Am I doing this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Haskell

Feb 20, 2019
I am new to vaping and am still a bit confused on what to expect from my equipment.

I started with a aspire breeze 1 and am using the 1.2 ohm coil with 45mg nic salt.

I just got an aegis legend with the aero tank with the .2 ohm supermesh coil.
The juice is 30mg free base nic.

The hit from aspire COMPLETELY different from the aegis.
The aspire vapor is hardly noticeable while the aegis is actually hot in temperature.

Is this normal for a box mod hit compared to an All in One unit?

The aeromesh coil recommended 60 to 80 watts but will function from 30 to 90.
I have decreased the watts to 45 and it did cool the hit down dramatically. I haven't adjusted the temperature control yet.

Any input or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks .

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
30 mg/ml FB nic in a subΩ DTL tank is going to be harsh. Pg/VG ratio will play a part in that too.
Most use 3 - 6 mg/ml, maybe a few as much as 12mg/ml FB nic in delivery devices like that.
Not saying you can't or shouldn't use high nic strengths but you may find you're getting too much nic or the harshness is more than you want.

Nic salt = very little to no throat hit / harshness.
Free base = more pronounced throat hit.

You gotta move a lot of air (hard, rapid inhale) through a DTL tank as the air flowing through the delivery device is the cooling system.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi Tim. Welcome to the ECF.

The two Set-Ups you have are kinda on Opposite Ends of the Vaping Spectrum. So it is Hard to compare them.

What you are probably seeing though is that a Mod where you can Adjust the Wattage gives you the Ability to adjust the Hit you get. That is why I would Always recommend that someone New to Vaping starts out by using a Variable Wattage (VW) Mod.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The two Set-Ups you have are kinda on Opposite Ends of the Vaping Spectrum. So it is Hard to compare them.

What you are probably seeing though is that a Mod where you can Adjust the Wattage gives you the Ability to adjust the Hit you get. That is why I would Always recommend that someone New to Vaping starts out by using a Variable Wattage (VW) Mod.
^ This. :thumb:

The Aspire Breeze is a "pod mod" primarily designed for beginner vapers transitioning from smoking. It's MTL (mouth-to-lung), more restricted air draw is similar to that of a cigarette. Pod mods typically use higher nicotine concentrations than other setups. Some beginners like pod mods because they are more "plug and play" from the beginning, but that convenience comes at the cost of expensive proprietary replacement pods and e-liquid, and cost more over the long run.

The Aegis Legend and Aero tank is a more "advanced" setup. With this setup you have "variable wattage", the ability to adjust your vaping experience on the fly. The Aero tank is a DTL (direct-to-lung), a more airier draw technique. Sub-ohm coils used in the tank arguably provide a much warmer (harsher?) vape to those not familiar with them.

Temperature control requires the use of either stainless steel or nickle coils; kanthal coils are not compatible with temp control, so you will need to find out what wire material your particular coils use.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Last edited:

Tim Haskell

Feb 20, 2019
First and foremost, I thank everyone for their rapid responses.

I am quitting a 30 year,1 pack per day, non-filtered cigarette addiction.

The 45mg salt nic is only in my aspire breeze "all in one" pod unit. The 30mg free base was leftover from me experimenting at finding a nic level that would make me forget about lighting a cigarette.
Yes, from what I have already learned 30mg nicotine is a very strong juice to be used in a AIO pod system, but more so in a BOX mod.

I guess what my first major question is,
Do box mods usually make a hotter temperature vapor that the pod mods do?

I have different nic levels in a small variety of free base juices. From 12mg up to 30mg. I will experiment with these more today.

So far I haven't gotten NIC SICK from any level that I have tried yet.

I suppose that I could also buy a small bottle of 6 or 8mg and see if that also hits hot through the aegis and if that nicotine level even registers with my body.

Thanks again for all of the responses.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
When I started vaping a few years ago the pod systems weren't on the market yet. I was coming off a pack a day cig habit. I started vaping with a pen style vape at 24 mg juice (1.6 ohm coil unit). After a while I started dropping the nicotine, down to 18 mg then down to 12 mg. When I was ready to drop down some more is when I switched to sub ohm vaping using 6 mg juice.

Sounds like you're concerned about 6 mg juice satisfying the nicotine craving and you're right to be concerned. If you're new to vaping 6 mg probably isn't going to cut it. 45 mg nic salt might be too much. You can vape straight juice, maybe 18 or 24 mg in that pod unit. If you like the 45 mg salt then stay with it. Nothing says you have to switch to sub ohm vaping right off the bat. Stay with whatever satisfies the cravings. The important thing is to stay away from the cigs.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I am new to vaping and am still a bit confused on what to expect from my equipment.

I started with a aspire breeze 1 and am using the 1.2 ohm coil with 45mg nic salt.

. I’m hoping that “30” is a typo and you meant to say 3mg nic
Yes they are. One is MTL, the other is strong DL
The aspire vapor is hardly noticeable while the aegis is actually hot in temperature.
. Yes it would be. Especially if you put 30mg juice in it. There’s so much nic there that you probably can’t take a full puff without your throat simply closing up. The result is there’s almost no air over the coil and the tank gets hot.
not if you do it right. It’s looking like you’re not doing that though. Also it’s not about box mod vs AIO. It’s about MTL vs DL
The aeromesh coil recommended 60 to 80 watts but will function from 30 to 90.
I have decreased the watts to 45 and it did cool the hit down dramatically. I haven't adjusted the temperature control yet.
That makes sense. You can take a bigger puff, and get more air into the atty. I’m not sure the temperature control will do any good. Which exact mode are you vaping in btw?
The different screens are different behavior modes for the device, not individual adjustments that affect everything simultaneously.

• Agree
Reactions: DeloresRose

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

With a VW Box Mod, or about any VW Mod, you can Adjust the Wattage to make a Very Hot Hit. Or you can Adjust the Wattage to give you a Cooler Hit. Most Pod Mod use a Fixed Wattage. So you Change the Hit by Changing the Resistance of the Coil in the Pod.

Think of a Pod Mod like a Standard Lamp in your house. If you want More Light, you switch to a Higher Wattage Light Bulb. Or if you want Less light, you switch to a Lower Wattage bulb. That's the Only way to do it.

Now think of that Same Lamp that has a Dimmer Switch on it. If you want More Light, you set the Dimmer Switch to a Higher Setting. If you want Less Light, you move the Dimmer Switch to a Lower Setting.

A VW Mod is very much like that Dimmer Switch.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

Not necessarily. It would depend on the tank and the coil. You can put a tank that's more like the pod mod on a box mod and get a similar vape. However, you've got quite a different setup there. A 0.2 ohm coil would tend to be a lot hotter than anything you'd get with a pod mod, especially if you were inhaling the same way.

First, here's some terminology. There are two vaping styles:

MTL - mouth-to-lung, you suck vapour into your mouth then inhale
DL - direct lung, you pull a full breath through the vape directly into your lungs

Pods tend to be MTL, while the Aero tank is DL. It'll have a much higher airflow, for starters, so the hot vapour is meant to be mixed with more room air as you inhale.

If you're wondering if you've done something odd to get such different experiences from the two systems, then worry no more. They're meant to be very different. Play around, see what you like and good luck.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yes and no.

Pod mods generally use higher ohm coils (~1.0 ohm or higher) and lower wattages (~under 15 watts). They have a "fixed" voltage output, meaning they have but one temperature setting.

Variable wattage box mods have multiple voltage output settings, so the user can adjust the coil temperature on the fly.

Variable wattage box mods can use either high or lower ohm coils, and can be used at either lower or higher wattage settings. The current "trend" with coils used in juice attachments for mods is for low (sub-ohm) coils and higher wattage settings. However, there are MTL tanks that use higher ohm coils and lower wattage settings such as the Aspire Nautilus and Innokin Zenith clearomizer tanks.

Your priority should be find out if you prefer the MTL high-ohm lower-wattage setting tanks or the DTL lower-ohm higher-wattage setting tanks. That will be your personal "sweet spot".

Last edited:
Reactions: greek mule

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
@Tim Haskell I can only give you my experience for you to judge. My sub ohm box mod setups use 0.15 ohm coils and 18mg/ml freebase. My pod uses 36mg/ml salt nic.

I was a 30 cig a day smoker so needed a lot of nic to start and then i've just stayed there (a lot of people start high then reduce) but there was only freebase in those days.

Salt nic is absorbed into the system much more quickly so feels (imo) more satisfying. In my pods I use 36mg/ml and that's seems fine for me.

The reason I went sub ohm in the beginning was due to a constant search for something a bit more satisfying with that throat hit that cigs used to give...you could only get that by going sub ohm. If you're interested in sub-ohming you'll need to get yourself a separate set up designed for that....I use a vaporesso polar and the cascade tank, a drag 2 with the uforce tank and various mech mods and squonkers.

So in short I use my box mods for my staple all day and just use my pod every now and then or when I need something stealthy at a works meeting or similar. Good luck to you :)

PS. Just remember that a high freebase such as 24-30 mg/ml in a sub-ohm device will definitely make you nic sick if you vape too much on it.

Reactions: Baditude

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
great, pods are meant for use nicsalt, wich also might have a higher value or concentration per ml, nothing to worry, pods are low power devices, most of them for MTL vaping (mouth to lung), they use that amount of salt nic to satisfy the need of nic with big concentrations on short hits, less vapor or cloud also...

quite normal, mesh coils tend to produce hotter vapor compared to pods or wire coil devices, the odd thing there, 30mg freebase nic liquid, that like being hit by a train...
i advice getting 06 or 03mg nic eliquid, VCT is one of my top choices

Wattage or temp control is also a feature in box mods, they let you play with watts or temp, for tempcontrol (TC) you must use Stainless steel, nickel or Ti Wires! for wattage mode you could use khantal, Stainless steel and nichrome80.

Regards,

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
@Tim Haskell

The reason I went sub ohm in the beginning was due to a constant search for something a bit more satisfying with that throat hit that cigs used to give...you could only get that by going sub ohm. t
I guess we all feel things differently because I find this completely opposite. For myself personally, i have tried to find something that mimics a cig as closely as possible over the years and found a mtl style mimics that throat hit closer then dtl. Perhaps you are simply talking about mtl vaping with a rebuildable sub ohm build and I'm way off? But I took it as dtl sub ohm vaping, and if so, I personally never found that no where near the intensity of a cig. Whenever I tried dtl, hi wattage, hi af vaping, It always lacked that intensity of a smoke, even with the same 24mg juice i vape in my rtas. I guess it's the wide open af that dilutes the TH. Now when i vape my mtl rtas at 20ish watts , I seem to get a much better, concentrated TH that totally reminds me of a smoke. Could also be how one actually smoked too? Personally I smoked mtl, but I guess if you smoked dtl, then perhaps I can see what your saying.

Reactions: DeloresRose

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I guess we all feel things differently because I find this completely opposite. For myself personally, i have tried to find something that mimics a cig as closely as possible over the years and found a mtl style mimics that throat hit closer then dtl. Perhaps you are simply talking about mtl vaping with a rebuildable sub ohm build and I'm way off? But I took it as dtl sub ohm vaping, and if so, I personally never found that no where near the intensity of a cig. Whenever I tried dtl, hi wattage, hi af vaping, It always lacked that intensity of a smoke, even with the same 24mg juice i vape in my rtas. I guess it's the wide open af that dilutes the TH. Now when i vape my mtl rtas at 20ish watts , I seem to get a much better, concentrated TH that totally reminds me of a smoke. Could also be how one actually smoked too? Personally I smoked mtl, but I guess if you smoked dtl, then perhaps I can see what your saying.

Yes I did wonder as i wrote if this was going to be taken the wrong way. I agree with you that the throat hit is not there so much but my smoking was not just about that. I used to inhale a lot of smoke even when using cigars so nicotine delivery was probably more important than throat hit.

My point was really advice to the op to achieve nic satisfaction YMMV :)

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Yes I did wonder as i wrote if this was going to be taken the wrong way. I agree with you that the throat hit is not there so much but my smoking was not just about that. I used to inhale a lot of smoke even when using cigars so nicotine delivery was probably more important than throat hit.

That makes sense.

I started mtl at 24mg on a 1.6 coil, and dropped nic, but later it just wasn’t cutting it. I did better at 6 mg sub ohm for a long time. All that was before salts came out.

And now, I sub ohm all day still, but when I need a boost, I’m using 25mg salts in a pod or mtl tank. Salts hit faster, I find, but are somehow not satisfying enough to use exclusively. There’s just something about horking down half a ml if juice in one lungful that takes me to my happy place.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

Gotcha

Reactions: charlie1465
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread