Trouble with fused claptons ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coils&clouds

Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento CA
so I free hand wrap my Claptons just a drill sum wire and my hands. Ive gotten really good at dual cores now trying to perfect my tri core the only problem is no matter what I do it starts to pull the cores into a like a triangle shape. I've tried holing em parallel with other high gauge wire, with paper clips,Bobby pins,ect. Just pulls em to that triangle am I holding to much tension cuz I tried loosening up a little but my wraps don't lay down tightly without the tension idk I know there's jigs and stuff but I'm dirt ... poor lol lucky to have a drill. Does any other free hand wrappers out there have any tricks up their sleeve for holing those wires straight and parallel!any tips would be greatly appreciated

Coils&clouds

Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento CA
Yes actually one the first videos I watched to learn the fused Clapton myself however my problem comes in when I try to multiply my cores to 3,4,and on they won't stay parallel due to the tightness of the Clapton but you have to hold the tension or it won't lay down right I may just have to heavy of a grip idk thank u tho :)

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Straighten all the wires. Hook one end around a swivel. Pinch and run your finger down tight to the end and cut them the same length. Bend the ends at a 90 degrees three different directions so each wire has it's own place in the chuck of the drill. That should help them stay parallel.

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
coils&clouds" data-source="post: 20920955" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
coils&clouds said:
Yes actually one the first videos I watched to learn the fused Clapton myself however my problem comes in when I try to multiply my cores to 3,4,and on they won't stay parallel due to the tightness of the Clapton but you have to hold the tension or it won't lay down right I may just have to heavy of a grip idk thank u tho :)

I found this video too open is hard to read but has a good idea

Like you I do not have a lot of money to spend but you may want to consider $23.20 Authentic Avidartisan Daedalus Pro Clapton Wire DIY Tool Coil Jig at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping since you already have the drill $44.43 Authentic Avidartisan Daedalus Pro Clapton Wire DIY Tool V2 Coil Jig Kit - 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping I wish I could help but I don't wrap my own claptons I buy wire from Advanced Vape Supply However I have a ton of wire so I am going to give Mr.Relentless suggestion a try.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I used the small triangular paper clips for a while, until I recently switched to 3d printed slider that i printed off. The paper clips worked well, and were cheap and easy to make. Drill a small hole in the back and flatten out the rounded lips in the front middle section. Here are a couple of pics for reference. First two are the paper clip and how I modded them, last is of my 3d printed slider with 3 28g wires in it.
20180615_192936.jpg
20180615_193020.jpg
20180615_193138.jpg

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Personally i would stay with 2 core any more slower ramp up, my preferred is 2core Nic80 28g Nic80- 0.40g wrap,
I use NI80 28g x3 wrapped in 40g 0.35 ohm at 45w and I have maybe a half a second ramp up, but likely less as I can't accurately measure that little time. Triple core Claptons can ramp up quickly.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I found this video too open is hard to read but has a good idea

Like you I do not have a lot of money to spend but you may want to consider $23.20 Authentic Avidartisan Daedalus Pro Clapton Wire DIY Tool Coil Jig at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping since you already have the drill $44.43 Authentic Avidartisan Daedalus Pro Clapton Wire DIY Tool V2 Coil Jig Kit - 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping I wish I could help but I don't wrap my own claptons I buy wire from Advanced Vape Supply However I have a ton of wire so I am going to give Mr.Relentless suggestion a try.

Now I know. Thanks!:thumb:

Reactions: stols001

Garden gnome

Jul 19, 2017
Claxton,GA
I'm kinda late to the game but I use key rings to keep mine straight! Bend your leads at a 90 degree insert into chuck, pull tite and put in swivel then I use 3 key rings first at.the beginning by the chuck second in the middle and one on the end by swivel.. Start off slow get your tension right and move the key ring only a quarter of an inch at.the time as.you get.to the end you can take off the rings unlike those sliders where you end up wasting wire

Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I'm kinda late to the game but I use key rings to keep mine straight! Bend your leads at a 90 degree insert into chuck, pull tite and put in swivel then I use 3 key rings first at.the beginning by the chuck second in the middle and one on the end by swivel.. Start off slow get your tension right and move the key ring only a quarter of an inch at.the time as.you get.to the end you can take off the rings unlike those sliders where you end up wasting wire
The sliders I use will waste a little bit, about a 1/4in of wire, but I don't have to stop and move or remove anything at all when using them. Starting and stopping caused more issues for me, thats when i had the most issues pop up. Wasting a 1/4in of wire to make a 3 foot wire shot with minimal effort, that's worth it in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread