Air lock issue, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eden Freeman

Nov 25, 2017
Shenzhen, China
I have a CROWN 3, I really like how it looks, but I have to unscrew the cap and lots of air bubbles come out of the coil, after that I can use it for a few puffs and have to do it again to release the vapor lock to get the air bubbles from the coil. What's wrong with it? Is there a way to fix it?
Please help, thanks.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I don't own a Crown but it sounds as though the juice isn't flowing to the coil properly. Your Crown 3 has pre-built coils right ?. If i were having the problem you're having i'd take out the coil unit and use a pin to adjust the wick where the juice would flow through. To put it bluntly "poke around in the holes in the base of the unit to open them up a little". I'm guessing the wicking material is blocking the holes a little too much.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I have a CROWN 3, I really like how it looks, but I have to unscrew the cap and lots of air bubbles come out of the coil, after that I can use it for a few puffs and have to do it again to release the vapor lock to get the air bubbles from the coil. What's wrong with it? Is there a way to fix it?
Please help, thanks.

Sounds like you're experiencing a "dry coil". When you open up the cap, it creates a small vacuum pulling air into the tank through the coils to create an air bubble.. when you screw the cap back down, it is doing the opposite, but since the air is at the top of the tank, it pushes juice instead into the coil.

What evan said is true.... but I would take it one step further. I would take a pin, and put a small hole into the wick. This makes it easier for the juice to get to the coil. Don't poke too big of a hole, or it would flood the coil with too much juice. I would start with the smallest pin you have (think no bigger than a straight pin) and put one hole in each side on an older coil or test coil for testing. See how well it wicks... if you need another hole, then do it until you get one that wicks fast enough.

Eden Freeman

Nov 25, 2017
Shenzhen, China
I don't own a Crown but it sounds as though the juice isn't flowing to the coil properly. Your Crown 3 has pre-built coils right ?. If i were having the problem you're having i'd take out the coil unit and use a pin to adjust the wick where the juice would flow through. To put it bluntly "poke around in the holes in the base of the unit to open them up a little". I'm guessing the wicking material is blocking the holes a little too much.
I'll try that. Thank you so much:thumb:

Eden Freeman

Nov 25, 2017
Shenzhen, China
Sounds like you're experiencing a "dry coil". When you open up the cap, it creates a small vacuum pulling air into the tank through the coils to create an air bubble.. when you screw the cap back down, it is doing the opposite, but since the air is at the top of the tank, it pushes juice instead into the coil.

What evan said is true.... but I would take it one step further. I would take a pin, and put a small hole into the wick. This makes it easier for the juice to get to the coil. Don't poke too big of a hole, or it would flood the coil with too much juice. I would start with the smallest pin you have (think no bigger than a straight pin) and put one hole in each side on an older coil or test coil for testing. See how well it wicks... if you need another hole, then do it until you get one that wicks fast enough.
Wow, I'm impressed. You explained it really clearly. Thank you very much!

Eden Freeman

Nov 25, 2017
Shenzhen, China

Sorry, I don't know why I got confused again. Why it creates a small vacuum when I loose the top cap? I was thinking there was a vacuum before I loosing the top cap, and why there was no bubble coming out from the coil?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Air is exciting the tank, that's what causes the pressure change, allowing more e-liquid to enter the coil. I think that's how it works.

In any case, you've gotten good advice and I hope it helps. Welcome to ECF :) Congrats on switching to vaping and keep asking questions until you feel you have it working "right." :)

Anna

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Sorry, I don't know why I got confused again. Why it creates a small vacuum when I loose the top cap? I was thinking there was a vacuum before I loosing the top cap, and why there was no bubble coming out from the coil?
When you unscrew the cap, the threading doesn't let air come in very quickly. Kind of like a slow leak in your tire. So the air doesn't come in through the top until you've unscrewed it most of the way. You're right, you do have a vacuum. However, while unscrewing the top, the top is raising up and creating more vacuum. Since the air can't get in through the threads, it pulls up from the bottom instead, creating the bubbles you see coming from the coil. Then when you screw it back down, you are pushing the juice down into the coil.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You're right. With the cap on and the air control closed off, a vacumm is created inside the tank when you take a puff. When you remove the cap, the vacumm is released as air rushes into the tank and the tank pressure equalizes with the room pressure.

I'm thinking that your issue may be that your air control ring is turned (off) so that you create too much vacumm in the tank; this could restrict the coil from taking in liquid. Try rotating it around so that your draw (puff) is more loose. This should allow the coil to take in liquid.

It is normal to see some air bubbles coming from the coil as the air pressure adjusts inside the coil/tank after taking a puff.

Last edited:

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Tanks are a closed system with the only pressure exchange via the cotton around the coil. This has to be to avoid leaking. The cotton is most likely your problem location. As per above poking holes in the cotton or doing something to decrease the density of the cotton will relieve the constriction. Obviously decreasing the density too much will cause leaking. Those are mass produced coils and probably not produced to close tolerances per cotton density. Another coil may work better, maybe not. Hard to say. Kinda like luck of the draw. Some tanks with small clearances between the vapor chambers and the outer glass will also suffer from problems with thick juices regarding pressure exchange between air and liquid.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I get air lock on the Melo III. It's a sure-fire bet.
The problem was never solved so I try not to use it.
I suspect the airflow was never as open as other tanks I use those coils in.
Unfortunately, vaping hardware is not a perfect science as people's preferences vary so greatly. Often we just say "it's not a good product" but the people who designed it did their best but it just doesn't work in every combination.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Please help, thanks.
Might like to read:
Tank Flooding Explained | Learning Center | VaVaVape
Most Frequently Asked Vaping Questions Part 2
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...atomizers-for-new-vapists-how-they-work.5250/
How many watts do you vape at?
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/tfv8-leaking.766439/

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.

its like holding your finger on the end of a syringe and pulling the plunger out, it creates a small vacuum before the plunger is totally removed ( seal opens up) and when you replace the cap it seals first and then the cap continues to compress the air in it as it closes down ( like placing your finger on the end of the syringe and replaceing the plunger)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread