Alien Clapton Troubles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvlSmrk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
Pulaski, NY
Was trying my first attempts at an alien Clapton last night, please realize it's plural...went through a lot of wire. LOL! I realize it's sort of par for the course for this sort of build, especially when starting, but I'd like some insight if you don't mind. Was working with Kidney Puncher Wire. Both Kanthal A1, the cores at 26g, and the wrap at 36g. Everything seemed to go smoothly with the initial steps. Claptoned fine, decored fine, stretch appeared decent, setup seemed cool (was using bearing swivels and a Dewalt 18V). But I always ended up with stacking the cores within the first inch or so of rewrapping. Didn't seem to matter how fast or slow I had the drill going (man that puts some wear and tear on your thumb). I'm thinking I maybe held the wrap with too much tension, but I kept trying to hold it as lightly as possible, just to guide it and let the wrap just slide between my fingers, usually holding it about 6-8", sometimes more, from the core. Did notice that if I tried to lead it at all it would space the wrap out significantly, so I usually ended up holding it about perpendicular to the core as it wrapped.

Please, any help you could provide would be appreciated. Not giving up, but I'd prefer to learn from the masters and get a usable coil sooner rather than later, especially if it's something stupid that I'm unintentionally doing.

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Nichrome for the decored clapton/alien wrap would be a better choice as it will bend around the cores a bit easier and allow you to use less pressure when holding it as its being wrapped over the cores, it is possible to use Kanthal but you may need to stretch the decored clapton more than you would with the Nichrome.

Getting the core wires straight before setting out is always good.

Under tension once youve connected to the swivel and the drill all three wires need to be parallel, if one is a little slack you will get twist.

Personally ive started doing my aliens by only connecting the center of the three core wires to the swivel, the other two are held to the center wire by wrapping 38 or 40g around them a few times.

Start your drill slow and once you have a few alien wraps on stop and use your pliers to squeeze and make sure everything is staying parallel under the part youve aliened, you may need to do this a couple or three times just at the beginning, always make sure you have tension on the core wire by pulling on the drill whilst wrapping.

The only other thing i can think of is that maybe your swivels arent spinning smoothly?

Reactions: coilspotting

EvlSmrk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
Pulaski, NY
Would like to stick to the 36g Kanthal for now, since I have it, but if I keep getting licked by this thing, I'll switch to Nichrome.

Will look at stretching the decored Clapton more before starting. Did notice that after a bit it would seem like wrap would start to snag the core.

I did end up with one of the cores usually being slack once set up. Didn't realize how important that would be, but it makes a lot of sense. Tried chucking into the drill first, then wrapping around the swivel...slack. Tried wrapping around the swivel first, then putting into the drill...slack, though less than when put into the drill first. Sounds like I really need to spend more time and care on that step and make sure that they're all good and even before even starting. Definitely understandable, just didn't realize how important. Will also try with just attaching the center core to the swivel and taping or wrapping the others to it.

I think the swivels are good. They're the Eagle Claw Lazer Ball Bearing Swivels with Interlock Snaps, size 2, that I got from Dick's Sporting Goods. Three of them hooked in series, for redundancy, and so far I've only seen the outer one spin.

Will be more mindful of the applied tension and stopping as little as possible. Slowing down to check progress doesn't seem to be much of a problem. More attempts and caution might help me knock this thing out. Thank you very much for your insight SLIPPY_EEL.

EvlSmrk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
Pulaski, NY
"Nailed it". Took a long time and I've got to think that with better technique and a lot of practice it will become easier. Can't even wrap my head around the efficiency of guys like Terk, Squidoode, and Ohmboyoc (just naming the few that I watched vids of). Threw it on my Twisted Messes and she's hitting like a damn freight train...it's awesome.
Dual Alien on TM Clone - 3x26, 36, 2.5, 5 - 01 - Smaller.jpg
Dual Alien on TM Clone - 3x26, 36, 2.5, 5 - 02 - Smaller.jpg
Dual Alien on TM Clone - 3x26, 36, 2.5, 5 - 03 - Smaller.jpg
Dual Alien on TM Clone - 3x26, 36, 2.5, 5 - 04 - Smaller.jpg

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
"Nailed it". Took a long time and I've got to think that with better technique and a lot of practice it will become easier. Can't even wrap my head around the efficiency of guys like Terk, Squidoode, and Ohmboyoc (just naming the few that I watched vids of). Threw it on my Twisted Messes and she's hitting like a damn freight train...it's awesome.
View attachment 539959 View attachment 539960 View attachment 539961 View attachment 539962

Woopwoop :D

.......which part of the process was it that was holding you up before you nailed it?

EvlSmrk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
Pulaski, NY
So is it more of a trial and error thing until it clicks, or does it seem like there's something that I'm fundamentally doing incorrectly? I bet it'd be hard to tell without seeing it happen, but I think I just need to keep at it until it's more smooth. Truth in advertising, those coils came from separate attempts. Each trying to make a 10", or so, section but only ending up with enough good from each to make one coil.

Reactions: ThaFuzz

Rockwell222

Sep 21, 2015
Nice job with your first aliens. I know when I nailed it 3rd time I was very happy with myself. I find that holding the decored Clapton so lightly that you can feel it rotating around is best. If I don't feel it doing that then I know I'm holding it to tight. I also used a small piece of masking tape and wrapped it around the cores at around the halfway mark to help keep the cores on top of each other. Now I don't do that because it just gets in the way but it's all about practice. It's become second nature and it feels like I'm making a fused Clapton. Keep up the good work and keep posting pics of your builds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread