Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    The power setting seems to represent wattage that is made available. The mod can apply wattage up to that set value as long as the set temp. is not exceeded. There might be an issue if it's too low, but no issue if set too high as only the required wattage to reach/maintain temp will be used.
    This is my understanding, but I might be wrong and can use some knowledge.

There is no issue when set too high only if it learns to ignore your setting. When you hit fire, at first there is nothing for it to go on but the setting or previous hits. That's the first symptom with the Pico, you can hear it taking off at that power and then pulling back. However the second issue is the rest of the hit is weaker. Even Evolv says it's really temperature protection not temperature control. It's not intended to try to make it always the same temperature. So it doesn't work well to intentionally set the power so it's always limiting or controlling. However the Pico throttles back on a dry wick very smoothly when set correctly. I think the scale of the entire process is based on the power setting. The only drawback is it doesn't produce extra power when the atomizer approaches flooded with lots of extra juice, but no one ever said it also senses unusually low temps and corrects those as well.

It might seem to those who run 50W on a 60W device you don't need to set the power, but when you run about 15W and the mod comes set to 75 you need to pay attention!

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I bought the squeeze on your recommendation. Thanks. I think vapesource is still running the promo. Will follow through with firmware update. Downloading right now.
    Latest version of the tools and first file in the list of AF. Then clicked update from file (the AF file). Is this the correct way to go about it? Little instructions on AF website. Pico isn't in the list of supported mods (when you open NFE tools). Though many eleaf mods are.
    The purple color bring out my feminine side :lol:
    But seriously, I'm still looking for a sleeve or something to cover up the purple, otherwise it will hard to take out in public.:w00t:

At least it ain't pink ;)

Here's how to install the software:

Screenshot_2019-10-20-13-11-01-382.jpeg

Then:
    Screenshot_2019-10-20-13-11-12-224.jpeg

Here's a link to the nfe tools manual

Once that is done, go back to NToolbox and click on Arctic fox configuration. Under the PROFILES tab, setup your TC.

Here's what I used (0.6ohm ss316l coil)
    Power: 25w (usually 20w in wattage mode)
    Preheat time: 1sec
    Mode: Temp control
    Coil Material: TCR 92
    Temperature: 380F

Temp control setup:
    PI Regulator: enabled
    Range: 0%
    P value: 500
    I value: 300

wetclay

ECF Veteran
    Oct 4, 2010
    UAE
    At least it ain't pink ;)

Here's how to install the software:

View attachment 845979
    Then:
    View attachment 845981

Here's a link to the nfe tools manual

Once that is done, go back to NToolbox and click on Arctic fox configuration. Under the PROFILES tab, setup your TC.

Here's what I used (0.6ohm ss316l coil)
    Power: 25w (usually 20w in wattage mode)
    Preheat time: 1sec
    Mode: Temp control
    Coil Material: TCR 92
    Temperature: 380F

Temp control setup:
    PI Regulator: enabled
    Range: 0%
    P value: 500
    I value: 300
    Many thanks. For some reason Google docs is refusing me access to the manual, so the screenshots are super-helpful.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    You have good taste!;) Not only do I use the same temperature range, but my current coil preference is an SS316 28 ga seven wrap spaced coil - 0.7 ohms.

What setup are you using? At the moment, I've got a SXMini SL and a Jac Vapour DNA75, both with Kayfun Primes.
    Today Im using a ss316l 28ga - .48 ohm 2mm id in a Savour mtl on a Vaporesso Armor Pro but generally I use Pico's with AF.
    I have a LV Mirage which I use occasionally. I just dont like the mod but it is good to use as a reference point.
    The Armour Pro and the Aegis Solo are both pretty good and accurate with TC, I think the Solo is pretty great at TC actually.

I just prefer a very cool vape, even if Im in wattage mode I set low. Its part of the reason why TC works so well for me. In wattage mode a coil that has quick ramp up time at 13w might be too warm a vape by the end of the draw. TC lets me set up for instant ramp up with out a rise in heat mid way through the draw and through to the end.
    I also use the CCV function on the Armour pro, the DVW mode on the Smoants and the Aegis Solos VCP mode. Those modes/functions are equally effective at keeping a cooler vape but for me TC is easier and quicker to set up.

I moved to DL and wide open airflow using the same coils I use for mtl to keep temp down. I was DL'ing at 9-14w and at about 190c. I dont like any heat in my mouth. After about 10months of DL I started to develop some ongoing pain and discomfort in the trachea so I moved back to mtl and after 2weeks that discomfort as gone.
    For me MTL is a hotter way to vape than DL and building coils that work at lower temps gets to a point of diminishing returns quickly.
    Using TC or CCV, DVW or VCP etc is kinda the same principle as sticking a governor/limiter on a diesel engine. Full torque and power with a constant speed, or in vaping a constant temp. I love it. It works for me
    I think a lot of people would find my way of setting up an atty too cool a vape.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    From this discussion, I have taken some useful tips. Thanks. But one question remains: How do I lock the resistance with an istick pico 75W when I use TC mode?

According to the interwebz - Hold the fire and up button simultaneously for two seconds. Do the same to unlock.

Just to stress…it is important that your coil is at room temperature for the initial reading and locking. If you have heated the coil prior, to remove hot spots as an example, it’s resistance would have risen in accordance to that heat. If the device reads the resistance while the coil is still warm/hot, then all further calculations for TC will be skewed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread