Am I doing it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,
New member here and a new user of the e-cig.
I picked up a smokesation kit while on a cruise a few weeks ago and today started using the e-cig in earnest to quit smoking after 40+ years.

I would like to ask if I am vaping correctly.
I smoke Salem Ultra Lights 100 (2 left in the pack), but find that when I draw on the smokesation I get the menthol hit at the back of the throat (coughing), but don't get the fullness feeling in my chest.
I am using the 11mg cart at this time and want to move to the 6mg, but worry that it may not be enough, or am I not inhaling correctly.

Anyone got a puffing tips?

Thanks
Ron

Infernal2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2010
The Oil Coast, AL
I'm not sure who said it but the idea that sucking in your vapor more like you were sucking in a milkshake through a straw always works for me. It may also be your equipment as some experience a stronger throat hit than others... Lemme see what your kit is....

Ok, I checked, I don't have alot of experience with that particular model.. (Not even a hundred percent sure what it is really) but it looks akin to my first 801 which in my experience didn't have a ton of throat hit but had GREAT taste.

FireHorse

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Wyoming, USA
You're not going to get the same exact throat hit or feeling of fullness in your lungs with vaping as you do with cigarettes. You're not inhaling smoke from a burning tobacco and the other carcinogens when you vape. You're inhaling a vapor that is exactly the type of vapor that comes out of fog machines. Two completely different types of inhalants, so you're not going to get the same sensations. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you're used to it, you'll most likely find it more enjoyable than cigarettes.

Make sure you drink LOTS of water!!! That is a huge must when vaping because it dehydrates you very quickly!

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
Most of us vapers draw the vapor into the mouth first then inhale open mouthed into our lungs. Also, take a longer drag on the e-cig, like up to 5 secs. If your e-cig is working right, when you exhale from your lungs you should see a ton of vapor come out-as much or more than a ciggy. The nicotine molecules in tobacco smoke hit your brain faster than they do while vaping, so it takes a little more accumulation to get the same amount of nicotine in your body as a cigarette.

Ast_Isis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I was curious about this brand and discovered it is a 503 model from Bauway. Here is a thread about it: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/107613-great-review-smokesation-brand.html

Anyway, if you are getting a burnt taste, it could also be due to the cartomizer running dry.

As for how to vape, the best advice is to vape like you smoke. When I first started I would smoke and vape at the same time to not only to establish a new ritual but to mimic the mannerisms of smoking.

NOTE: Even smoking I drew the smoke into my mouth then my lungs. That is how I vape also.

Thanks for the responses folks.
I have been going all over the site since I found it this morning.
I smoke about a pack in a 24 hour period and I just wanted to quit smoking, but find that this is really something different.
Different flavorings, DIY, mods. this is really growing into something.
But hey if it healthier than real cigarettes, my wife is all for it....

Thanks again

FireHorse

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Wyoming, USA
Some people quit analogs (cigarettes) the very first day they start vaping. Others, they still smoke along with vaping. If you do have a smoke now and then, it's okay as long as you keep in mind that it's not something to beat yourself up about because every smoke you don't have because of vaping is helping your health!

I've been smoke free for 55 hours now and yes, I do think about that pack of smokes my husband has in the garage but I'm doing my best to resist having one. I know that after being smoke free for that many hours it's going to be the nastiest tasting thing in the world and I'd be back to square one, which I really don't want to do.

maclean

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2010
italy
Vaping takes a bit of getting used to. Partly the technique, partly settling on the right equipment, and partly deciding which juices you like. I've spent about $450 so far (been vaping for 6 weeks), and I'm now set up with enough stuff to last a good few months, plus plenty of flavors to experiment with. The way I see it, I'd spend that every month on cigs anyway, so I'm already ahead of the game.

Once you get the hang of it, I think you'll find vaping is more pleasant than smoking. And if you decide it's right for you, then you can afford to play around with new flavors and what-not. That's when it gets really interesting. LOL.

mac

The Fool

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
St. Louis
Hi Ron, Welcome to the forum. I too smoked for 40 years. I was a heavy smoker, 2 1/2 packs a day. The e-cigarette has allowed me to go for 9 months smoke free! The first couple of months were a challenge, because it IS different than smoking, but it is close enough that it can satisfy. The benefits are wonderful. Your lungs will clear, you will start to taste and smell things again. It's great.

Do yourself a favor and get back-ups of everything. These things can suddenly stop working. Good Luck.

Thanks.
I am going through a bit of information overload right now. There is soo much on just this forum and as far as the suppliers, there are tons of them making it very confusing.

At this time I have the kit with 2 batteries and 5 -6mg menthol and 4-11mg menthol. so hopefully that will last a few days.
Reading the forum makes me want to try some flavors, but there is just so much out there.

Any recommendation of flavors and suppliers?
I drink alot of coffee and like those type flavors

Thanks again

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread