Another battery question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Geeze seems kind of scary!! Should I just not use this and go with something I can set the watts on?

No, smok is a well known brand, and I doubt they would put something out if it didn't work. Since you have a Smok atomizer with a smok mod, everything should work just fine. If you decide to go with another atomizer, It will probably be fine as well, but it's just an "unsure" thing. If it works, there's no need to change anything.

The only other thing, is if you're trying to stop smoking, it's ALWAYS good to have a backup device... a complete atomizer and mod combination. I would probably stick with a single battery mod as well, since you'll have spare batteries for that. When you get a mod with dual batteries, you need to keep those batteries paired together, but with single battery mods, you have a bit more freedom from that. If you do decide to get a second single battery mod, perhaps you could try the fully adjustable regulated mod and see how that works for you. A bit of a learning curve, but very easy to get used to.

For now though, I wouldn't worry about it. just don't get any .15 coils for the mod because of your 15a battery.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Was eyeballing the Smok Al85, and based of the .6 coils now I can use the 30q batteries in it as well as if I use the .4 coils too as long as keep it on the suggested watts right?

The Smok AL85 should be fine. The reason adjustable mods are so popular, is because they are adjustable. If you want less vapor, lower the wattage. If you want more, you can raise it. If you want to know the limits of the battery, you can go to ohms law calculator and punch in the ohms of the coil, and the amps of the battery, and it will give you the maximum wattage and at what volts that will be at. I did that for the .6 ohm coil, and your 15 amp limit from the battery, and it came out to 135 watts.. which is well above the maximum the mod can produce.. so you should be fine.

For the most part, you should be fine in most cases. with a 60w ,mod, don't go below .267 ohm coil. with an 80w, don't go below .355 ohms... if you do that, you will never run into an issue with your batteries.

I vape my .8 ohm coil at 30 watts. I use 6.5 amps, and I'm quite fine with those settings.

• Agree

rocknmum

Apr 11, 2013
Windham, ME, USA
The Smok AL85 should be fine. The reason adjustable mods are so popular, is because they are adjustable. If you want less vapor, lower the wattage. If you want more, you can raise it. If you want to know the limits of the battery, you can go to ohms law calculator and punch in the ohms of the coil, and the amps of the battery, and it will give you the maximum wattage and at what volts that will be at. I did that for the .6 ohm coil, and your 15 amp limit from the battery, and it came out to 135 watts.. which is well above the maximum the mod can produce.. so you should be fine.

For the most part, you should be fine in most cases. with a 60w ,mod, don't go below .267 ohm coil. with an 80w, don't go below .355 ohms... if you do that, you will never run into an issue with your batteries.

I vape my .8 ohm coil at 30 watts. I use 6.5 amps, and I'm quite fine with those settings.
So I could definitely vape around 30w with the stuff I have already on the al85 I’m assuming when you say 135w that means you can’t go above that right based on the ohms calculator?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
The smoke AL85 is a regulated one battery 18650 mod. It is rated to fire between 1 and 85W. You will be ok with the 30Q battery at 30W with room to spare. With a 15 AMP battery you should be able to go up to 60W. If you go above that with that battery, it is not so much that it would be unsafe on the regulated mod but the battery will sag and the performance will be bad. It will also cause the run time to be lower and may cut the overall life of the battery down. Even with a 3000mAH battery, unlikely that you will get a full day out of one battery. Depends on how much you vape though.

rocknmum

Apr 11, 2013
Windham, ME, USA
The smoke AL85 is a regulated one battery 18650 mod. It is rated to fire between 1 and 85W. You will be ok with the 30Q battery at 30W with room to spare. With a 15 AMP battery you should be able to go up to 60W. If you go above that with that battery, it is not so much that it would be unsafe on the regulated mod but the battery will sag and the performance will be bad. It will also cause the run time to be lower and may cut the overall life of the battery down. Even with a 3000mAH battery, unlikely that you will get a full day out of one battery. Depends on how much you vape though.
Gotcha. I may try that then as I’m told that seems to be a good starter. I’m gonna go back to the other post and see what was suggested there as well.

rocknmum

Apr 11, 2013
Windham, ME, USA
Thank you guys again for your advice, I went with the Al85 after watching some YouTube reviews. Both my mother and I put our Priv v8 up and I gave her one of my AIOs to use until I get the new one then she’s gonna try it and see how it goes. I’m seriously glad this forum is here you guys have been a tremendous help for sure!

Reactions: Baditude

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
When using a regulated power device battery amp draw will be highest at the power devices low voltage cut off.

15a CDR cells are good up to 45ish watts per cell.
1 cell power device 45w - 2 cell power device 90w - 3 cell 135w,,,
3v / 45w = 15a

20a CDR cells are good up to 60ish watts per cell.
1 cell power device 60w - 2 cell power device 120w - 3 cell 180w,,,
3v / 60 = 20a.

25a cells = 75w per cell.

30a cells = 90w per cell.

Mooch explains in simple terms how to calculate regulated power device amp demand --->
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

The Al85 has a relatively high low voltage cut off ranging between 3.35v ~ 3.57v, meaning between recharge cycle / run time will be less/shorter than a power device with a 3v - 3.2v low voltage cut off.

Daniel does a good review --->

• Useful
Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread