain battery even on regulated mods you won't get much in the way of any delay time to fire even a 7/8 wrap. And coil spacing, even if close is all OK, makes for very smooth vapes as it gets right at all the points of the juiced-up wick and reduces the incidence of dry-hits quite well.

posthumous

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
thats what ive been doing, going to try thicker gauge wire, okcvapes was sold out when i bought my rba so i need to order online instead, btw GO GIANTS!

that doesn't sound quite right to me. if you want a higher resistance than what you already have, i think you'll want to get instead thinner wire or higher gauge (like 30 or 32).

btw, i have 0.1 x 0.5mm ribbon kanthal on my aga-t2. 3/4 wraps gives about 1.5ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread