An alternative cotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
A variety of facial cotton contain chemical additives that you would not want to vape. Some may list them on the package other not. It is very easy to get Muji if you want a low cost alternative. I often use it. I find many of the "premium" cottons no better than Muji. Some are better but they cost much more. For example Kendo is much more burn resistant than Muji but it does not work well in all atomizers. It is harder to wick. You will have to decide for yourself or go through dozens of reviews.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Wicking is one of if not the most important part of rebuilding. You may have to try a couple of wicking materials to find what works best for you. For myself, I have started using cotton bacon v2 and find it works best for me. Careful of buying just any generic cotton as mentioned above that may have additives.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I generally stick to cotton as my preferred wicking material. I usually go with cotton pads(KGD, Muji, Geekvape even makes a pretty decent one but doesnt last very long) but Ive always got some Cotton Bacon V2 on hand as well. I agree with staying away from anything generic or unknown, its better to stick with organic, unbleached cotton.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I used to use KGD. Still have a box around. But as a long time cotton user, lately I prefer either Cotton Bacon V2, or especially Native Wicks Platinum.
Same here. I love Native Wicks Platinum followed by Cotton Bacon, KGD and Muji. I like rayon as well....

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Same here. I love Native Wicks Platinum followed by Cotton Bacon, KGD and Muji. I like rayon as well....

I like rayon in some attys; particularly ones that I run single Z coils; like Hadalys and Stumpys. Not so much in smaller attys that I run duals, like the Nuppins.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
@BreSha6869 @Rule62 What is the difference between Native Wicks Platinum and Cotton Bacon V2? I was thrilled to have found Cotton Bacon, but haven't tried NWP, but now thinking of getting some from eBay based on you both thinking it better.

Not much difference, IMO. I get a little less waste with NWP. It comes in a 'rope', sorta like rayon does. So I just cut off a short piece to work with. I don't notice any difference, as far as flavor with the NWP or CB. I just like working with the NWP a little better.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
You go ahead and buy whatever cotton your wanting to try, there are all sorts of choices from cheap to expensive. After you get tired of rewicking your atty every other day cause the cotton poops out, burns or begins to taste funky. Sooner or later you'll decide to try rayon/cellucotton. After the initial "OMG this stuff is great" settles down, you notice its been heck of a lot longer between rewickings, the flavor has improved and it takes a lot more to poop out and/or burn the rayon. Were not just typing rayon is superior just to hear ourselves type....its a superior wicking material that some people just take longer than others to discover. Once discovered you'll never look back. :)

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
You go ahead and buy whatever cotton your wanting to try, there are all sorts of choices from cheap to expensive. After you get tired of rewicking your atty every other day cause the cotton poops out, burns or begins to taste funky. Sooner or later you'll decide to try rayon/cellucotton. After the initial "OMG this stuff is great" settles down, you notice its been heck of a lot longer between rewickings, the flavor has improved and it takes a lot more to poop out and/or burn the rayon. Were not just typing rayon is superior just to hear ourselves type....its a superior wicking material that some people just take longer than others to discover. Once discovered you'll never look back. :)
For me I need to rewick about every other day because of my coils gunking and needing a dry burn so no big deal for me to change cotton just as often. I did try rayon and have some available should I decide to use it again. I personally didn't care for it, but that's just me. I may give it another go in the future, but happy with my Cotton Bacon for now. :)

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
You can try whatever you want within reason. I have read all kinds of experiments with different fibers. Started with organic cotton balls. Tried kgd and hated it. Experimented with cotton bacon samples. But one puff from an rda wicked with rayon and I have never looked back. I almost exclusively use rdas so that may slant my opinion. Long lasting and a dry hit is t nearly as disgusting. Cheap too, been using the same box for 2 years. Have at least 3-4 years left.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

I guess I missed the 'OMG, this stuff is great' part. I've used rayon. It's fine. Maybe a little fussier than Cotton Bacon or Native Wicks to work with. I use it sometimes. But it doesn't make me excited about it enough to swear off cotton.

Reactions: Ryedan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I guess I missed the 'OMG, this stuff is great' part. I've used rayon. It's fine. Maybe a little fussier than Cotton Bacon or Native Wicks to work with. I use it sometimes. But it doesn't make me excited about it enough to swear off cotton.

It is a lot fussier than cotton to wick with, that I will agree with. Many like me also with their first run using rayon wicking and wicking your atty like you did with cotton, there is going to be no OMG moment, just a wonky plastic breakin taste that does go away after a while. Rayon does have to be quite tight in the coil, almost to the point of distorting the coil, thinning about 1/3-1/2 the tail away and there should hopefully be a OMG moment then. If you get a breakin taste with rayon then your atty is wicked wrong, prolly too loose.
Find what works best for you, as long as your enjoying the vape there is no need to change.

Reactions: David Wolf

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
It is a lot fussier than cotton to wick with, that I will agree with. Many like me also with their first run using rayon wicking and wicking your atty like you did with cotton, there is going to be no OMG moment, just a wonky plastic breakin taste that does go away after a while. Rayon does have to be quite tight in the coil, almost to the point of distorting the coil, thinning about 1/3-1/2 the tail away and there should hopefully be a OMG moment then. If you get a breakin taste with rayon then your atty is wicked wrong, prolly too loose.
Find what works best for you, as long as your enjoying the vape there is no need to change.

As I mentioned earlier, I use rayon in attys that I run single Z coils, more specifically, with heavier wire. I use 24g 316L SS in Stumpys and Hadalys. The coils are sturdy enough to wick with rayon, nice and tight, without disturbing the coil.
However, on some smaller attys, like the Nuppin, where I use 28g 316L duals, the coils are more fragile and easier to disturb; so I use loose wicked cotton. I am a squonker, exclusively, so I'm not real concerned with the juice holding capacity of the wicks, in the smaller chamber, dual coil attys.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
@BreSha6869 @Rule62 What is the difference between Native Wicks Platinum and Cotton Bacon V2? I was thrilled to have found Cotton Bacon, but haven't tried NWP, but now thinking of getting some from eBay based on you both thinking it better.
I am exactly like @Rule62.

I like the "rope" format that NW Platinum comes in over Cotton Bacon. Easier to work with and less waste.

But honestly, the difference in taste is nothing to get excited over as they are very similar. Can't go wrong with either. I can say that about Muji and KGD as well.

If you want to try NWP, order a combo pack from Lightning Vapes. $5-6 INCLUDING 100ft of wire. Best deal on Native Wicks I have ever seen and I have bought 6-8 packs of it with various LV wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread