AGA T2 - Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgraves66701

May 13, 2011
Kansas
Been vaping for a couple of years now. I have no desire to go mechanical but a desire to start using rebuildables. I went to a B&M close to me and the only thing they had was a AGA-T2 so I bought it. I was looking for a kayfun or Russian clone but they had none. I am used to top and bottom coil setups like iClear 30/30s/30b/16/16b as well as Kanger T3, Protanks and the likes. This AGA-T2 is shaking my confidence. I can roll the 400 SS mesh just fine and got pretty good at coils (1.2-1.5 ohm range) but none of them produce the flavor I am looking for. The flavor is extremely muted and can't stand how it will only wick if I tip it with the wick down. I am not used to that. Should I have held out for a Kayfun lite plus or 3.1 that can easily use cotton for wicks? Am I right that tipping would not be necessary with these? Are Genesis RBA's that much more difficult to dial in? Thanks in advance for your ideas & thoughts.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Not sure about the muted flavor. Never had that one. I have seen it mentioned before, so I'm sure someone has a solution for you. Maybe try cranking up the power a little?

For the wicking, you'll just have to get used to vaping it with wick facing down. However, it shouldn't take any extreme tilting to get it working well. Only when the tank is getting dry. A little tilting will help, but you really shouldn't have to tilt any more than what people tend to do anyway. As in, not vaping vertically.

The first thing you may want to try is to vape it without the fill hole screw in. That should help wicking.

You don't have to tilt the Kayfun-ish atties. And, gennies are regarded as more difficult than many other atties. The Aga being one of the more temperamental of them. Not at all saying Agas are bad. Just saying they're not the easiest gennies. If you got the coiling sorted out and don't suffer hotspots, it sounds like you're aaalmost there.

Last edited:

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Cotton dual wick is my friend.

Attachments

• DSC_3321.jpg
    DSC_3321.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_3316.jpg
    DSC_3316.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 154

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Been vaping for a couple of years now. I have no desire to go mechanical but a desire to start using rebuildables. I went to a B&M close to me and the only thing they had was a AGA-T2 so I bought it. I was looking for a Kayfun or Russian clone but they had none. I am used to top and bottom coil setups like iClear 30/30s/30b/16/16b as well as Kanger T3, Protanks and the likes. This AGA-T2 is shaking my confidence. I can roll the 400 SS mesh just fine and got pretty good at coils (1.2-1.5 ohm range) but none of them produce the flavor I am looking for. The flavor is extremely muted and can't stand how it will only wick if I tip it with the wick down. I am not used to that.

I have always got very nice, clean flavor out of my AGA-T which I used as my main vape tool for months last year. These days I have other devices I prefer, but I still use it now and then. It's always on a mechanical mod with about a 0.8 ohm coil, so around 14 - 18 watts depending on battery voltage. I use 27 gauge Kanthal and an air hole drilled to 2mm. I find under 15 watts both vapor and flavor are reduced from what it can be producing. When I first got it I tried it at ~2 ohms with the stock air hole on a regulated mod and I didn't like it because of the lack of vapor and flavor, but I might just not have known how to setup for the 12 watts I had available.

I use 400 or 500 SS mesh and I roll a slightly hollow wick. I had got used to CE4's (Vision Stardust) top coil clearos, and the tilt to vape that required and it doesn't bother me at all. I can control juice flow with tilt and that works for me. I do find if the wick gets a bit dry flavor and vapor suffer.

These attys can also be wicked with cotton like emus said. People have had very good success with this approach. I've got to try it one of these days.

Should I have held out for a Kayfun lite plus or 3.1 that can easily use cotton for wicks? Am I right that tipping would not be necessary with these? Are Genesis RBA's that much more difficult to dial in? Thanks in advance for your ideas & thoughts.

I got a $13 Rocket, a Kayfun clone from Fasttech late last year to try out the Kayfun type and I prefer that to the Genisis so far. I had a bit of trouble getting it to work right at first. Completely different design than the Genisis, depends on vacuum for proper juice feed and requires a totally different wick approach. Kept getting dry hits and ended up going with the typical Kayfun silica setup (like a lot of the videos show) at about 0.8 ohms, so again in the 15 watt area. It's working great now and I find it gives more intense flavor than the AGA-T does with very good vapor production. I have not tried it, but I suspect this atty will do better at lower power than a Genisis will. You do not need to tilt at all and what I really appreciate is that this puppy does not leak no matter what attitude it's in.

Last edited:

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
A genesis atty I would not recommend for the first RBA but since you have one keep at it, they can and do provide an awesome vape once you get past the initial learning curve. They do have quirks though, need to tilt for most builds and they don't travel as well as some others, also keep the fill hole screw removed for best wicking. Make sure you don't have any gaps against the ss but you don't want to strangle it either. If everything checks out give it some time if it's new build, they seem to do better after a tank or two is run through. You also might want to try a cotton build with it which do seem to be easier for many.

I'd also recommend saving for a Kayfun/Russian or clone. They work on a vacuum system so they do not require tilting, much more consistent and an easier build. Kinda big for on the go for my preferene but that should be solved once I find a nano kit.

Each type can provide an excellent vape but the Kayfun or Russian a less fussy more consistent build. I use my genesis at home and Kayfun or bottom feeder on the go.

dgraves66701

May 13, 2011
Kansas
I've had the screw out from the beginning so that didn't help the wicking. When the wick has plenty of juice the flavor is awesome. I was running it at 12 watts on my VTR. I was careful to prevent hotspots and the coils glow from the middle out as they should (using 28ga Kanthal A1) It's just that I have to keep it tipped constantly to keep the wick wet even when not vaping. If I didn't the next hit was be dry. Seems so much different than what I am used to. I'll keep trying it but feel I may have an easier time with a Kayfun or Russian type device. The guy at the B&M wicked it with cotton to begin with but must have used too much because it hardly wicked at all. He gave up and rolled 400 mesh. I'll get brave and attempt some of my own cotton wicks as soon as I find some organic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread