Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
It’s funny you wrote that: there was this guy coming in, right after I wrote my post, with a big, fat, pen-like e-cig, and he started blowing enormous clouds. I mean, really as big as they can get, it literally filled the half the room for a few seconds every time. Guys like this give us vapers a bad name, I was almost ashamed being one at that moment, there was nothing funny about it. Plus, this was in an Asian airport, that’s especially stupid, since vaping is illegal in many Asian countries: that won’t help to convince people that it’s harmless...

I did check the TSA liquid rules but didn't see anything about eliquid and there wasn't anything about labeling with any liquid. I guess the question was would they trust an unlabeled "mystery" liquid. So it sounds like they do based on other's experiences.

It's hit or miss. Most times its never an issue , but they may snag your scissors. Just recently I went thru and no issues with the scissors (I have a tiny tiny pair to trim wicks), but they snagged my corkscrew

They took your corkscrew out of a checked bag? That is really weird consider I just saw they allow things like axes and hatchets in checked bags.

I think I may leave the scissors behind. I'll just pre-cut a bunch of wicks and trim with the wire cutters. I may do that with the wire as well, rather than risk my whole spool. I'm not too worried about losing the cutters, I got them for like $1.99 at Harbor Freight.

Reactions: stols001

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
When I came home from Nashville in February I had some eliquid my friend made and it was labeled with a sharpie on the bottle. I put all eliquid in a see through zip lock bag and had no problems bringing it on the plane in my carry on. I had my mods in my pocket and just had to take them out. I didn't have anything to build with so I don't know about that. Good luck.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The juice bottles have to be put in transparent, sealed bags, just like other liquids (shower gel, toothpaste, deodorant), and it must be a bottle of max. 150 ml.

Within the US...you're only allowed 1 quart-sized baggie, that must contain any/all liquids you take in your carry-on. The max. size for each one of them is 3.4oz. = 102mL, not 150mL. No TSA agent will measure an unlabeled bottle of eliquid to see if it's 102mL or smaller though. They're just going to eyeball it, and if it "looks" to be larger than that to the agent who checks your stuff...in the trash it goes. I've personally seen people in lines in front of me, who've had what they said were their 100mL bottles of DIY or other liquids...trashed on a few trips. They looked no bigger than that to me either.

Since then, I personally don't take any chances with how much it looks like they contain to an agent. I just take several 50-60mL bottles, so it's pretty obvious they are nowhere near the 102mL limit in size.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Within the US...you're only allowed 1 quart-sized baggie, that must contain any/all liquids you take in your carry-on. The max. size for each one of them is 3.4oz. = 102mL, not 150mL. No TSA agent will measure an unlabeled bottle of eliquid to see if it's 102mL or smaller though. They're just going to eyeball it, and if it "looks" to be larger than that to the agent who checks your stuff...in the trash it goes. I've personally seen people in lines in front of me, who've had what they said were their 100mL bottles of DIY or other liquids...trashed on a few trips. They looked no bigger than that to me either.

Since then, I personally don't take any chances with how much it looks like they contain to an agent. I just take several 50-60mL bottles, so it's pretty obvious they are nowhere near the 102mL limit in size.

I planned on putting my large bottles in my checked bag. For carry on I'll just have one 30ml bottle. That will be more than enough to get me to the hotel and unpack anything else.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
No it was carry on , which is probably why, but so we're my scissors
I did check the TSA liquid rules but didn't see anything about eliquid and there wasn't anything about labeling with any liquid. I guess the question was would they trust an unlabeled "mystery" liquid. So it sounds like they do based on other's experiences.

They took your corkscrew out of a checked bag? That is really weird consider I just saw they allow things like axes and hatchets in checked bags.

I think I may leave the scissors behind. I'll just pre-cut a bunch of wicks and trim with the wire cutters. I may do that with the wire as well, rather than risk my whole spool. I'm not too worried about losing the cutters, I got them for like $1.99 at Harbor Freight.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland

Thanks for correcting me, for some reason I thought in the US, the same rules applied as in Europe. Or maybe I’m wrong and it’s the same , and we’re also allowed 100 ml max. And yes, here too, everything goes into the trash.

