Am I doing it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissGem

Oct 26, 2015
Miami, FL
So I have been frequenting a VaporShark Store for my juices and coils, etc. This is also where I purchased my first mod (eVic Vtc Mini). Since then Ive added the Crown Sub-Ohm tank, been using .5 SS Coils. Ive gone from 18 MG juices to now Im digging this Schooner by Ben Johnson Awesome Sauce @ 3MG. For a Newport smoker that was putting down a box a day, THIS.IS.HUGE! Not only that, but I got the hubbs on board with vaping and he was a 2 box a day kind of guy. I've learned that I dont like hot hits, Ive found out what a dry hit is (Eww) and contrary to what I originally thought, I dont like mint, candy or fruity juices as much as I like creamy and sweet juices. I do enjoy mouth to lung hits, and super vape production. Does that make me a cloud chaser? LOL. I dont think I am achieving it as much as I would like to with my setup. So far, Ive kept my watts between 40 and 50, my mod will go up to 60 but its too hot? On the nickel setting, it vaped awesome (for me) at 45 watts and 500 temp but I guess the nickel isnt good from what Ive read. Im on the lookout for a new setup, but I want to be a little better informed and I dont think the people at the VaporShark store, although always friendly and welcoming, are getting where Im coming from. I feel like Im being treated as a noob. So with that said, any advice?

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Sounds like you're doing it right to me.
I dont think I am achieving it as much as I would like to with my setup.
So what is it you want that you are not getting with your current setup?
So far, Ive kept my watts between 40 and 50, my mod will go up to 60 but its too hot?
Just because your mod will go up to 60 watts doesn't mean you have to. One way to cool down the vape is open up your airflow and direct lung inhale.

MissGem

Oct 26, 2015
Miami, FL
Sounds like you're doing it right to me.
So what is it you want that you are not getting with your current setup?
Just because your mod will go up to 60 watts doesn't mean you have to. One way to cool down the vape is open up your airflow and direct lung inhale.

Thank you, Susan. Im not sure, I just dont feel like Im producing enough vapor? Would a different coil or tank change that? Is it the watts? Do I need a different mod? Or should I stick to this a little longer? The temp where it is right now is pretty good, just a tad bit warm. Also, with the hubby vaping too, I think it would be a good idea to get another set up and leave mine as a backup. Mine is still a little strong for him in his opinion, I bought him the Kangertech TopBox Mini and he is happy with it.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Im not sure, I just dont feel like Im producing enough vapor? Would a different coil or tank change that? Is it the watts? Do I need a different mod? Or should I stick to this a little longer?
If you want more vapor:
  • use a higher VG juice
  • use a lower resistance coil at higher wattage
The problem you are going to run into is that at higher wattage it is going to give you a hotter vape (like you found when you tried your current coil at 60 watts) if you don't open up the airflow and direct lung hit it.

There is a firmware update to give you up to 75 watts with the eVic VTC Mini.
To use 75 watts (safely) you need a battery that is +20A CDR.

Last edited:

MissGem

Oct 26, 2015
Miami, FL
If you want more vapor:
  • use a higher VG juice
  • use a lower resistance coil at higher wattage
The problem you are going to run into is that at higher wattage it is going to give you a hotter vape (like you found when you tried your current coil at 60 watts) if you don't open up the airflow and direct lung hit it.

There is a firmware update to give you up to 75 watts with the eVic VTC Mini.
To use 75 watts (safely) you need a battery that is +20A CDR.

Thank you! I will look into the upgrade and get a new battery for it.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
the crown tank is really an exceptional tank - and with ss coils, can be run either wattage or power modes, which makes it that much more appealing

in regards to the mod, first off, there is a firmware update that makes the vtc mini capable of 75w, but the extra wattage is not really necessary with the crown - 45 watts or so seems to be the sweet spot (more or less) on those coils... depending on preferences, may be worth looking at some other mods - personally, i am LOVING my sigelei 213 - super light, dual battery box and not much bigger than the vtc mini, size wise (a little heavier with two batteries, but the original version with the zinc alloy frame/ carbon fiber is super light - they are putting out a fuchai version with a steel frame that will be a bit heavier) - in my experience, sigeleis are built like tanks and hold up very well... pic below of the sig 213 and vtc mini side by side...
2016-05-02%2019.25.22_zpst83f4emy.jpg

Reactions: MissGem

MissGem

Oct 26, 2015
Miami, FL
40-50 watts should be fogging out the room. Maybe not the fully opaque clouds, but a lot of vapor.

I'm wondering if your TC is kicking in. A TC mode that kills the power can sometimes produce less vapor than a straight Kanthal coil

This is where I have it right now. Maybe a lower resistance coil? How can I tell when its gone into TC mode?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 24

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
So far, everything seems to be fine. The others have posted good advise on the VTC and the Uwell crown... neither of which I have. I can give you some overall advice.

First, everyone's vaping preferences are different. what works for me may not work for you. Currently, I am rocking a 3.2 ohm coil, 12 watts on an old Nemesis with a kick. That is gear that is way outdated, but I am having fun with it. I do have bigger, badder gear, but for now, this is fun, so this is what I'm vaping, and that's the important part.

As far as how the shop is treating you, give them some feedback. Chances are, they've been vaping for quite a while. They've talked to so many people, and if you don't hang out at the vape shop all the time, you might be treated like a new person (I hate the word noob). After walking through the last 5 people, teaching them what vaping is and what it's about, then you walk up, and they're in the "new folk" mode. It's not you, it's just how the industry is. Also, use of the "lingo" might help them adjust to your skill.

As far as the nickel wire.... You'll hear a bad rap about almost any temperature wire... Nickel, Stainless Steel, or Titanium, they all have their ups and downs. But the truth is, none of it is substantiated and is theoretical. Titanium wire, for example, can produce Titanium Dioxide. They have found an increased risk of cancer in lab rats in one study, so it is viewed as a "possible" carcinogen. However, we use Titanium dioxide every day in gums, powdered doughnuts, and many other consumed products, and to date, no links of cancer have been made, even to those who are around it during packaging, etc... However, the words "possible carcinogen" have been said, so it has a bad rap. When it comes to Nickel, one guy produced a video, and sounds very valid in some points... However, to produce the dangerous chemical he's talking about, you would have to reach 1,500 degrees. That is way hotter than anyone would vape. And anyone who even attempts to vape something at that high of a temperature would get a mouth full of burned cotton and juice. His beef seems to be with temperature control as a whole. I personally wouldn't worry about it, but that's me. You can find bad studies and opinions on just about anything. But when they start banning dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO), I'll be the first to raise a glass, and drink some pure DHMO in protest.

Now, as far as your vapor preference, if you like a lot of vapor, but less heat, perhaps you should look into a device that has multiple higher ohm coils. Usually for one or two coil devices, the ohms rating tends to be fairly low. for my experience, I prefer two 1.4 ohm coils in my devices which come down to a .7 ohm setup. Not cloud chasing stats, but it produces a fair amount of vapor with little heat. This is why most people get into rebuilding, it allows them to tailor make their devices to their liking. If you're trying to go with a pre-coild setup, then you'll have to just search for the best tank that you can find. Just keep a list of what you liked about the tank, what you disliked, and see if you start seeing similarities. Bring a drip tip with you when you go to the vape shop, and ask to try some of the people's devices. This is a bit forward for some, but most people don't mind sharing as long as you have your own drip tip. keep track of what you like, and what you don't like. You may find something you like that you may never have thought of. And of course, ask questions... not just to the employees of the shop, but some of the customers as well.

MissGem

Oct 26, 2015
Miami, FL
So far, everything seems to be fine. The others have posted good advise on the VTC and the Uwell crown... neither of which I have. I can give you some overall advice.

First, everyone's vaping preferences are different. what works for me may not work for you. Currently, I am rocking a 3.2 ohm coil, 12 watts on an old Nemesis with a kick. That is gear that is way outdated, but I am having fun with it. I do have bigger, badder gear, but for now, this is fun, so this is what I'm vaping, and that's the important part.

As far as how the shop is treating you, give them some feedback. Chances are, they've been vaping for quite a while. They've talked to so many people, and if you don't hang out at the vape shop all the time, you might be treated like a new person (I hate the word noob). After walking through the last 5 people, teaching them what vaping is and what it's about, then you walk up, and they're in the "new folk" mode. It's not you, it's just how the industry is. Also, use of the "lingo" might help them adjust to your skill.

As far as the nickel wire.... You'll hear a bad rap about almost any temperature wire... Nickel, Stainless Steel, or Titanium, they all have their ups and downs. But the truth is, none of it is substantiated and is theoretical. Titanium wire, for example, can produce Titanium Dioxide. They have found an increased risk of cancer in lab rats in one study, so it is viewed as a "possible" carcinogen. However, we use Titanium dioxide every day in gums, powdered doughnuts, and many other consumed products, and to date, no links of cancer have been made, even to those who are around it during packaging, etc... However, the words "possible carcinogen" have been said, so it has a bad rap. When it comes to Nickel, one guy produced a video, and sounds very valid in some points... However, to produce the dangerous chemical he's talking about, you would have to reach 1,500 degrees. That is way hotter than anyone would vape. And anyone who even attempts to vape something at that high of a temperature would get a mouth full of burned cotton and juice. His beef seems to be with temperature control as a whole. I personally wouldn't worry about it, but that's me. You can find bad studies and opinions on just about anything. But when they start banning dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO), I'll be the first to raise a glass, and drink some pure DHMO in protest.

Now, as far as your vapor preference, if you like a lot of vapor, but less heat, perhaps you should look into a device that has multiple higher ohm coils. Usually for one or two coil devices, the ohms rating tends to be fairly low. for my experience, I prefer two 1.4 ohm coils in my devices which come down to a .7 ohm setup. Not cloud chasing stats, but it produces a fair amount of vapor with little heat. This is why most people get into rebuilding, it allows them to tailor make their devices to their liking. If you're trying to go with a pre-coild setup, then you'll have to just search for the best tank that you can find. Just keep a list of what you liked about the tank, what you disliked, and see if you start seeing similarities. Bring a drip tip with you when you go to the vape shop, and ask to try some of the people's devices. This is a bit forward for some, but most people don't mind sharing as long as you have your own drip tip. keep track of what you like, and what you don't like. You may find something you like that you may never have thought of. And of course, ask questions... not just to the employees of the shop, but some of the customers as well.

Thank you Neal. I have definitely been looking into the whole custom mod thing, but I dont think Im quite there yet. Im sure I will eventually get there, but for now since I am kicking a habit, I want something I can essentially grab and go... As far as the shops, I dont hold it against them. I would probably be over the 'new people' by now too, lol. I guess I just hate feeling like 'the new person' and I have no clue on the lingo much either. Thank you for your insight though, Ill definitely try being more open when in the shop and maybe asking the customers what they are into and what not.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
For "grab and go", there definitely are some good tanks out there. A general rule of thumb, is keep your tank upright, and don't keep it in a hot place (like your car)... especially during the summer. almost all tanks will leak a little if you turn them on the side for too long. This can be a problem if you put them in a purse... try putting it in a side pocket upright.

As far as what tanks to go to, nowadays you have a wide variety of good tanks to choose from. Use the specs to direct you towards tanks, but don't fully rely on them, there are so many variables that you can't just go by the numbers alone. If your tank has an option for different ohm coils, Since you're new, try a higher ohm coil as well. I have a Kanger subtank, and they offer a 1.2 .5, and some temperature control coils... find the one you like. Getting started is the hardest since you don't know what you like, you don't know how to get to the device you like, and your taste will change over time. Most people quitting smoking go for the higher nicotine, higher ohm coils, then slowly reverse it to the lower nicotine lower ohm coils. I started with a 1.8 ohm coil, 18mg, now my "standard" is a .7 ohm coil and 6mg. The long term vapers will generally be at the lower nic/ohm setting, so keep that in mind.

I was a smoker for 20 years. At the height of my smoking, I was smoking unfiltered cigarettes, a pack a day. AT one time, I would even buy Marlboro 100's, and rip the filter off. I tried several things later to lower it, going down to a very high filtered cigarettes. When I quit, I was just buying the cheapest (doral) and the strongest filter (ultralights). I keep telling everyone I quit accidentally... I started vaping not as a means to quit, but just out of laziness... I wanted something safer that I could "smoke" indoors. I went from a pack per day to 3 per day almost overnight... and it went less and less after that. It is a journey, and it will eventaully take some effort, but it is worth it.

