Need Help With Alien Clapton Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolWhhhhip6937

May 12, 2016
so the other day I tried to make some alien clapton coils for the first time and totally messed them up, it started out perfect but I guess I was putting to much tension and my 3 core wires grouped together instead of staying parallel and messed everything up. Does anyone have any tips of tricks as to how to help keep the 3 core wires parallel and not bunch up?

phanner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2014
Frederick, MD
so the other day I tried to make some alien clapton coils for the first time and totally messed them up, it started out perfect but I guess I was putting to much tension and my 3 core wires grouped together instead of staying parallel and messed everything up. Does anyone have any tips of tricks as to how to help keep the 3 core wires parallel and not bunch up?
Gorilla tape has been the best thing for me.

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
I use tape and slowly do the first couple inches and sacrifice them to keep the cores straight. What I mean by that is I will go super slow getting my wrap perf3ct on the first couple inches then I will take a pair of pliers and really clamp the .... out of the wire. It kind of ruins the first bit you complete but it really seems to keep the cores parallel.

Also what gauge core are you using ? Oh and Good luck

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
It's a process of learning, took me a lot of wasted feet of thin 32-36g wire to learn how to properly wrap an alien but I have a method that works 100% of the time.
Basically, tape up the cores about a quarter inch up the chuck end. Make sure they're nice and snug together in the tape. Then bend the 3 core wires evenly all at once with toothless pliers on the 1/4" section before the tape. Spread them into a triangle for each of the bends to fit into one part of the drill chuck & tighten it down on the tape, it'll spread them a little bit but don't worry about that.
Then what I do next once they're secured in the chuck is secure tension across the cores by running my index finger and thumb from the chuck to about half way up the cores pulling them straight. While you're holding it taught, put a piece of tape behind your index finger & thumb (like on the chuck side, not the swivel side) so they're secure.
Do the same thing but about 1" away from the end of the cores going into the swivel. Now, make sure everything is taught & laid flat horizontally from the chuck to the end of the wire. It's important that they're all parallel & horizontal going into the swivel. Bend them down 180° into the swivel (while holding tension on the cores) and pull the drill back to keep the tension.
Do a quick spin test to see if they're all staying completely flush & parallel and when wrapping, keep tension on the cores & wrap at all times.
That's pretty much how I align my 3 core 26g aliens, 28g&up I'll bend the cores into the swivel 180° & then over the cores again if that makes any sense.
If you have any questions, shoot me a message

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
invest in a four jaw drill chuck, way easier to keep the wires parallel.
Not necessary. A micro chuck maybe (cheap investment, works great with wires), but you don't necessarily need a 4pc chuck. Been using 3 for all of my aliens and they come out like
image.jpeg

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread