TC accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I have been using TC on smok Species, VV Pulse X, Topside, LS Paranormal and a Vaporesso Gen and can really notice the difference in board behavior....now I'm wondering just how accurate the selected temperature is when vaping. I like a medium warm vape and good flavor, but also wish to avoid the high 450+ temps that could produce bad elements. My perceived performance of my mods (0-10) are, DNA 9, Gen 8, Vandy Vape 7.5 and smok/Topside 4. My RBA's are mostly Profile and Kylin mix with a few MTL's Ares, Galaxies and all are 28ga 316SS or OFRF Nextmesh SS mesh.
The DNA and AXON chip are excellent, both use default TCR setting, however on the other mods I tweak the TCR to achieve a vape similar to my DNA chip using similar atty's. Preheat is usually set about 25% above what I would use in power mode.
I am not sure just how accurate the DNA Escribe data is...I assume it to be fairly good....using the DNA as a target I set the TCR values on the VV, Smok and Topside to give similar vape and in some cases have reached TCR135 on the Topside and Smok mods (much higher than default). This can be a bit of a worry if you are relying on the mod display to keep temps below 450F. I suppose in the end one could just trust you mouth to insure a safe vape.
Good to hear what vapers experience is with temp accuracy.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Yep agree with you completely - my first TC experience was TCR mode on the Asmodus Colossal. And it handled it amazingly.

I then tried my two Vaporesso mods which use the OMNI 4 chip and the OMNI 4.2 chip - they also handled it amazingly.

Finally and most recently I'm using an Eleaf Pico Squeeze 2 with Arctic Fox in TCR mode. Vapes amazing.

My preference is the Asmodus Colossal, followed by pico squeeze 2, followed by Vaporesso mods. But there is very very little between these mods, with regard to their TC performance :thumb:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I have been using TC on Smok Species, VV Pulse X, Topside, LS Paranormal and a Vaporesso Gen and can really notice the difference in board behavior....now I'm wondering just how accurate the selected temperature is when vaping. I like a medium warm vape and good flavor, but also wish to avoid the high 450+ temps that could produce bad elements. My perceived performance of my mods (0-10) are, DNA 9, Gen 8, Vandy Vape 7.5 and Smok/Topside 4. My RBA's are mostly Profile and Kylin mix with a few MTL's Ares, Galaxies and all are 28ga 316SS or OFRF Nextmesh SS mesh.
    The DNA and AXON chip are excellent, both use default TCR setting, however on the other mods I tweak the TCR to achieve a vape similar to my DNA chip using similar atty's. Preheat is usually set about 25% above what I would use in power mode.
    I am not sure just how accurate the DNA Escribe data is...I assume it to be fairly good....using the DNA as a target I set the TCR values on the VV, Smok and Topside to give similar vape and in some cases have reached TCR135 on the Topside and Smok mods (much higher than default). This can be a bit of a worry if you are relying on the mod display to keep temps below 450F. I suppose in the end one could just trust you mouth to insure a safe vape.
    Good to hear what vapers experience is with temp accuracy.
    My data is that EVOLV invented and did all the actual research for TC, and every other company reverse engineered it either from them or from another group that had reverse engineered it from them. This is why DNA TC in general works better than everyone else’s. Everything else is either a copy or a copy of a copy, or sometimes even a copy of a copy of a copy.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2018
    Perth, Western Australia
    My data is that EVOLV invented and did all the actual research for TC, and every other company reverse engineered it either from them or from another group that had reverse engineered it from them. This is why DNA TC in general works better than everyone else’s. Everything else is either a copy or a copy of a copy, or sometimes even a copy of a copy of a copy.[/QUOTE

I'm guessing that the boards use voltage drop across a resistance to measure temp change, this requires very temperature stable components...thinking that choice of components and quality plays a big role in accuracy. Probably one reason why DNA boards cost more.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    My experience is with Arctic fox and topside.

With either, I test the coil when dry burning, and adjust the TCR value so 600°F is a faint glowing orange.

Not exactly scientific, and an infra red thermometer is on my wishlist, but I find the topside is fairly accurate comparatively, so long as the wattage setting isn't overly aggressive.

My SS316 coils usually end up in the 100-112 range.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Yes I must say I don't think I can tell much but I am MTL vaper who really only uses it sporadically .{

DNAs seem more accurate to me but I think some other non TC boards do a pretty decent job. It's just not my passion however, I doubt this is much use to you.

Anna
    This is true. There is such a thing as sufficient quality. The reverse engineered stuff does work.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2018
    Perth, Western Australia
    I am concerned with accuracy...precision of +- 2 degrees will be good enough to insure I would not exceed a safe vape temp. I did view a vid where they used a thermocouple to check coil temp...a thermocouple junction is a bit slow to respond to variations. I vape for1.5 to 3 secs normally so a fast response is desirable. I have ordered a IR meter with a 0.5 sec response and a precision of +-0.5 deg...12$ ex-China= peace of mind. I will also be able set my TCR to suit each mod setup. Actually this could be fun.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    I am concerned with accuracy...precision of +- 2 degrees will be good enough to insure I would not exceed a safe vape temp. I did view a vid where they used a thermocouple to check coil temp...a thermocouple junction is a bit slow to respond to variations. I vape for1.5 to 3 secs normally so a fast response is desirable. I have ordered a IR meter with a 0.5 sec response and a precision of +-0.5 deg...12$ ex-China= peace of mind. I will also be able set my TCR to suit each mod setup. Actually this could be fun.
    That sounds like a nice IR sensor. Link please?

ScratchnSniff

Jun 21, 2014
    Thailand
    While I have a bit of a preference for DNA chipsets, I have good TC vape experiences with a small handful of different mod manufacturers + chipsets.

In terms of perceived accuracy and smoothness, Aegis Solo seems really good, Aspire provided a nice TC vape with their Puxos mod (Didn't like so much plastic in the construction though), the Innokin Proton quite good and so is the Luxe S mod from Vaporesso (The Gen mod a different story due to it reading resistances inaccurately and a spike in power at start of vape. The inaccurate resistance makes for too hot a vape using default profiles and TCR values so I had to lower them quite a lot. Hope they get it fixed in firmware and have it work as well as the Luxe S). Also have had some good results with a few mods using Yihi chipsets.

Lesser performing in my experience: A few of the Eleaf/Joyetech/Wismec did an OK job and Arctic Fox firmware helped some. Had a Minikin V2 that for some reason often required adjusting the temp value and if I remember correctly had some pulsing. I gave up on Smok a couple/few years ago as I found their TC pretty atrocious. Wonder if they improved it?

The IR sensor does sound like a fun thing to use. Let us know what you find!

Last edited:

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland
    I vape in TC mode and used a DNA and a Pico 75 mod for about a year. The Pico is running the Arctic Fox firmware and TC always worked fine with the default TCR values, just like the DNA. Then, recently, I got a Teslacig WYE, and on this mod, I’m getting very different temperatures with the same settings, and I had to set it to very high or very low temperatures to get the vapor I wanted. This bugged me at first, and I fiddled with the TCR value to get it as close to what I’m used to as possible, but after a few tries I left it the way it was. It doesn’t really matter what temperature is shown on the display, I can feel if it’s too hot or too cold. I just want it to maintain a temperature I like, I don’t have to know how hot the coil actually is - the vapor temperature will be different anyway.

• Agree
    Reactions: Jebbn

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON

Interesting approach and I would be very curious as to how you make out with that. How would you measure the coil temperature while vaping? Air flow through the atomizer has a great influence. But agree that would be fun to toy with

I do not use a final temperature as it is displayed on the device as a goal when setting up TC - but view the rise in resistance of the coil while operating within its environment. Given many devices do not display live resistance means I exclusively only use DNA for Temp Control. Airflow through an atomizer not only influences the temperature of the coil, but also the temperature of the vapor. One may perceive the temperature of the vapor as being within a safe limit, but what is the temperature of the coil? That’s where the nasty stuff appears (so they say ;) )

By viewing the rise in resistance, one can calculate a predicted temperature of the coil and even factor in different TCR values. The metals we use are alloys that can allow a variance in materials which will influence their actual TCR value. On paper that variance in TCR values may not seem like much, but once everything else is factored in, that difference could be enough to keep within a presumed safe temperature.

As an example: A SS316L 0.5 ohm coil that rises by 0.1 ohms at 25°C room temp while taking a typical draw, one can calculate it’s temperature by using multiple TCR values. With 0.00094 we end up at 238°C, but with a value of 0.00088 we end up at 252°C, which is claimed to exceed safe limits. Despite that I do not know the true TCR value of this SS316L coil, by knowing its live resistance I can set my temperature so that its rise in resistance does not exceed the presumed safe temp of the lowest possible TCR value.

Knowing the rise in resistance can also assist in mitigating dry burns. If that same 0.5 ohm SS316L coil is only rising by 0.08 ohms (as an example), but one has set a TCR value of 0.00088 and a goal temp of 220°C, then the device will not scale back the power appropriately when the wick is drying out. Your goal temperature has exceeded the calculated temperature based on that TCR value (+0.08 ohms at 25°C room temp with a TCR of 0.00088 = 209°C).

All of this does not mean one cannot achieve a satisfying vape by not knowing the actual rise in resistance - but if one is looking for precision and accuracy, I personally feel knowing the live resistance is extremely important.

Reactions: villavi3

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2018
    Perth, Western Australia
    My interest is coil temp or point at which Juice becomes vapor. The meter can see down the chimny or tip....I hope. I can possiibly apply pressure as oppose to suction, not perfect, but I can use Escibe as a reference. A side benefit would be if I could reach a reasonable TCR value for my mods, using your throat for temp testing would not be my choice. Escribe can log fast temp/volts response....but oly for DNA chips.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    My interest is coil temp or point at which Juice becomes vapor. The meter can see down the chimny or tip....I hope. I can possiibly apply pressure as oppose to suction, not perfect, but I can use Escibe as a reference. A side benefit would be if I could reach a reasonable TCR value for my mods, using your throat for temp testing would not be my choice. Escribe can log fast temp/volts response....but oly for DNA chips.

I would be very interested in your methods and findings. Please report back

And to add, DNA’s or any device does not log or take temperatures, they make predicted calculations based on your live resistance toward a specific TCR value.

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    In my limited TC experience Smoant seems to do a decent job of it as well. It one of the few cheaper mods that accomplish this. I’m not an expert when it comes to TC but when I’ve set up my Smoant mods to do TC I’ve been happy with the results and it’s dry hit protection. Then I usually get bored and just go back to power mode because it does the job. Just thought I’d mention Smoant since it wasn’t so far. I’ll be watching this thread to see Coolsiggy’s results, very interested in his method & findings.

Reactions: HigherStateD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread