Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
I'm new to TC. Only using it for the last few days on my hcigar Vt inbox. Using a 0.9ohm SS coil, I'm finding my sweet spot somewhere around 330 F with excellent flavor, vapor and warmth. I'm using the default profiles except that I bumped preheat to 55W. I notice that most are setting temp. to 400-450, which makes me wonder if I'm missing something? Nothing to complain about. Actually happy to be enjoying the vape at lower temps, but just wondering why the big difference.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There are a couple reasons to use TC, but the original one was to avoid a potential safety issue.

That temperature is common because of a study done some years ago that claimed some devices started to emit unknown (but likely infintessimally small) quantities of more questionable chemicals when heated above that temperature. Keeping the temp below that insures that it does not happen.

there are some other reasons as well. 451f is the traditional flashpoint of cellulose, so it reduces wick burning. It can also affect the way some flavors behave.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm new to TC. Only using it for the last few days on my Hcigar Vt inbox. Using a 0.9ohm SS coil, I'm finding my sweet spot somewhere around 330 F with excellent flavor, vapor and warmth. I'm using the default profiles except that I bumped preheat to 55W. I notice that most are setting temp. to 400-450, which makes me wonder if I'm missing something? Nothing to complain about. Actually happy to be enjoying the vape at lower temps, but just wondering why the big difference.

It's not just you - I'm another low temp tc vaper. I'm mtl so the preheat is 17 watts:

teecee.jpg

wetclay

ECF Veteran
    Oct 4, 2010
    UAE
    It's not just you - I'm another low temp tc vaper. I'm mtl so the preheat is 17 watts:

View attachment 845261
    Down to 290 F today and still enjoying it!
    One advantage to TC I didn't foresee is that you can adjust nicotine delivery. I used to use 18mg in the morning and after meals and 12mg in between. Now I don't change the juice. Going down in temp. 40 points does the trick.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I was wondering why those numbers were so high. Then the 'f' clicked in. My usual range is 180 - 200 Celsius, so about 350 - 390 f.

I would make sure you've set your resistance when the coil is at room temperature, but as long as you have, there's nothing wrong with liking a temperature that happens to be somewhat lower than others prefer. In vaping, I often think that the 'right' way do to things is whatever way happens to suit you best - except where battery safety is concerned.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
    Oct 4, 2010
    UAE
    I was wondering why those numbers were so high. Then the 'f' clicked in. My usual range is 180 - 200 Celsius, so about 350 - 390 f.

I would make sure you've set your resistance when the coil is at room temperature, but as long as you have, there's nothing wrong with liking a temperature that happens to be somewhat lower than others prefer. In vaping, I often think that the 'right' way do to things is whatever way happens to suit you best - except where battery safety is concerned.
    I really don't see any difference if I lock the resistance or don't. Tried it both ways. It is not changing while firing in tc mode (as opposed to wattage). Must be locked I guess. I'm not sure, but maybe some mods/boards lock it automatically? Using a vt inbox with dna 75.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I really don't see any difference if I lock the resistance or don't. Tried it both ways. It is not changing while firing in tc mode (as opposed to wattage). Must be locked I guess. I'm not sure, but maybe some mods/boards lock it automatically? Using a vt inbox with dna 75.

Right, I forgot Hcigar used the DNA chip. With most other chips you have to lock it, but with DNA not only do you not have to, it's recommended that you don't. Actually, the DNA chip is probably part of the reason you're enjoying low temperatures while some others don't. I've found that lower-end chips tend to choke and produce nothing if the temperature setting is too low, but DNAs and Yihis work just fine at the same settings.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
    Oct 4, 2010
    UAE
    Right, I forgot Hcigar used the DNA chip. With most other chips you have to lock it, but with DNA not only do you not have to, it's recommended that you don't. Actually, the DNA chip is probably part of the reason you're enjoying low temperatures while some others don't. I've found that lower-end chips tend to choke and produce nothing if the temperature setting is too low, but DNAs and Yihis work just fine at the same settings.
    Thanks. Didn't know that. Useful info.
    Will soon show some love to the "until now ignored" pico squeeze 2 and be able to compare how it compares to a DNA. Supposed to be decent from what I read.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Depending on coil Im between 175c and 200c.
    I have it set for instant ramp up, so a SS 28ga .7ohm coil might have wattage set at 25w to 30w

You have good taste!;) Not only do I use the same temperature range, but my current coil preference is an SS316 28 ga seven wrap spaced coil - 0.7 ohms.

What setup are you using? At the moment, I've got a SXMini SL and a Jac Vapour DNA75, both with Kayfun Primes.

Reactions: stols001

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    With SS wire, it really isn't very accurate. But the higher temperature settings can also be the result of having the power set too high, so the temperature protects too much. With my Pico, I find it easily overcompensates, you might say it kind of bumps along instead of running smoothly. With the power about a watt higher than power mode (16 vs. 15), I've been using 370 and 380 F. You definitely do want to keep the actual temp. well below 450.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    I always question if TC is actually working properly when I see temperatures posted below 350F and people are enjoying the vape from it. SS wire can vary in alloy from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from batch to batch, so the default DNA wire profile doesn't always work the best with SS.

An improper cold resistance setting would be the first suspect.

Have you done a dry wick test to see if the coil will burn the wick?

wetclay

ECF Veteran
    Oct 4, 2010
    UAE
    I always question if TC is actually working properly when I see temperatures posted below 350F and people are enjoying the vape from it. SS wire can vary in alloy from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from batch to batch, so the default DNA wire profile doesn't always work the best with SS.

An improper cold resistance setting would be the first suspect.

Have you done a dry wick test to see if the coil will burn the wick?
    Not exactly. Will do at some point. But I did a dry burn at 590 before rewicking and the coil doesn't glow at that temp.
    Are you trying to suggest a different wire? How to overcome this issue with SS?

With SS wire, it really isn't very accurate. But the higher temperature settings can also be the result of having the power set too high, so the temperature protects too much. With my Pico, I find it easily overcompensates, you might say it kind of bumps along instead of running smoothly. With the power about a watt higher than power mode (16 vs. 15), I've been using 370 and 380 F. You definitely do want to keep the actual temp. well below 450.
    The power setting seems to represent wattage that is made available. The mod can apply wattage up to that set value as long as the set temp. is not exceeded. There might be an issue if it's too low, but no issue if set too high as only the required wattage to reach/maintain temp will be used.
    This is my understanding, but I might be wrong and can use some knowledge.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    The power setting seems to represent wattage that is made available. The mod can apply wattage up to that set value as long as the set temp. is not exceeded. There might be an issue if it's too low, but no issue if set too high as only the required wattage to reach/maintain temp will be used.
    This is my understanding, but I might be wrong and can use some knowledge.

That's how it should work and, with a good chip, how it does work. I think @mcclintock is experiencing the same choking I mentioned earlier with the ELeaf chip. DNA and Yihi are really in a class of their own when it comes to TC.

• Informative
    Reactions: wetclay

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Thanks. Didn't know that. Useful info.
    Will soon show some love to the "until now ignored" pico squeeze 2 and be able to compare how it compares to a DNA. Supposed to be decent from what I read.

If you haven't already, and I'm sure you have - install NFE Tools and Arctic Fox firmware. It does wonders for the TC accuracy of the Squeeze 2 :thumb:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    SS wire can vary in alloy from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from batch to batch

Well noted

Searching for Stainless Steel 316l TCR values comes up with everything from 0.00088 to 0.001. The reality is, unless the manufacture states the actual value (assuming that is even correct), we have no idea and our settings is nothing but a guess. The true TCR value of a metal does not change, it remains constant. If the metals true TCR value is lower than our settings, the actual coil temperature will be greater than what we prescribed.

If the metals true TCR value is higher than our setting, the actual coil temperature will be lower than what we prescribed.

So if one is using Temp Control to mitigate the nasties that form at higher temperatures, they should account for these unknowns and apply enough of a buffer

wetclay

ECF Veteran
    Oct 4, 2010
    UAE
    If you haven't already, and I'm sure you have - install NFE Tools and Arctic Fox firmware. It does wonders for the TC accuracy of the Squeeze 2 :thumb:
    I bought the squeeze on your recommendation. Thanks. I think vapesource is still running the promo. Will follow through with firmware update. Downloading right now.
    Latest version of the tools and first file in the list of AF. Then clicked update from file (the AF file). Is this the correct way to go about it? Little instructions on AF website. Pico isn't in the list of supported mods (when you open NFE tools). Though many eleaf mods are.
    The purple color bring out my feminine side :lol:
    But seriously, I'm still looking for a sleeve or something to cover up the purple, otherwise it will hard to take out in public.:w00t:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I notice that most are setting temp. to 400-450, which makes me wonder if I'm missing something?

Not much--some formaldehyde or perhaps acrolein (and other nasties) which start to appear at about 420-450° F. ;)
    Vape the way you like to vape. :toast:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread