Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
As someone who works on the electrical grid, I beg to differ. But I'm not going to get into it here.

As someone who worked in coal, I know the effect of tax credits for some energy companies and the attempt to bankrupt others. But yeah, not for discussion here....

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
...I still think that tax revenue from BT should be used to research e-cigs, and to give tax incentives to new e-cig startups.

Actually, now that I think about it....if tax credits were given year by year to e-cig companies or e-liquid companies that could raise the bar in verifiable safety, that'd be pretty cool. No one would be forced -out- of the market, and -small- but -innovative- companies would actually receive short term aid for bringing safer products to market.
IMHO if the market was to be left alone the industry by itself just through
natural progression in 5 years would accomplish things in terms of all around safety
that the FDA,CDC,EPA plus all the alphabet.orgs and their University cohorts
could do in 30 years.

I personally believe vaping when compared to smoking is a safe viable alternative.
The problems lie more with the implementation of the concept then in the concept
itself.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
IMHO if the market was to be left alone the industry by itself just through
natural progression in 5 years would accomplish things in terms of all around safety
that the FDA,CDC,EPA plus all the alphabet.orgs and their University cohorts
could do in 30 years.

I personally believe vaping when compared to smoking is a safe viable alternative.
The problems lie more with the implementation of the concept then in the concept
itself.
:2c:
Regards
Mike
In fact, any suggestion that the industry needs more safety is a solution in search of a problem. The industry, through self regulation, and natural demands of the marketplace, has a safety record better than virtually any other consumer product group. It is difficult to come up with even anecdotal examples of actual harm done to vapers.

The only exception is the mech mod problem. I'm not sure if the incidents of exploding and venting mech mods is any worse than the cell phone/tablet/laptop market based on number of devices outstanding but I do believe there could be a case for regulating what is essentially a high power electrical device sold without any safety fuses or other protection circuits. That does run counter to commonly accepted electrical engineering principles.

But when when limiting the discussion to regulated mods, this industry has an amazing track record. It is difficult to argue that additional safety is even needed. Better safety is always a lofty goal, but that is very different than "needed". The vaping industry is a shining light illustrating what can be done without gov't interference.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The only exception is the mech mod problem.

Straight mech mods have been around for years. 90% of the problems have been with hybrid mechs, where there's a direct topper connection to the battery top and then people who don't know the possible problems that can have.

Reactions: Rossum

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Straight mech mods have been around for years. 90% of the problems have been with hybrid mechs, where there's a direct topper connection to the battery top and then people who don't know the possible problems that can have.
I have heard that suggested many times, but have never seen such info confirming that 90% number in one place, in a well researched format. It is my understanding that in the majority of cases, we really don't know why any particular mod vented, based on sketchy media reports.

To be clear, I often see comments in posts reporting venting events to suggest things like "it must have been a hybrid" and etc., but rarely if ever any conclusive evidence, simply because the media does a good job of preventing such information from being disseminated (for whatever reason, those reasons irrelevant to the discussion at hand).

What I think we do know is that if there were no mech mods of any type, there would be very, very few reports of venting mods, relative to the number we have.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
that 90% number in one place, in a well researched format.

Yeah, that was a guess just from the article posted here :- ) @5% were just batteries in the pocket lol.

And you're right - the media is terrible with actual data but here and at reddit, people have been able to nail down many (not all) of the mods involved and invariably they involve hybrids. Going back to the first 'Screwdriver' and the Joyetech mechs as well as REO's and many more, we've rarely (I've never) seen such accidents. Only in recent years with the 4niner mod and similar hybrids have we seen this and even then, it's someone who didn't know what they had - used a regular/flat 510 connection, etc. etc.

Reactions: Rossum

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Yeah, that was a guess just from the article posted here :- ) @5% were just batteries in the pocket lol.

And you're right - the media is terrible with actual data but here and at reddit, people have been able to nail down many (not all) of the mods involved and invariably they involve hybrids. Going back to the first 'Screwdriver' and the Joyetech mechs as well as REO's and many more, we've rarely (I've never) seen such accidents. Only in recent years with the 4niner mod and similar hybrids have we seen this and even then, it's someone who didn't know what they had - used a regular/flat 510 connection, etc. etc.
I see a lot of questionable stuff repeated endlessly here by well meaning people. Which is why I can't accept that 90% number without coherent disclosure of the basis of those opinions. Not saying it's wrong, just not terribly reliable at face value.

Reactions: Max-83

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I see a lot of questionable stuff repeated endlessly here by well meaning people. Which is why I can't accept that 90% number without coherent disclosure of the basis of those opinions. Not saying it's wrong, just not terribly reliable at face value.

Agreed. I could scan the Media forum for the stuff - just not up to it right now - I bet I'd be close.... but yeah, a formal study would be nice.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Agreed. I could scan the Media forum for the stuff - just not up to it right now - I bet I'd be close.... but yeah, a formal study would be nice.
I'm trying to suggest that if the mech mod community really wants to seriously advocate any degree of safety for 510 topped mech mods they need to compile this data.

Reactions: Kent C

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
@VNeil @Kent C
On a brighter note last weekend when I was listening to the scanner
there was a reports of an e-cigarette(there words not mine) going
off in someones pants packet. Fire and ambulance responded to treat
leg and hand burns.

The good news? It never made the news.