Reactions: JCinFLA

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Going to a Smoking rooms in an airports is like "now i know what bacon feels like". The worst I have ever been to Mumbai, Doha. They were something. Doha especially. Would make foggy Dartmoor embarrassed. Dubai is a little better, bigger and decently ventilated. Heathrow, I couldn't even find a smoking area. Maybe there isn't one. Toronto was the best one i have seen. Very well ventilated.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thanks for correcting me, for some reason I thought in the US, the same rules applied as in Europe. Or maybe I’m wrong and it’s the same , and we’re also allowed 100 ml max. And yes, here too, everything goes into the trash.
EU.JPG

Cheers
I

• Informative
Reactions: KurtVD

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Speaking of flying anyone ever have a problem with rebuild materials in their checked bag? Spools of wire, wire cutters, scissors, etc.? The wife is concerned that they may consider the wire and cutters "bomb making materials". I have reassured her they won't but she still seems a bit concerned. Also I DIY juice, will they flag nic juice that is not labeled from a company?
Scissors under 4" are ok in carry on for domestic US flights, check out the TSA website, not sure about wire cutters.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Neither IAH nor MCO have smoke lounges. I stealth vape in the SkyClub and in the gate area

Stealth vaping is always a possibility, although the fines for smoking in a lot of airports are really high, and I don't think you could successfully argue that you were vaping, and not smoking.

Btw: Can vapour set a smoke alarm off? My guess is probably not, but you don't really know until someone has tested it.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Stealth vaping is always a possibility, although the fines for smoking in a lot of airports are really high, and I don't think you could successfully argue that you were vaping, and not smoking.
Btw: Can vapour set a smoke alarm off?
Btw: Can vapour set a smoke alarm off?
Yes.

Concerning fines: The "Airport" employees would need to call the local police to enforce local laws.
Do you have an example of an airport issuing fines or are you just "speculating"? (POA)

Cheers
I

Last edited:

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Concerning fines: The "Airport" employees would need to call the local police to enforce local laws.
Do you have an example of an airport issuing fines or are you just "speculating"? (POA)
I

What does POA mean?

No I don’t have an example of airport authorities issuing fines, but I was just traveling through Hong Kong where there were signs everywhere with warnings of a potential 5000HK$ fine, which is over 600US$, and I think I have seen other Asian airports with the same type of warning signs. I thought that the airport authorities have the authority to enforce certain things on their premises, but I could be wrong. If they can, why would hey hesitate? But you’re right, it would be interesting to see the statistics for these fines.

Reactions: Eskie

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
What does POA mean?

No I don’t have an example of airport authorities issuing fines, but I was just traveling through Hong Kong where there were signs everywhere with warnings of a potential 5000HK$ fine, which is over 600US$, and I think I have seen other Asian airports with the same type of warning signs. I thought that the airport authorities have the authority to enforce certain things on their premises, but I could be wrong. If they can, why would hey hesitate? But you’re right, it would be interesting to see the statistics for these fines.

K,

Most of us on ECF are from the US,UK,EU,CA,AU.

The majority of folks here are not in China nor will ever be in an Asian airport.
However, we will remain mindful of your observations, just in case.

POA- "pulled out of "A-word for buttock" Unsubstantiated inference, deduction, supposition, conclusion.
FUD - Fear, uncertainty and doubt. (looks like the signs WORKED)

Cheers
I

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
K,

The majority of folks here are not in China nor will ever be in an Asian airport.

POA- "pulled out of "A-word for buttock" Unsubstantiated inference, deduction, supposition, conclusion.

Cheers
I

I am also from Europe, but I’m familiar with more Asian airports than European airports.

About the fear: 100% agree, since the 9/11 attacks, airports have become places where you just follow rules - any rule- and certainly don’t want any troubles.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Scissors and wire cutters are ok in the checked bag, but not in the cabin (although, I had a small pair of scissors in my cabin bag, they let it pass for my first flight, but took it away when I had to change planes.

Fingernail or toenail clippers are the trick for clipping wire and they don't arouse suspicion in airports.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Fingernail or toenail clippers are the trick for clipping wire and they don't arouse suspicion in airports.

They work great for Kanthal, not so much for SS or Titanium though. I completely ruined a pair trying to cut those wires with nail clippers.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
K,

I

Out of curiosity: Couldn't they just put you on the no-fly list for "disruptive behaviour" if they caught you vaping repeatedly? After the fines?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
VAPING on a plane these days is similar to SNAKES on a plane, for reals do not DO IT.

I learned my lesson a LONG time ago frankly and it sucked. God. I hope it doesn't show in my background check, it SHOULDN'T it was like, a decade ago and also buried somewhere in some small cabinet. LOL. It wasn't even a citation, just a stewardess having a bad day.

ALSO, I recommend the FAMILY bathroom for vaping. It's usually NOT HORRIBLE and you are all alone, no chance of getting caught. You kind of have to ignore the baby changing station you'll see in the corner of your eye, probably, and ALL that may have happened there, but honestly, they usually keep it fairly clean. LOL.

None of this is legal advice, okay.??

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread