An MTL Vaping Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudyFutures

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2017
I am trying to get the best flavor with the best single coil build.

Objectives:
  • Flavor
  • Smooth Vapor

Materials:

I have noticed that either depending on the diameter of the coil or the spacing of the coil wraps You get a different kind of vape hit. It seems like higher gauge wire produces a smoother hit. And then couple that with a small diameter coil build, plus squishing the coil together to remove all coil spacing results in the smoothest possible vapor.

Can anyone confirm my findings? Or does anyone have any tips because I have still to replicate the smooth hit from clearomizer sub tank cartridge's that are non mesh. I am starting to think this is because the cotton is wrapped around the outside of the coil instead of being shoelace through the middle of the coil.

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

CloudyFutures

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2017
Are you using an RDA or an RTA?
What is the build you are using (wire gauge, ID, wraps, Ω, power level/watts?) and with which (brand/model) device?
What battery device are you using?
Why only Kanthal?
Are you mixing the 35mg/ml down to a lower level?

Cheers
I
So, my experiments are with 22,28,30 and 32ga wire. 4-5 wraps. ohms 1 - 1.8, 5-15watts. Voopoo vinci x, swagg 2. PnP RBA Coil, Claymore RDA, Gas Mods Hala RDTA, Wotofo STNG RDA.

I previously excluded the device because I don't think these affect vape smoothness. Not even sure if there is a word for that under vaping verbiage. Kanthal because I believe its the safest most stable wire under any conditions which might cause chemical break down in metals.

High Nics are the hardest to smooth out. This whole post is a non issue when it comes to DTL. In DTL all the airflow and low 3% NIC usually create smooth silky vapor. In MTL with high NIC there is less airflow and more flavor - So when building it is more susceptible to tasting like chunky vapor.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Some devices are better a power regulation than others, 10 watts SHOULD be 10 watts, but that is not always the case.

IMO, Pick a unit (RBA/RTA) and build, rebuild, rinse and repeat until you master it.

Some toppers will never give you "your" perfect vape, some work out of the box.
However, I found most require 10-12 builds to get ID, wire tension, wraps, coil position, wick density, air flow and power balanced with the juice I vape.

The process you follow can be applied to any "topper" you choose.

Adjust coil position, adjust power, adjust air flow, adjust recipe.
Wrap the coil in the opposite direction, maybe try a parallel or twisted 30 or 32AWG coil (Coffee cup method). Change wick brand, wick technique and density.
Ignore the wattage numbers on the screen: start low and adjust up until you get the vape you enjoy.
Add a wrap or three to your builds, try a 2.5mm or 3.5mm or greater ID, perhaps remove a wrap or drop your nicotine level. Adjust the VG content or try another flavor profile. Fruit VS custard VS dessert type VS tobacco/menthol.

I'm a fan of SS316 @26AWG.
I have a hard time with SS316 at 28AWG, I just don't get the vape I want.
I also like nichrome wire if using fine claptons (VV superfine). I haven't used kanthal since I discovered SS and since I can use the SS in wattage or TC mode, it covers many bases. I also like the cleaner flavor of SS. (completely subjective)

Personally, I prefer a small chamber, bottom air fed unit for best flavor.
I use 6mg/ml freebase with a 3mm ID, spaced .6Ω round wire coil on a mech at 20-25 watts. Rayon wick and 80% VG give me the "shape" of the vape I want.
Relaxed MTL, a 3 or 4 second pull, approx 10-12ml per day of 5% (TPA DRY-4) flavor DIY juice.
Smooth, medium cloudy, with a full mouth feel and just the right amount of TH. Current flavor could be better, but the RDA I use (BIOCHIP) is just about leak proof, so I compromise.

Keep on it, it will come.
The worst part about starting out is: you don't know what you don't know, yet.

Pro tip:
Take every RDA/RTA to bits and wash/rinse with hot water and dish soap before use.
Dry burn your new coil to orange (low power) to remove oils and residues.
Wash your hands before wicking the build.
Watch as many build videos as possible and take copious notes about your attempts.

HTH
Cheers
I

CloudyFutures

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2017
I'm a fan of SS316 @26AWG.
I have a hard time with SS316 at 28AWG, I just don't get the vape I want.
I also like nichrome wire if using fine claptons (VV superfine). I haven't used kanthal since I discovered SS and since I can use the SS in wattage or TC mode, it covers many bases. I also like the cleaner flavor of SS. (completely subjective)

Personally, I prefer a small chamber, bottom air fed unit for best flavor.
I use 6mg/ml freebase with a 3mm ID, spaced .6Ω round wire coil on a mech at 20-25 watts. Rayon wick and 80% VG give me the "shape" of the vape I want.
Relaxed MTL, a 3 or 4 second pull, approx 10-12ml per day of 5% (TPA DRY-4) flavor DIY juice.
Smooth, medium cloudy, with a full mouth feel and just the right amount of TH. Current flavor could be better, but the RDA I use (BIOCHIP) is just about leak proof, so I compromise.

Wow! you have given me a lot to work on here. I wasn't sure about SS in wattage mode. I really never took the time to learn about running TC Mode. But I will defiantly pick up some 32ga SS. I have tried a few claptons/fused 30/38 Kanthal and couldnt get it right. So Im stuck on wire. Maybe I should give my flat wire another try.

Thanks for all these pro tips!

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I did the MTL search or a while and finally hit on what works for me. I use 26 ga kanthal at 1.0 ohms at 15 watts. I use a Geekvape MTL RDA sitting on a Dovpo squonker. For me it is the perfect MTL vape. I vape 12 mg freebase. I don't use salts. That's my story however it may or may not help.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Izan is right about taking notes as you go along - I learned that the hard way many years ago in tobacco blending and home winemaking. It seems a chore writing it down but when you hit a winner you really do want to be able to replicate it.

Aain everyone's idea of a perfect vape is likely to be a bit different - for example, for me its 28 guage wire wound to a spaced coil of around 0.9 ohms running at around 14 watts using 16 strength freebase ... but that wouldn't suit everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread