The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Alternate DIY Flavoring ...

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Hello World, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Hello World

Hello World Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2012
    Vancouver
    Aside from the usual liquid flavors we use such as LorAnns, TFA, Capella, FA, etc., what other lesser known ways are there to flavoring e-juices?

The above all give me minor headaches even in very minute quantities, but vendor juices do not.

Currently, unflavored is the only DIY I can do so I'm looking at other avenues.

Powder forms, concentrated lemon juices, Tabasco drops, crushed coffee beans?

What else is out there I could try?

2. t8kiteasy

t8kiteasy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 22, 2012
    virginia beach
    Beside other alternatives using too much PG in juices can give headaches.Flavor West has some flavorings,i noticed you did not mention them in your post,have you used them yet? There is also Ellas gourmet flavorings you can get at highdesertvapes(Along with organic flavors),johnsoncreek juices PG,and non PG.Hangsen,Tasty Puff,FlavorsExpress.I am running out of suggestions now.

3. Hello World

Dec 20, 2012
    Vancouver
    I went to great length to eliminate any possibilities in respect to PG, VG, their ratios, nic-bases, different Clearos & RBAs, to the point where only the flavoring was left. In fact I add even 1 drop, any drop, of the above flavoring to a 5ml unflavored juice ... BANG! headaches 5 minutes later. I have 3 different sources of PG, 4 of VG, 8 of nic-bases to absolutely leave no stones overturned, and I'm into this well over 50 hours and over $200 in supplies to troubleshoot this issue. It makes absolutely no sense using those flavors other DIYers have used successfully for years is giving me such big troublespots.

No. At this point I'm open to anything. I'll put this on my list as an item to look into. I'm sure another 50 hours will go down until I find something what works.

I appreciate your input. Everything will be followed down until the situation resolves.

4. Shilo

Shilo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2011
    Here & There
    I am pretty sensitive to the smells of some flavorings so I get where you are coming from. Even when I go to open the flavorings drawers it can make me cough if I take too big of a wiff. I agree on Flavor West some are much more gentle smelling and I would also consider trying the chinese super concentrated if you haven't allready. You need so little a reaction is less likely IMO.

Another possibility is make some flavors you are pretty sure you will like and leave them alone for a month. If vendors juices don't affect you this same way you may need longer steep time for the flavors to settle down. Another option is to try to find out what flavorings your vendor uses that don't bother you although that would probably be harder to figure out.

5. Hello World

Dec 20, 2012
    Vancouver
    I have to fan out any air from opened flavor bottles ... lol ... or I'll get nauseated by the fumes.

Chinese super concentrated ... who sells them? Vendors or stores? Lots of Chinese merchants here.

I like the flavors strong, so that's all OK, it's just whatever I mentioned above nets me headaches, and of course anything much over 5% of these flavors, and I can taste them in my mouth too ... getting stuck between the teeth and I can still taste them 24 hours later. Seems they were made for a different purpose.

Tested all that too. Have over 30 - 10ml juices I made 5 weeks ago ... same deal ... headaches persists and so far anyways, have found little difference in the steeping process. Yeah, that's too bad ... the steeping issue is also one I tried this, that and any which way.

They won't tell ... lol ... trade secret I guess.

Thanks for your advices ... will also look into your suggestions.

6. Shilo

Shilo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2011
    Here & There
    The ones i know for sure that sell them over here are ecigexpress and vaping zone. Ecigexpress has them under flavors express and vaping zone I believe it says chinese super concentrated flavorings for the header where they are located. Good luck to you and I hope you figure it out. I went through a period of time where I just vaped flavorings at 5% and under and that seemed to help me. With these supers you are only going to need to use about 2.5%.

7. boomerdude

boomerdude Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sounds like you went through a pretty rigorous testing in eliminating sources for the problem. Plan B, maybe you could add cider vinegar or lemon juice to your mixes, depending on if they're acidic or alkaline. Or, you may be a super - taster, in which case all bets are off.

8. ninfreak

ninfreak Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 18, 2011
    burkesville, kentucky
    funny that you get headaches from your own but not from vendors when they use the same flavoring companies we all do for diy.

9. glassmanoak

glassmanoak Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2012
    Lafayette, La
  10. Hello World

Dec 20, 2012
    Vancouver
    Yes. I pretty much have to in order to get to the bottom of it.

Those are the avenues I'm looking into exploring. I don't have any food flavor issues, just with the DIY supplier lists mention above and whatever ingredients they use. There may be other options too, and that's why I made this thread. I'm sure I can't be the only one getting adverse results, and what solutions they have found.

I noted one of them has "Caramel Color", so it seems to me these may in fact be chemicals that simulate flavors, not anything actually derived from food. I may be wrong.

Do they? Do all of them? Are there vendors that do something else?
    I haven't looked for it, but haven't seen anyone advertise whose flavors they use.

I have no VG/PG problems ... eliminated as a possibility. Carriers seem not to be an issue. And FA, like the others, also cause headaches.

11. t8kiteasy

t8kiteasy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 22, 2012
    virginia beach
    The juices you make,are they alcohol based,possibility???? I just noticed from a freebie flavor i was just dripping with,an organic flavor,had a very heavy and potent smell.I know i suggested,"going to organic flavors",maybe you are using some organic flavors and just did not notice that.

12. Hello World

Dec 20, 2012
    Vancouver
    Yes, some have alcohol in them. Some also contain caramel color and triacetin ... but it makes little difference getting headaches whether they do or they don't. I have tested all that too. The bottles don't say anywhere whether they are natural flavors or not.

Some bottles were even open-top steeped for a week to have it evaporate -- made no difference. I also don't have any adverse reactions or allergies to alcohol in general. I can sniff an open bottle of vodka without any probs.

I will look into organic flavors as well. I just got a tip on crushing up a Fisherman's Friend and mixing it in. These are the kinds of options I'm also looking at. Lots of people have gotten really innovative with cake mixes and what not, and would like to hear from them too. One way or the other I'm gonna get on top of this.

13. ckone180

ckone180 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I will toss in another vote for the alcohol may be your issue. What I do it nuke the flavoring for 10 seconds, just to get the alcohol to evaporate. After letting it cool down, that smell is toned way way down. I don't like the taste of the alcohol, so I'm not sure about headaches.

Also, Ellas from HDV is rebranded Capellas. They just named it that way for whatever reason.

14. Hello World

Dec 20, 2012
    Vancouver
    Thanks, will test that too. Great input. I have done the hot water thing so far, and that also has not helped things.

Comes from here: Concentrated Flavorings|Sugar Free Drink | Flavor Drops
    I'm very aware of rebottlers and what not. I always try to go to the source and why I have multiple ones.

15. ckone180

ckone180 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh yeah. I knew the Ellas was Capellas, just thought I'd share in case you didn't.

Hot water and leaving lids open for a couple days didn't perform nearly as well as the microwave for me. Really, some people steep for weeks and weeks. I nuke, then let it sit a day or so, then give it a try. So far, that alcohol taste can not be noticed at all when I go this route.

16. Lavaca5

Lavaca5 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

If you like tobacco juices, you might want to take a look at the "Liquid Extraction from Tobacco" thread, especially the 'slow cooker' method. If you make your own extract and use organic tobacco, you may be able to eliminate whatever it is that's triggering the headaches. You may still need to find a sweetener that you can tolerate. Some people appear to be using stevia with good results, from what I've read, but I don't know anything about it personally. Hope you find something that works for you.

17. Hello World

Dec 20, 2012
    Vancouver
    Transferred .2ml TFA Double R4Y to another bottle set into a pot of boiling water held by stats with lid open for about 15 minutes before the perfumy stench was finally nearly gone. Used 1 drop for 1ml (3%)... the liquid is now nearly clear, odorless and the flavor no longer gets stuck in my mouth and between the teeth. Taste is a little better too. However headaches continue. So, much improvement was noted, but something else still exists.

Thanks for the heads up ...

I had planned to look into that too. I first wanted to isolate what the problem was, then have an operating principle I can think with before I take any further steps. When I first received these flavors I thought they were disinfectant chemicals, not something one would put in his body ... lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.