American Medical Association (AMA): ‘Electronic Cigarettes Are Drug Delivery Devices’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
The American Medical Association (AMA) has joined the ban wagon.

CHICAGO – New policy adopted today by the American Medical Association (AMA) recommends that electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) be classified as drug delivery devices, subject to the same FDA regulations as all other drug delivery devices. Additional policy adopted supports prohibiting the sale of e-cigarettes that are not FDA approved.
“Very little data exists on the safety of e-cigarettes, and the FDA has warned that they are potentially addicting and contain harmful toxins,” said AMA Board Member Edward L. Langston, M.D. “Our new policies can help ensure that e-cigarettes are properly classified and regulated.”
[...]
“Because e-cigarettes have not been thoroughly tested, one cannot conclude that they are less harmful or less dangerous than conventional cigarettes,” said Dr. Langston. “The fact that they come in fruit and candy flavors gives them the potential to entice new nicotine users, especially teens.”
The AMA’s new policy is a result of a report looking at the current regulations and potential health impacts of e-cigarettes discussed this week at the AMA Annual Meeting in Chicago.

Source: AMA Press Release June 14, 2010

Shad0w

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2010
Trapped by Schrödinger's cat....
I can see this getting ugly very quickly....

I am honestly disappointed. If all their complaint are regarding lack of research and trials, why not DO some?
Seems this is just going to feed the hype.
Now we face the potential risk of not only having the "Smoker" stigma attached to us, but the "Druggie" stigma as well.

Posidon

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
My comment to them on facebook.

I have been smoke free since September because of the electronic cigarette. I guess I'll go back to smoking regular cigarettes until more research is done. It's too bad though, my car finally stopped smelling like smoke and my cough/phlegm are totally gone. Does anyone know if Chanrix has any side effects? I could also try Nicorette gum, does anyone know what the success rate of that is?

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I found a link to their facebook page. The third post down links to this e-cig article.

Login | Facebook

Left this comment on their Facebook page. I checked out their rules for commenting and don't believe this violates any of them.

How many electronic cigarette users were surveyed for the report on which this policy is based? How many doctors were asked to report the effects on the health of their patients who switched to this life-saving alternative? My guess would be the answers to these questions are "None" and "Zero." Surveys of actual users show that ~80% of users have... See More replaced all their tobacco cigarettes with inhaling vaporized nicotine and that 90% of users report improved lung health and markers of cardiovascular health. That's a phenomenal success rate compared with the FDA products and a strong indication of product safety. The AMA should be recommending that the FDA desist from attempts to regulate the products under FDCA. Instead the AMA should urge FDA to regulate the products under the Tobacco Act as alternatives to tobacco smoking

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
What can we expect? The AMA admits that 20% of their funding comes from business related donations and 50% from advertisers in their journal. Pharmaceutical companies make up the brunt of both avenues. In the 60s, even after the Surgeon General had severely questioned the safety of cigarettes, the AMA was helping Philip Morris spin the fact that they had substituted Diethylene Glycol for Glycerin in the cigarettes as a safer alternative, and was excepting large amounts of advertising from them. The AMA has never actually been interested in the health of their doctors' patients.

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
The AMA has always been in cahoots with the Axis of Evil (ALA, AHA, ACS, etc).
Off topic but your post made me realize something: The axis organizations appear to have an affinity for the letter "A". Interesting. Is this a marketing technique? Do alphabetically ahead acronyms acheive accelerated audience acceptance?

Might they just as well use the acronym AAA? (Arbitrarily Arranged Acronym, with the words in any order of course. )

bluebottle7

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
If the AMA was serious about protecting our health wouldn't you think that they'd actually take a serious look at these and do some real studies as opposed to just saying "We don't know enough about them." and pretty much just dismissing them? These won't be accepted until there is either heavy taxation on them or a large enough lobby to pump some serious $ into the political system. I'm actually happy that right now they are staying 'under the radar' for the most part, because right now these products aren't horning in too much on the tobacco industries profits. You can bet that if / when Phillip Morris or RJR makes an e-cig they'll be sure to find a way to ruin them just like they ruined snus and natural tobacco with their additives.

vikings

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Malaysia
I am always under the impression that if something is potentially good, and we don't know enough about it, it would make perfect sense to try and find out as much as we can.

It is extremely pitiful to see how these so-called expert bodies and authorities are so willing to succumb to being collectively stupid with their comments. If they're going to say something, at least come up with something new. I've lost count of the number of times I've read about how cotton candy flavored e-juice will cause every single 10-year-old in the world to be addicted to nicotine.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if there is so much 'genuine' concern for the health and well-being of the general population, the solution is simple - ban tobacco/tobacco smoking. Funny how money can control our leaders into making strange decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread