The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Aluminum drip tips?? REALLY?

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette Accessories Discussion' started by J.R. Bob Dobbs, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    near buffalo, NY
    i know this is gonna sound odd but has no one taken into consideration the fact that aluminum oxide is seriously toxic? Toxic as in it can kill you? Don't get me wrong i like the idea, just scares me a bit to think about inhaling something through hot aluminum.

Now granted the aluminum would have to get rather hot to begin oxidizing but i would imagine over time the heat, or liquid can break down the anodized coating some of these appear to have and begin oxidizing the aluminum. The aluminum you are putting your lips on and inhaling through. I don't leave drip tips on to dry burn, but someone just might say to themselves "hey its metal its all good if it gets hot." Not every device could have this issue, but the ones with high voltage and low resistance attys would be the ones getting the hottest. Since aluminum transfers heat so well ...well you get the idea.

don't ask me where i saw these products, because it was from a vendor i trust and don't want to spread any bad press about anyone, neither should you. Especially if this is just me soaking up too many gamma rays through my tin foil hat.

2. Absintheur

Absintheur Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    north central Indiana
    Have you considered how much cookware is aluminum? I would think A stove would get it far hotter than a carto would...

3. Sadluckdame

Sadluckdame Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    U.S.
    Yes, I worry a great deal about any aluminum products and therefore I don't buy drip tips made of it either.
    Just in case.

4. tidegirl

tidegirl Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    No worries about listing the vendor- nearly every vendor I have seen who sells drip tips has a selection of aluminum drip tips.

My issue is not with what they release. After I accidentally scraped my teeth on one (just barely) I can't stand the thought of a metal drip tip any more. I can't stand metal on metal, or metal on teeth. The only metal cooking utensils I own are for the grill. I refuse to have them in my house. I also can't be anywhere near anyone eating who scrapes their teeth on their fork. I don't know how they can even stand it. :lol:

5. yzer

yzer Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    If you don't see any sign of pitting or tarnishing on the aluminum you are OK. Highly acidic or highly basic juices might do this but chances are you wouldn't want to vape them anyway.

I just prefer stainless steel drip tips, although it is a steel alloy that may contain chromium.

If I was worried about any of this I sure wouldn't be taking the risk of vaping to begin with.

6. SissySpike

SissySpike Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2012
    San Diego CA
    Im just speculating but Im pretty sure thats why ALU DTs atr anodized not just for the pretty colors. But anodizeation can be scratched or worn away with time Personally I just dont like them I use mostly stainless.

7. twisted1

twisted1 Moved On

Dec 12, 2012
    Yes.
    Re-line your hat please.

8. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    ahhhh but the one point every one misses is they are anodized, anodized alum has a completely different molecular composition on the surface that does not mimic alum oxide as long as it is not damaged in any way or scratched off ;)

9. dlmarti

dlmarti Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2012
    Central New Jersey
    I think your a little off target, aluminum oxide is a frequent additive in many of the things we ingest everyday. While it is technically toxic, it is damn hard to reach a toxic level.

Which is why so many of our medicines contain it, our water supplies, our cooking utensils, etc.

10. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    near buffalo, NY
    and they are coated with teflon, so it actually makes no difference.

after doing a little reading on the process of anodizing, supposedly it wont crack until temps get over 80 degrees Celsius. so that does seem to make it safer. Still though microfissures can lead to premature corrosion. I doubt that the drip tips are made to a quality standard that looks to avoid microfissures.

None the less its likely just as bad as using the plastic or steel tips i would imagine.

hmm, i wonder...are there drip tips made of pyrex?

11. Heavyrocker

Heavyrocker Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 14, 2012
    Toronto,Canada
  12. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    Tried both alum and SS DTs. Can't understand why anyone would want one, other than a fashion statement!

13. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    quality assurance aside anodizing is an all or none type of process, and yes they do make glass and pyrex tips as well as ceramic - some of them are awesome!

im kinda hooked on titanium and stainless myself.

14. Dave76

Dave76 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2012
    Wichita Falls TX
    As long as the drip tip isn't made of lead and there's no mercury in the juice, I have no problem. Personally, I like plastic or rubber drip tips as I tend to chew on them a bit.

15. subversive

subversive Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 26, 2011
    United States
    I have one of these : ) Slighty different looking. I doubt the aluminum drip tips get anywhere near hot enough to cause harm. I have a couple. I don't use them because I get a metallic taste, but they don't get hot.

16. frosting

frosting Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2011
    Connecticut
    I'm more annoyed with how metal clicks on your teeth and can really hurt.

*sucks on glow in the dark drip tip*

17. Unforeseen

Unforeseen Admin
    Commercial/Suppliers Asst. Manager
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Moved to Assorted PV Topics - E-Cigarette Accessories Discussion

18. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    This is not exactly true.

Bare Aluminum Alloys are Very Reactive and will Oxidize Readily at Everyday Temperatures. They are Extremely Poor choices for Anything that comes in contact with a Food or Beverage product.

19. twisted1

twisted1 Moved On

Dec 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.