Good luck...... geesh, looking at my banner... 20,000+ cigarettes...think of the time it would take to smoke that many... all that gained.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
This is where I have it right now. Maybe a lower resistance coil? How can I tell when its gone into TC mode?

That's standard power mode, yes? and your coil is SS (Stainless steel)?

(I could be wrong) but do you need to select SS? Click the fire button 3 times, use the right small button a scroll through the settings. BUT, forgive me, but does your 'version' of the eVic support SS temp control? It looks like the 'old' version to me, from the screen.

This could be relevant... or I am getting confused... :)

MissGem

Oct 26, 2015
Miami, FL
That's standard power mode, yes? and your coil is SS (Stainless steel)?

(I could be wrong) but do you need to select SS? Click the fire button 3 times, use the right small button a scroll through the settings. BUT, forgive me, but does your 'version' of the eVic support SS temp control? It looks like the 'old' version to me, from the screen.

This could be relevant... or I am getting confused... :)

There is no 'SS mode'. The power mode is for the SS. There is Bypass, Temp Ni, Temp Ti, and Power. This one is the newer eVic VTC Mini.

The Parameters:
Output Mode: VT-Ti/VT-Ni/VW/Bypass Mode
Output Wattage: 1-60W
Resistance Range: 0.05-1.5ohm for VT mode
Resistance Range: 0.1-3.5ohm for VW/ BYPASS/ START mode
Temperature Range: 100-315℃/ 200-600°F

Reactions: NealBJr

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
There is no 'SS mode'. The power mode is for the SS. There is Bypass, Temp Ni, Temp Ti, and Power. This one is the newer eVic VTC Mini.

The Parameters:
I'm confused a little. My evic mini vtc has an SS mode and the display is different so we don't have the same version. Sorry, can't help more as I don't use SS mode.

Reactions: dcfluegel

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.

The Parameters:

Let me explain a bit on how temperature control works.. maybe this will give you an idea of what is going on.

Temperature control (TC) uses what's called "non resistance" wire. That's not entirely true, since there is just a slight bit of resistance in the wire, but the resistance is extremely low. TC wire, when heated, will increase it's resistance as it gets hot. It does this in a very predictable manner. So, when you first put a TC coil in, you do it when the wire is at room temperature, then set a "base" for it to measure the increase/decrease in resistance... and temperature.

Variable Wattage uses a set wattage number, and will match the volts depending on what wattage/ohms your vaping device is set at. if the wire changes ohms, it might supply more/less volts to accommodate.

Now, SS is usually intended for Temperature Control. SS usually has a low resistance, but I believe it resists more than Nickel and Titanium. The only problem with Stainless Steel, is it's a mixture of metals. There are different mixes of iron/chromium/nickel depending on the grade. So, when you say "stainless Steel", you're referring to a wide variety of mixtures, with different properties. Most vape devices have settled on the 316L form of stainless, but I have heard of other grades being used.

So, does SS work in Bypass mode? Probably.. as long as the resistance is within the non temperature range. The problem with that, is the hotter the wire gets, the more volts the device will give. It will work for fairly short bursts.. but if you were chain vaping, I dunno how well it would work. I bet it gives a pretty warm vape. For me, I prefer Kanthal...I have some Nickel and Titanium in the mail as we speak... I bought too low of a gauge nickel wire to work in my mod unless I make a huge coil. (for my dual coil tanks, I would have to have two coils, 18 wraps each in a goblin mini (which is impossible)... to reach a .05 ohm setup.)

I hope that wasn't too technical, but my idea is to inform you so you can make an educated guess as to what's going on.

MissGem

Oct 26, 2015
Miami, FL
Have you tried direct lung inhaling? I don't have the crown but everything I read about it is that it's more suited for direct lung inhaling. Good luck finding the vape you enjoy!

Yes, I bought the crown for that purpose - direct lung hits. Otherwise it was too rough on my throat and I was coughing up a long if that makes any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread