Status
Not open for further replies.

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
Personally I think the draw on my Cobra is just perfect, I don't like airy draw.
But it's far from sucking a tennis ball through an hose.
Do what I've seen suggested in various Cobra threads, take something that fits into the air hole and poke through a few times, there can be some burr left from machining that blocks it.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
I bored my Cobra out to 1/16" (about 1.58mm) and it was perfect for me, but it may be too loose for you. I would also suggest snagging some tiny metric drill bits if you can find them and drilling it to 1.2mm before going any wider.

Again, keep in mind that I prefer very little resistance, it's something you can easily get used to. The clouds of vapor at ~1.5mm are excellent, but even 1.2(like a DID) is great as well.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Do not touch the air hole on the Cobra....it has the perfect draw. All you have to do is insert a pin or a straightened out paper clip inside the hole and keep spinning it. Some of the Cobra's have obstructed air holes......and the above will fix the problem. I have tried many RBA's and the cobra is one of the best if not the best when it comes to flavor, wicking, vapor, and performance... so try not to touch the air hole.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
Do not touch the air hole on the Cobra....it has the perfect draw. All you have to do is insert a pin or a straightened out paper clip inside the hole and keep spinning it. Some of the Cobra's have obstructed air holes......and the above will fix the problem. I have tried many RBA's and the cobra is one of the best if not the best when it comes to flavor, wicking, vapor, and performance... so try not to touch the air hole.
The important part of this post is in your opinion. While yes, first the OP should make sure the air hole is unobstructed and then try it out, but it still may not be to their liking. Mine wasn't obstructed at all but I still ended up boring it out a slight bit after a week or two of using it stock and I preferred it that way. Though a lot of people like a tighter draw, many of us prefer a more airy draw. My Kayfun, for example, has an adjustable airflow. You can tighten the screw in or out to open it up or almost completely close it, and I prefer it with the screw almost all the way out most of the time, though sometimes I do close it off more.

It's all a matter of preference, though I do DEFINITELY agree that the OP should check to make sure it isn't partially closed up from machining before modding it. Keep in mind that once you drill it out you can't undrill it. But you can always give it time and go to open it up a tad bit later on.

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
The important part of this post is in your opinion. While yes, first the OP should make sure the air hole is unobstructed and then try it out, but it still may not be to their liking.

Agreed. I've had three different Cobras at this point, and I made sure they were all unobstructed (and, in fact, they all had the same draw), and it's just too tight for me. Maybe it's the way I draw, but I find the stock hole to just be too much work for too little vapor. Bored out to 1.2 I was very happy.

Then again, I love my ZAP, which has an air hole the size of the Lincoln Tunnel.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Ofcourse some people like airier draws....but the obstructed airflow on the Cobras is very common. Most of my Gennys have much larger air holes than the Cobra....The draw on the Cobra is a little harder than my other RBAs but it produces clouds of vapor with little effort. If it vapes like you are sucking a golf ball through a hose and produces little vapor however hard you try....there is some obstruction. The obstruction might not be visible (mine wasn't) but with a dental pick or pin or something you should be able to open the air hole....brushing the inside with a steel brush should follow. Residual manufacturing oils might be forming a film on the air holefrom the inside of the cap, so washing the top cap out with soap might not be a bad idea. I would try all these steps before boring out the air hole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread